By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Do the announced changes at Halo Studios (prev. 343 Industries) have you optimistic for the future of the franchise?

Yes 12 50.00%

No 9 37.50%

Still need convincing (sp... 3 12.50%

Total:24
konnichiwa said:
shikamaru317 said:

Looks like AC Shadows has a significantly more contained and realistically scaled map than the previous 3 RPG AC games.

I guess the season pass + updates will add maps again...

Purchases today:

-Colar pals (if you know you know)
- Xenon Valkyrie+(99 cents so yeah)
- Spirit Hunters Infinite Horde (Vampire survivors kind of game that the community seems to love) 

Yep, seems that way, 2 expansions that add new regions of Japan to the map:

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
Ryuu96 said:

I'm simply pointing out that right now there's a critically acclaimed, loved by the public and critics, TV Show featuring a white protagonist in feudal Japan who is loosely based on William Adams who became a samurai. Yasuke in Assassin's Creed is based on a real life person too called Yasuke, whether he was or wasn't a samurai is debatable but Assassin's Creed every single time has made changes to historical figures.

Nioh is loosely based on William Adams too.

Your response to Versus to me came across as you trying to bait him into looking hypocritical.

Not baiting. Just wanted to find out where he stands on the subject. 

My stand is that I thought it was awesome that the main protagonist of Assassins Creed Valhalla was Norwegian. As I am Norwegian myself. 

Now Im not a huge Assassins Creed fan, but every protagonist of the franchise has been a native from the country that is being portrayed, right? Why couldnt the protagonist of a game set in Japan be Japanese?

I could have got mad that Valhalla, a game largely set in England, has me play as a Norwegian Tbh, Lol. Like 80% of that game takes place in England. But I didn't cause that would be dumb, especially since it happened (story itself is fictional but the Vikings did expand into England). Just like Yasuke did exist in Japan and William Adams did exist in Japan but both have been many times loosely adapted and changed, Yasuke by Japanese creators themselves even.

There is a Japanese protagonist in the game, it's the woman, she is the daughter of a historical figure too IIRC and you can pick and choose which one you play as, if I recall correctly, they opted to make the 2nd protagonist someone outside of Japan to give the sense of a "uncharted" viewpoint, someone not fully used to Japanese customs and cultures, exploring it from a fresh perspective.

If they went with William Adams instead of Yasuke, like Nioh did, would anyone be complaining?

AC Revelations takes place in Constantinople and you play as an Italian, Black Flag is set in the West Indies and you play as a Welshman.

NightF0x73 said:
G2ThaUNiT said:

MS and Valve have put that into consideration. Valve has for a long time actually had a"Big Picture Mode" but it was kinda trash for years, but then when the Steam Deck came out, they took the UI from that system and completely replaced Big Picture Mode with the Steam Deck UI. So it's a very couch friendly experience if you want to hook up your PC to your TV. 

MS has also recently been taking this into consideration, also because of Windows-based handheld PCs lol (handheld PC gaming is really a revolution these days) so they've added a "Compact Mode" to the Xbox App. It's just the flick of a button in the menu and you'll then be able to run both Steam and the Xbox App from the comfort of your couch. 

Thanks for the info !

You're better at marketing than Microsoft :P

no problem! MS has actually very recently been continually improving Compact Mode for the Xbox App. Starting today they're adding the improvements in the link below if you wanna check it out.

Compact Mode continues evolving in the Xbox App on PC - Xbox Wire

Ryuu96 said:
KLXVER said:

Not baiting. Just wanted to find out where he stands on the subject. 

My stand is that I thought it was awesome that the main protagonist of Assassins Creed Valhalla was Norwegian. As I am Norwegian myself. 

Now Im not a huge Assassins Creed fan, but every protagonist of the franchise has been a native from the country that is being portrayed, right? Why couldnt the protagonist of a game set in Japan be Japanese?

I could have got mad that Valhalla, a game largely set in England, has me play as a Norwegian Tbh, Lol. Like 80% of that game takes place in England. But I didn't cause that would be dumb, especially since it happened (story itself is fictional but the Vikings did expand into England). Just like Yasuke did exist in Japan and William Adams did exist in Japan but both have been many times loosely adapted and changed, Yasuke by Japanese creators themselves even.

There is a Japanese protagonist in the game, it's the woman, she is the daughter of a historical figure too IIRC and you can pick and choose which one you play as, if I recall correctly, they opted to make the 2nd protagonist someone outside of Japan to give the sense of a "uncharted" viewpoint, someone not fully used to Japanese customs and cultures, exploring it from a fresh perspective.

If they went with William Adams instead of Yasuke, like Nioh did, would anyone be complaining?

AC Revelations takes place in Constantinople and you play as an Italian, Black Flag is set in the West Indies and you play as a Welshman.

AC Revelations is a continuation of a story and Black Flag is about a pirate who travels all over the Carribean. Not really about a specific country.

I would feel the same way if they went with William Adams, yes.

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
Ryuu96 said:

AC Revelations is a continuation of a story and Black Flag is about a pirate who travels all over the Carribean. Not really about a specific country.

This very much feels like moving the goalpost, Lol.

"Every protagonist of the franchise has been a native from the country that is being portrayed, right?"

You asked this and it's wrong. But I can be more specific then. Edward Kenway is not a native of ANY country in the Caribbean. He's from Wales. He's a fictional character at that. Vast majority of Valhalla takes place in England, which Eivor is not a native of. AC Revelations is a continuation, it doesn't change the fact that Ezio isn't a native of Constantinople, the country being portrayed.

And technically, all AC titles are a continuation of the other.

But I didn't get upset about any of those and they all made sense in context, just like Yasuke.

So I assume you are upset about Afro Samurai, Nioh, Samurai Warriors 5, Guilty Gear Strive and all the Japanese creators that had adapted or had characters inspired by Yasuke? And since Nioh uses William Adams, I assume you displayed this same level of upset when Nioh released, correct?

G2ThaUNiT said:

Actually shocked.

• New IP - Shocked.
  • Narrative Experience - Shocked.

I'm assuming this is the "RPG" that they've been hiring for years but people assumed it was either cancelled or mistaken.

Maybe they're trying to replace a Destiny hole in their heart? Poland is smart, salaries are fairly cheap there so there's potential to just poach a bunch of employees from less wealthy companies and it's a hotbed of RPG talent thanks to CDPR.

TIL Welsh people are natives of the Caribbean, I’ll need to update my birth certificate.

Ride The Chariot || Games Complete ‘24 Edition

My thoughts on the whole AC Shadows controversy:

-The culture war between the two groups (SJW's and anti-SJW's is what I call them) has been brewing for some time, it initially came to a head during Gamergate a decade ago, a battle which the anti-SJW side largely lost, and now after a decade of brewing it seems to be coming to a head again now. Multiple recent games have become battlefields in this culture war, including another upcoming Ubisoft game, Star Wars Outlaws, which has seen some criticism over the design of it's main character. I suspected as soon as I read the leak about Yasuke being playable in AC Red a year ago that AC Red would become one of the battlefields in this greater culture war, and I was right.

-What few historical records we have of the time period (many of the records from the period were stored in a castle in Japan that burned down I believe) show that Yasuke was not a full-blown samurai like Ubisoft is portraying him as, but a form of retainer called a Kosho, equivalent to a page for a European knight. The duties of a Kosho include carrying the weapons and gear of their master during military campaigns, doing daily chores, and protecting their master with their life, so Yasuke would have received combat training to better protect Nobunaga. He did fight in at least one battle, records show that he was present at Nobunaga's side during the Honno-Ji incident, and fought to protect Nobunaga's son after Nobunaga's seppuku, but ultimately surrendered to Akechi's forces after being promised safety if he laid down his sword. He was then sent back to the Portuguese Jesuits who originally gave him to Nobunaga as a servant, and was mentioned as being alive in a Jesuit letter 5 months later, thanking God that Yasuke had survived.

-Ubisoft is portraying him as a full-blown Samurai, complete with an expensive armor set and a 2 sword set (daisho), which though not accurate compared to the records we have of that period, is far from the first time he has been portrayed as a samurai, he has been portrayed as a full blown samurai in multiple modern era forms of media, from mangas and animes, to the games Nioh 1 and Nioh 2 from Team Ninja (the Obsidian Samurai in those games is Yasuke). I do find it kind of odd that Ubisoft in particular is being singled out for portraying him as a samurai when multiple other creators in the modern era have portrayed him as such first.

-Ubisoft has never claimed the series to be 100% historically accurate, they have taken liberties with most of the real-world historical figures in the games, the only real difference here is that we are playing as a real historical figure for the first time in an AC game.

-I have seen both sides of this conflict posting insane takes on the situation. We have one side attempting to edit Wikipedia to claim Yasuke was a full-blown samurai, and trying to add him to the list of western born Samurai alongside people like William Adams (who John Blackthorne in Shogun is based on) all just to defend a video game of all things, and meanwhile on the other side I have seen people claiming that Yasuke was treated poorly by Nobunaga who considered him to be an ape/simian that he trotted out at parties so that his friends could laugh at him, which goes against historical record, Jesuit records claim that Nobunaga treated Yasuke with respect and made him one of his closest servants due to his immense physical strength, and claim that many Japanese citizens around Kyoto believed that Nobunaga would make Yasuke a lord one day once he finished uniting Japan.

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 16 May 2024

Ryuu96 said:
KLXVER said:

This very much feels like moving the goalpost, Lol.

"Every protagonist of the franchise has been a native from the country that is being portrayed, right?"

You asked this and it's wrong. But I can be more specific then. Edward Kenway is not a native of ANY country in the Caribbean. He's from Wales. He's a fictional character at that. Vast majority of Valhalla takes place in England, which Eivor is not a native of. AC Revelations is a continuation, it doesn't change the fact that Ezio isn't a native of Constantinople, the country being portrayed.

And technically, all AC titles are a continuation of the other.

But I didn't get upset about any of those and they all made sense in context, just like Yasuke.

So I assume you are upset about Afro Samurai, Nioh, Samurai Warriors 5, Guilty Gear Strive and all the Japanese creators that had adapted or had characters inspired by Yasuke? And since Nioh uses William Adams, I assume you displayed this same level of upset when Nioh released, correct?

Nioh was a new IP. There was no expectations set for that franchise yet. Nioh 2 has a Japanese protagonist.

I think you are trying a bit too hard to make a point about natives though. Edward is a pirate. Why would he sail around Wales? There are multiple protagonists in Revelations. And Valhalla starts off in Norway and you play as a Norwegian character. 

Also Im not upset by any of this or anything you mentioned. I just find it weird that they wouldnt use a native character this time around. Thats obviously what many fans of AC was expecting. Otherwise there wouldnt be any drama about it.