As a Consumer Would You Rather?

Traditional Console + Everything Exclusive 20 42.55%

Xbox/PC Hybrid + Access t... 27 57.45%

Total:47
G2ThaUNiT said:
JRPGfan said:

https://kotaku.com/starfield-vulture-quest-worth-it-review-1851557774

What do you guys think about this?
A content DLC (quest) for Starfield, costs 7$ and is basically just a run and gun, mission that takes less than 20m to complete.
(author thinks if you had a really power character, high level, you could do it in half that time)

Would you pay 7$ for a "bethesda made" quest, thats then possibly done in 10 minuets?

Definitely not. That can quickly become a domino effect of Bethesda trying to paywall additional quests that they make down the line, into ESVI even, that can then extend to other developers/publishers to try to paywall story-based content. Which is not something I will support. Horse Armor DLC all over again

I personally have no qualms with paid mods, but, it has to be mods from the community! Someone who spent weeks making a piece of content themselves, entire questlines even, deserves to have some sort of royalty for the work they put in. 

But developer made mods, absolutely not. And from what it sounds like Todd is alluding to, this isn't going to be the last time they try this. Feels like a worse type of microtransaction. 

Let me ask this question because from what I have read about the creation club and the modders there, they are paid like employees but they are not employees.  Meaning that BGS pay them to make mods and I believe they also get a royalty percentage as well of sales.  These guys are not actually BGS employees they are just modders who signed up for the creator club.  I believe the difference is that their stuff is QA unlike your average modder content and it goes through some form of review.

I do not believe this is microtransaction but instead a way to get modders who really want to make a career doing mods actually have a means to make money from their work which can support them.  Gamers seem to forget that it takes a lot of time, resources and effort to make mods and when you have a job, bills, life, family all asking for your time, getting paid is one way to help support the effort.  The only difference is that if its paid that means there will be a higher standard held for that content an thus it cannot be half baked efforts.  I personally have no issues paying for content no matter who makes it as long as its up to a quality level I deem worth my money.

Around the Network
Machiavellian said:
G2ThaUNiT said:

Definitely not. That can quickly become a domino effect of Bethesda trying to paywall additional quests that they make down the line, into ESVI even, that can then extend to other developers/publishers to try to paywall story-based content. Which is not something I will support. Horse Armor DLC all over again

I personally have no qualms with paid mods, but, it has to be mods from the community! Someone who spent weeks making a piece of content themselves, entire questlines even, deserves to have some sort of royalty for the work they put in. 

But developer made mods, absolutely not. And from what it sounds like Todd is alluding to, this isn't going to be the last time they try this. Feels like a worse type of microtransaction. 

Let me ask this question because from what I have read about the creation club and the modders there, they are paid like employees but they are not employees.  Meaning that BGS pay them to make mods and I believe they also get a royalty percentage as well of sales.  These guys are not actually BGS employees they are just modders who signed up for the creator club.  I believe the difference is that their stuff is QA unlike your average modder content and it goes through some form of review.

I do not believe this is microtransaction but instead a way to get modders who really want to make a career doing mods actually have a means to make money from their work which can support them.  Gamers seem to forget that it takes a lot of time, resources and effort to make mods and when you have a job, bills, life, family all asking for your time, getting paid is one way to help support the effort.  The only difference is that if its paid that means there will be a higher standard held for that content an thus it cannot be half baked efforts.  I personally have no issues paying for content no matter who makes it as long as its up to a quality level I deem worth my money.

^ Machiavellian that was my understanding too, a place to sell mods made by the community.

The quest in question however, is I believe made by bethesda themselves.
If you google "who made the vulture quest" + "starfield", you get a responce that reads:

"The Vulture quest and most other Tracker Alliance content are all made by Bethesda, and this mission costs 1,000 credits. After paying for and downloading the Creations content, you can start on this new mission in Starfield"

I think the issue, and why its gotten any attention at all.... is because this is not a community mod.
This was bethesda themselves makeing a 20min quest, and decideing to sell, storyline content behinde a dlc, in their own shop.... for 7$.

I know its a minor thing, but like others have mentioned before, where does this lead too? or end?

Reviewers seem to think, that if you had a powerfull character, you could complete this quest in 10mins or so (it took one 20mins to do).
And it costs 7$.

I think if game devs can sell skins for outragious prices..... theres no reason quests or story cant be locked behinde dlc as well, or atleast thats bethesdas thinking there.  Which was why I asked people in the xbox thread what they though about it.

