By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

As a Consumer Would You Rather?

Traditional Console + Everything Exclusive 20 42.55%

Xbox/PC Hybrid + Access t... 27 57.45%

Total:47
shikamaru317 said:
Ryuu96 said:

45% say no, Lol.

Those who vote to make it Ultimate only are likely already largely on Ultimate, the EU confirmed that the vast majority of Game Pass subscribers are already on Ultimate which accounts for 70-80% of Game Pass subscriptions. So changing it to Ultimate only won't change much for most people voting in that poll of which I imagine almost everyone glued into Jez's twitter account are on Ultimate, having said that, I don't think I would be too opposed to making it Ultimate only simply because I'm on Ultimate, Lol.

Those voting yes naively believe that Game Pass is the reason for the layoffs/closures that have affected the entire industry where Game Pass doesn't exist. Not to mention, what AAA day one releases? In 2021, Microsoft had Forza Horizon 5 which still sold great, over 1m in early access sales alone, Halo Infinite a F2P title, in 2022 they didn't have a single AAA release, in 2023 they had Starfield which despite Game Pass still sold great and the only new IP which charted in some sale metrics IIRC.

Can someone tell me a single Xbox IP that Game Pass has hurt? Do people seriously believe Hi-Fi Rush or Redfall would have sold millions if not for Game Pass? C'mon man. A niche title and a straight up bad title. I'll say again, even if Game Pass didn't exist these layoffs and closures would be happening, it's not about simply being profitable but being incredibly profitable, Microsoft says they closed Tango to streamline operations and focus on impactful IPs, aka Elder Scrolls/Fallout/Doom, Hi-Fi Rush doesn't fit into that even if GP didn't exist.

Feels like people turning on Game Pass, the most consumer friendly thing in gaming, despite multiple developers saying how much it has helped them, despite the fact that Game Pass itself is profitable, simply because it's the easy thing to blame and the naïve belief that it would change anything, that Microsoft won't have layoffs if they start suddenly charging us $30 for it or if they just kill it off.

Yeah, it's a shame that Gamepass may end up changing in the end, I love it's incredible value, for a gamer with my budget it has been the best thing that has happened to gaming in my adult life. 

I definitely think the bean counters will get their way in the end and some changes will happen, some combination of day one releases ending or being moved behind Ultimate, Gamepass prices rising a good bit over the next couple of years (especially ultimate prices if they do decide to lock day one releases behind Ultimate). Microsoft wants to see that ABK $70b+ paid off quickly, not over the course of decades.

Yeah and people will be shocked when they make these changes and still have layoffs/closures, Lol. Look at Sony, they are having an incredible generation but they've shut down 4 studios in 4 years and have had hundreds of layoffs, how do people think Xbox is going to avoid that situation when the company which is currently pummelling them in the console market is also doing this?

Day one I'm fine with moving behind Ultimate only because I'm already on Ultimate and have NEVER been on the basic plan, also because according to the EU, the vast majority are on Ultimate anyway, I also expect Game Pass prices to rise but it's still incredible value to me so I'm willing to accept price increases to a certain point.

Like I said in my other post, there's other things that need doing too, streamlining the tiers, adding it to Steam, etc. They kill off day one releases though and I think I'm done with Xbox...Going back to having to buy stuff $70, I might as well just swap to Steam since they make everything cheap as fuck fairly quickly, Lol.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 14 May 2024

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

Interesting results here, seems like more people believe Xbox should either stop doing day one AAA releases on Gamepass or make them Gamepass Ultimate only, than believe Gamepass should stay as is, 3% more people as of now, 45% say to stay as is while a combined 48% say a change is needed to improve Xbox's profitability. 

Don't know if this is your opinion Shikamaru and I'm not attacking you by any means :) BUT I need to talk about those tweets...

See, this is nuts to me; the media are all after GamePass like they know that it is the reason for those studios closing (when the whole industry is doing the same). Why do we even have this question in the first place? Other than a "PR" guy (ex-Microsoft/EA) who "claims" stuff out of his ass about GamePass not being accounted for when setting targets, why are people, all of a sudden, after GamePass like it is THE reason for those layoffs/closures. Microsoft just acquired a truck load of studios, closing some of them instead of laying off people in all studios is just expected (not a good thing, sucks for the people losing their job, but expected). GamePass has nothing to do with that...

I, for one, believe that GamePass is doing WAY more good for those studios than bad AND Microsoft leadership is NOT dumb, they are not asking those studios to sell as much (or more) than before if their games are coming on GamePass day 1. 

Every time Microsoft (Xbox) is doing something bad, everybody is panicking, starting shit like "Xbox looking after its soul" (Dumb Bryan something from IGN), etc... Even when the whole industry is doing the exact same thing.

That being said :) I think having AAA Day 1 for ultimate is okay for me as I use Ultimate. But at the end; people are all getting standard GamePass for the games, the AAA and others, so I do not see how this would be a good thing. I'm struggling to see why the question is being asked in the first place like I said.

Imaginedvl said:
shikamaru317 said:

Interesting results here, seems like more people believe Xbox should either stop doing day one AAA releases on Gamepass or make them Gamepass Ultimate only, than believe Gamepass should stay as is, 3% more people as of now, 45% say to stay as is while a combined 48% say a change is needed to improve Xbox's profitability. 

Don't know if this is your opinion Shikamaru and I'm not attacking you by any means :) BUT I need to talk about those tweets...

See, this is nuts to me; the media are all after GamePass like they know that it is the reason for those studios closing (when the whole industry is doing the same). Why do we even have this question in the first place? Other than a "PR" guy (ex-Microsoft/EA) who "claims" stuff out of his ass about GamePass not being accounted for when setting targets, why are people, all of a sudden, after GamePass like it is THE reason for those layoffs/closures. Microsoft just acquired a truck load of studios, closing some of them instead of laying off people in all studios is just expected (not a good thing, sucks for the people losing their job, but expected). GamePass has nothing to do with that...

I, for one, believe that GamePass is doing WAY more good for those studios than bad AND Microsoft leadership is NOT dumb, they are not asking those studios to sell as much (or more) than before if their games are coming on GamePass day 1. 

Every time Microsoft (Xbox) is doing something bad, everybody is panicking, starting shit like "Xbox looking after its soul" (Dumb Bryan something from IGN), etc... Even when the whole industry is doing the exact same thing.

That being said :) I think having AAA Day 1 for ultimate is okay for me as I use Ultimate. But at the end; people are all getting standard GamePass for the games, the AAA and others, so I do not see how this would be a good thing. I'm struggling to see why the question is being asked in the first place like I said.

Yeah, as far as I know it is just the one former Xbox employee who blamed Gamepass for Xbox's current woes, I haven't seen it from any known reliable insiders. 

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 14 May 2024

This image got a laugh out of me, imagine Cal hitting up a Taco Bell. 

Around the Network

I think EA makes even less games worth giving a shit about than Ubisoft so I would have absolutely no problem never buying a game from them again.

Ride The Chariot || Games Complete ‘24 Edition

I’ve decided to become a Nintendo stan and main the New Nintendo Switch next gen. 🙏 leaving the world of peasants behind me. #acendedtoahigherplane

Last edited by VersusEvil - on 14 May 2024

PS5 Outsold Series X/S by Almost 5x Last Quarter

How do you even overcome this?

havoc00 said:

PS5 Outsold Series X/S by Almost 5x Last Quarter

Cry myself to sleep hugging my Master Chief body pillow 🥺

havoc00 said: