By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Ryuu96 said:

Might as well just go fully multiplatform now with absolutely everything if the financial twats are controlling everything now, I don't want to see studios die because Xbox/PC isn't enough, it's clear that Game Pass is no longer a safety blanket (I know HFR still flopped on PS but some other titles wouldn't) like what happens when Hellblade doesn't sell gangbusters? Multiplatform or death?

"These changes are grounded in prioritizing high-impact titles and further investing in Bethesda's portfolio of blockbuster games and beloved worlds which you have nurtured over many decades," wrote Matt Booty, head of Xbox Game Studios, in an email to employees Tuesday.

So basically, AAA blockbuster or death, amazing. We'll see a lot less A-AA titles from Xbox moving forward, what a lesson to learn from the horrific state of the AAA industry lately, to double down on it, Lol.

I was wondering how HFR did on PS5, but since I didn't hear anything about it, but heard Sea of Thieves did well, I figured it didn't do well. It released in a crowded period for single player games though, but that's my copium talking.

This policy to focus on the big AAA titles and ignore the smaller ones seems to me like a recent change. Because why would MS shadow drop Hi-Fi Rush on Xbox with 0 promotion leading up to launch if the survival of the studio was hinging on its sales?

Not every great franchise finds its audience right away. We've seen several recent examples that persisted for decades before they blew up. Yakuza, Persona, Nier, etc.

Last edited by Hiku - on 07 May 2024

Around the Network

Ain’t enough flex seal in the world to patch this ship with the amount of Ls Microsoft has taken this gen. Honestly curious how many more Ls the community is willing to take.

Last edited by VersusEvil - on 07 May 2024

Ride The Chariot || Games Complete ‘24 Edition

It's becoming clear to me that as Game Pass growth has slowed, Xbox is increasingly looking to take an IP first approach to its consumer facing business. That's not to say service and platform aren't still important, but that it seems like Xbox wants its games to be profitable as standalone titles. Previously, Xbox was looking at Game Pass as a way to offset development costs for its own first party titles. It doesn't look like that's the case anymore, and also helps explain their recent exploration of releases on competing platforms.

He will not easy get first, the Union is strong in France but then I will not be surprised if he is going to leave by his own merit.

Tango posting about all the rewards they got too...How happy they seemed to be just to win an award.

Around the Network

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Ryuu96 said:

It's becoming clear to me that as Game Pass growth has slowed, Xbox is increasingly looking to take an IP first approach to its consumer facing business. That's not to say service and platform aren't still important, but that it seems like Xbox wants its games to be profitable as standalone titles. Previously, Xbox was looking at Game Pass as a way to offset development costs for its own first party titles. It doesn't look like that's the case anymore, and also helps explain their recent exploration of releases on competing platforms.

With 34M subscribers that should be $1 billion+ per quarter in revenue. I see the Game Pass price going up again later this year before Call of Duty hits the service. This time possibly a bigger increase.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Ninja Theory is probably closed next year.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 07 May 2024

Microsoft has become one of the greediest companies ever. Also, management of Xbox is terrible and who gets axed for their terrible decisions? Their employees who work like crazy to keep them satisified.

The shitty thing is, the industry is such a mess right now that few people can even leave because nobody is fucking hiring and everyone is laying off so they're basically forced to stay in this shitty situation and wait for a bullet in the back of their head.

People like Josh Sawyer? They could probably get hired by someone, he's a veteran of the industry but anyone who worked under him? They don't have the same reputation, they won't get hired, they'll be forced to stay at Obsidian or w/e because there's no jobs for them.