By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

As a Consumer Would You Rather?

Traditional Console + Everything Exclusive 20 42.55%

Xbox/PC Hybrid + Access t... 27 57.45%

Total:47
VersusEvil said:

Because shadow dropping a game hasn’t ever backfired 😬

Do you think Tango would have not been closed if Hifi Rush didn't shadow drop? I think most of us can agree, it wouldn't have mattered. 

Last edited by smroadkill15 - on 03 June 2024

Around the Network
smroadkill15 said:
VersusEvil said:

Because shadow dropping a game hasn’t ever backfired 😬

Do you think Tango would have not been closed if Hifi Rush didn't shadow drop? I think we can all agree, it wouldn't have mattered. 

From what I understand, Tango was setup as a sub-division of ZeniMax Asia. Now that ZeniMax Asia is being shuttered, Tango was collateral damage from that closing.

That's a hard pill to swallow if that turns out to be true. Idk if it would've helped if Hi-Fi Rush wasn't a shadow drop, but I like to think it wouldn't have hurt if the game was shown off at something like TGA just a month prior that would've had a lot more eyes than a shadow drop on a much smaller platform focused Developer Direct. 

G2ThaUNiT said:
smroadkill15 said:

Do you think Tango would have not been closed if Hifi Rush didn't shadow drop? I think we can all agree, it wouldn't have mattered. 

From what I understand, Tango was setup as a sub-division of ZeniMax Asia. Now that ZeniMax Asia is being shuttered, Tango was collateral damage from that closing.

That's a hard pill to swallow if that turns out to be true. Idk if it would've helped if Hi-Fi Rush wasn't a shadow drop, but I like to think it wouldn't have hurt if the game was shown off at something like TGA just a month prior that would've had a lot more eyes than a shadow drop on a much smaller platform focused Developer Direct. 

I heard the same and it's one of reasons why I don't think it have changed the outcome, unfortunately. 

While more exposer is certainly a good thing, wasn't it Tango's idea to shadow drop the game? Shadow Dropping creates it own exposer that brought tons of attention to the game it might not have gotten, especially with it be really damn good. Hack and Slash games in general have never been big sellers, tack on being a rhythm game, it makes it more niche and unlikely to be a big seller regardless of marketing before hand.

Towerborne being developed by a 3rd party studio already prevents any discourse about MS shutting the studio down. 

I think it's Gears Collection.

Ryuu96 said:

Yeah I can see that happening. Something like that definitely doesn't need a huge amount of marketing to sell lol

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:

That would be EPIC 😛

Nope, not going to draw me in.  

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Ryuu96 said:

Agreed. If you send out something small like Towerborne in a shadow drop, it'll just be like HiFi all over again, middling sales at best even if it reviews well. Gears Collection is something that can sell itself without a big marketing campaign. 

Nothing can sell without a big marketing campaign. Games like Palworld or PUBG when they fist launched are the exception of the rule.

Having said that, shadow dropping can be part of a big marketing campaign. It depends on the plan after dropping it. That applies to all kind of games and it doesn’t matter if it Gears or a new game.

Going in today, see you sexy bastards soon, they better be quick with the surgery or I'll miss E3.

Surgery isn't today but I need to be in today.