By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

I'm curious as to how much of this is because of lockdown when gaming went through astronomical levels, but has now leveled out and game companies are still trying to expect lockdown numbers. 

Around the Network
G2ThaUNiT said:

I'm curious as to how much of this is because of lockdown when gaming went through astronomical levels, but has now leveled out.

That is probably part of it and the industry expected the growth to continue. Other issue is how much AAA games cost now. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

aTokenYeti said:
Ryuu96 said:

The games industry feels like it’s on the edge of collapse, which is wild after the great year that 2023 was. 

It seemed to go like...

• "Oh, budgets are increasing, we'll be fine though"
  • "Oh, this looks a little concerning but hey, it's fine right now"
  • "Hmm, concerning, but that's a future problem"
  • "Oh shit shit shit, what do we do, how do we fix this"

Developers making the actual games been trying to warn those at the top for years though...

trunkswd said:
G2ThaUNiT said:

I'm curious as to how much of this is because of lockdown when gaming went through astronomical levels, but has now leveled out.

That is probably part of it and the industry expected the growth to continue. Other issue is how much AAA games cost now. 

Yeah, the other issue is company shareholders do NOT want to see decline or even stagnation, they require endless growth, it ain't sustainable but that's the world we live in and then workers get punished as a result.

But AAA costs are rising far quicker than what profits you make out of them.

Gaming as we know it simply won’t exist by the end of this decade. Disgusting.

Ride The Chariot || Games Complete ‘24 Edition

Around the Network
aTokenYeti said:
Ryuu96 said:

The games industry feels like it’s on the edge of collapse, which is wild after the great year that 2023 was. 

Yeah, I'm starting to see why even Sony is talking about multiplat releases. The market conditions seem bleak, and with the kind of AAA budgets Sony has (every AAA in recent years at least $200m, some ovee $300m), multiplat actually makes alot of sense even if hardware and accessory spend is impacted somewhat by losing exclusives.

aTokenYeti said:
Ryuu96 said:

At least for the big 3, both Microsoft and Sony had record revenue despite Microsoft not moving consoles and Sony not releasing many games.  Nintendo did very well considering the Switch is 7 years old.

Ryuu96 said:
trunkswd said:

Yeah, the other issue is company shareholders do NOT want to see decline or even stagnation, they require endless growth, it ain't sustainable but that's the world we live in and then workers get punished as a result.

When a game needs to sell 10 million units at full price to break even we have a problem. 

And a lot of companies trying to get into live service games when in reality most people only have time to do 1 or 2 live service games at a time. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

VersusEvil said:

Gaming as we know it simply won’t exist by the end of this decade. Disgusting.

As long as native hardware gaming continues to exist, I will likely still be gaming. I just worry about an all-cloud gaming future, something major is going to have to change to fix the latency issues there for Cloud to ever be viable imo. Even streaming from console to phone over my home wifi (which is Wifi 6 Mesh) has considerable lag, if there is that much lag added by a signal traveling a dozen feet from console to router to phone, how much latency does the nearest Xbox Cloud server being 300 miles away introduce? I don't know if that limitation of Cloud gaming can ever be overcome.

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 15 February 2024

trunkswd said:
Ryuu96 said:

When a game needs to sell 10 million units at full price to break even we have a problem. 

And a lot of companies trying to get into live service games when in reality most people only have time to do 1 or 2 live service games at a time. 

Japanese game companies seem to have their budgets in check. Seeing releases such as Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Persona 3 Reload, and Granblue Fantasy: Relink selling 1 million copies and have it be cause for celebration whereas in the west numbers like that would be deemed as a complete failure. 

Then again, idk the cost of living in Japan. I know in places like NYC, $100K has the same buying power as having $35K. A lot of major companies are based in California where like Ryuu mentioned, has an absurd cost of living. So if you want to bring on a good developer, that's six figures for just one. Then multiply that by hundreds, if not thousands.