By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Ryuu96 said:

I really hope XGSP will publish their IP if they make a deal.

I think Spyro/Crash fit better under the XGS banner anyway.

Activision is more associated with pew pew, dudebro, mature rated games.

Plus what does Activision even publish? Sekiro? Anything else? Lol.

And Sekiro was 2019 lol. Only other game released in the past 5 years that wasn't Crash or Spyro was Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2.

Before that would've been Destiny 2 in 2017. 

Around the Network
EpicRandy said:

There's also the question of who owns Toys for Bobs now. Is it the Current CEO (ms is unlikely to just give someone a company so here there should have been monetary compensation even if it's a symbolic amount), a renouncement made by toys for bobs own workers and/or directors (unlikely that would be the case without mention), was it a spin-off which made ms shareholders also the shareholder of Toys for Bobs(unlikely, too many shareholder it would be known by now).

It's the current CEOs, TfB call themselves indie now and when Twisted Pixel/Bungie were spun-off it just went back to their CEOs.

Honestly it's pretty great to see someone spinning off studios wholly independently and not shutting them down even when shutting them down would be a lot easier, not only that but throwing them a financial bone with the offer of a deal, it's so fucking refreshing after all the closures lately.

Can't remember it being done much aside from Bungie, Twisted Pixel, IO Interactive and now Toys for Bob.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 29 February 2024

Yeah agree with Ryuu, glad to see studios regain independence instead of just getting closed down. Hopefully, a trend that will continue. Maybe something some of the studios with Embracer could do? *cough* Crystal Dynamics *cough* Eidos

https://insider-gaming.com/star-wars-mandalorian-game-canceled/

Looking at those leaked details, I'm really not sure why EA cancelled this one. According to his sources, the game wasn't a mess, in fact playtesters were loving it. I guess they just thought it was too much of a risk and that the devs would be better spent working on the safer sequel to Jedi Survivor and Apex Legends content. What a shame.

NobleTeam360 said:

Yeah agree with Ryuu, glad to see studios regain independence instead of just getting closed down. Hopefully, a trend that will continue. Maybe something some of the studios with Embracer could do? *cough* Crystal Dynamics *cough* Eidos

Dream would be for Crystal and Eidos to leave TOGETHER as they've been sister studios for most their lives now, they support each other a lot, it'd be like splitting a family, Lol. Imagine a publishing house made up of them both, Crystal Eidos? Toys for Bob can re-join them like the old days. Buuuut zero chance Embracer does that, Lol.

I would rather Toys for Bob stay with Microsoft but if they wanted their independence then I wouldn't like Microsoft forcing them to stay, it could also be about how volatile the industry is right now so beneficial to both parties, Toys for Bob gets its independence back, away from Activision and Microsoft cuts costs a little more without killing a studio but also maintaining a partnership with them.

The layoffs suck ass but I appreciate that lately Microsoft at least tries to avoid total shutdowns of studios.

When Eidos spun off from Square, it ended up being a good thing for Eidos and gamers.

People are sad about TfB not working on family titles for Xbox but there is literally zero reason why Xbox would need to own TfB to achieve that goal? Lol. Plenty of studios out there (including TfB) can work with XGSP on family titles and according to credible rumours, there's already both a Spyro and Banjo in development, Lol. It'd be risky for TfB going solo too, likely in their best interest to work with Xbox for now.

So many of Xbox's recent moves though make a lot more sense in the context of the overall shitshow of the industry, everyone is making cuts and trying to work out what the future will be but I actually believe Microsoft has a plan at least and is moving forward with it, despite some not liking it, I think it's what is needed to get through these shitty times, nobody knows what the future will be and right now everyone is trying to figure it out.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 29 February 2024

Around the Network

One thing to consider (and I believe that's what happened), is that they may have been targeted for closure after the restructuring (or at least a lot of layoffs).
Microsoft talked to them (or TFB leadership talked to Microsoft) and offered them that alternative, which would explain why.

Everybody wins like that in the end; Microsoft does not need to do more layoffs (or fewer at least), TFB studio stays alive, and people keep their jobs as independent studios, costing nothing to Microsoft. And they can still get a partnership with Microsoft after that.

Last edited by Imaginedvl - on 29 February 2024

DroidKnight said:

Playing the demo for this left a much stronger impression. Until you shared it I didn't realise this was the Vanillaware game that finally decided to grace Xbox. Suddenly makes sense why it was getting so much buzz, but I only now finally looked into it.

Also they literally put this on PS4 and Switch but not Xbox One lmao. Xbox One still getting bodied beyond the grave.

shikamaru317 said:

https://insider-gaming.com/star-wars-mandalorian-game-canceled/

Looking at those leaked details, I'm really not sure why EA cancelled this one. According to his sources, the game wasn't a mess, in fact playtesters were loving it. I guess they just thought it was too much of a risk and that the devs would be better spent working on the safer sequel to Jedi Survivor and Apex Legends content. What a shame.

Looks like they are getting away from "licensed" things (like FIFA, Starwars, etc.).

I think the issue was not with the games but the revenues on those games probably, and they thing that it is not really worth the time and effort probably.

T-minus 21 days until the only RPG outta Japan worth caring for releases.

Ride The Chariot || Games Complete ‘24 Edition

VersusEvil said:

T-minus 21 days until the only RPG outta Japan worth caring for releases.

But Final Fantasy VII Rebirth came out yesterday

Spoiler!

lol