Bethesda took the feedback from this quest, and said they would look at the priceing of quest-line dlc.
Thats bascially hinting that this is not the last time, we'll be seeing quests or story locked behinde dlc in-game shop from them.
They might just make it slightly cheaper.

Last edited by JRPGfan - 2 days ago

Shinobi-san said:
G2ThaUNiT said:

Awesome to see another Age of Empires fan in the thread!

Excited for Age of Mythology: Retold in September?!?

I've never tried Age of Mythology - not sure if I should wait for the remake or go try the original...

I'm also planning on giving Stormgate a try - seems to be a half-decent Starcraft clone lol

It's a lot of fun! There is the Extended Edition on Steam that will probably be like $5 when the summer sale goes live today if you wanna try it out as I don't think that version is on PC GP. The Extended Edition includes the Chinese pantheon, but I never played that version.

But it's fundamentally the same to Age of Empires in terms of raw gameplay that you'll experience most of the match. Where Mythology separates itself from Empires is in god choosing. Before you start a game, you choose one of the major gods (faction basically) Ra, Zeus, Odin, or Kronos for example. Each major god gives you a one time "god power" that you can use based on the major god you chose, an additional technology trait, a unique military unit, and a few additional bonuses. 

Each time you level up, you get to choose a minor god that adds a few additional benefits based on the pantheon you chose. So if you chose Zeus as your major god, minor gods such as Apollo or Athena will be selectable when you age up that might give you a 10% defense buff or something like that. Each age also adds Hero Units. Such as Hercules if you're playing as the Greek pantheon. They add a lot of new variety to the match.

Of course there is unique buildings, units, and abilities for every pantheon, so playing as the Egyptians will be very different over playing as the Norse. Unfortunately, you never actually see the gods lol. That's the one downside. Hopefully if a sequel is made, they can incorporate something like that.

EDIT: I actually forgot, you can summon Titans! Those are really cool to see, but you can't begin to summon them until you're in the last age.

I'm also looking forward to Stormgate! I backed it on Kickstarter. If Blizzard doesn't want anything to do with StarCraft, then at least the OG StarCraft devs are doing something about it lol

Last edited by G2ThaUNiT - 2 days ago

G2ThaUNiT said:

This is a pretty insane theory, but a very convincing one.

I don't think the logic is sound here.

The 4 trailers with missing platforms is probably just Xbox being non commital for anything that is more than 18 months away as a way to manage risk.

If they release a system in 2026, and they very much could, I don't see a way where they could drop support for series X and S for a long time afterward.

My guess is if they drop next gen early they will adopt a strategy to support current gen through the next one. ex:

EDIT: crappy screenshot because table cell merge and split does not work apparently:

Doing so they will entirely drop the "reboot" happening at every gen cycle and I think this is actualy required in order to maintain gamepass userbase throughout gens cycles.

Around the Network

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

G2ThaUNiT said:

Probably just Indiana Jones and Wolfenstein 3 I'd guess, unless they have smaller teams assisting on other Zenimax studio games (Doom, Blade, etc.). The 6-9 figure budget range won't be talking about small single A tier game budgets on the low end (6-7 figure), but rather individual department budgets, in addition to them being in charge of the overall game budget on each project (likely both 9 figure considering modern AAA costs). 300+ devs between these multiple games isn't really enough for more than 2 projects at once, Indiana Jones alone should easily account for 200+ of those 300+ devs, with the remainder doing early work on Wolfenstein 3 hopefully.

shikamaru317 said:
G2ThaUNiT said:

Probably just Indiana Jones and Wolfenstein 3 I'd guess, unless they have smaller teams assisting on other Zenimax studio games (Doom, Blade, etc.). The 6-9 figure budget range won't be talking about small single A tier game budgets on the low end (6-7 figure), but rather individual department budgets, in addition to them being in charge of the overall game budget on each project (likely both 9 figure considering modern AAA costs). 300+ devs between these multiple games isn't really enough for more than 2 projects at once, Indiana Jones alone should easily account for 200+ of those 300+ devs, with the remainder doing early work on Wolfenstein 3 hopefully.

I mean, that's kinda what I was hoping for tbh. It's now been 7 years since New Colossus and would like to see the revolution played out. 

MachineGames could also be making more new content for Quake 1 and 2 since they love making expansions for those games, but that wouldn't be taking up that much of the budget. They only work on the single player expansions too, so if a Quake 3 remaster is currently in the works, I doubt MachineGames has any involvement.