By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Zippy6 said:
shikamaru317 said:

The end result was an extremely cocky and full of themselves Playstation, who charged $500 and $600 respectively for the two PS3 launch models (1 year after Xbox 360 launched for $400)

I said this recently in another thread. The $599 was not because of cockiness though. Every PS3 was sold at a huge loss and they lost billions. They didn't charge $599 because they were cocky, if they charged less they would have literally died. It was just a terribly designed piece of hardware. Cell and Bluray were both mistakes for a 2006 console. I won't deny that some of their statements you mentioned were horrible, but I don't think the PS3 era is any evidence at all that a dominant PlayStation will overcharge consumers and I think the "Sony has no competition! Price will go up and be insane!" comments are silly. They undercharged with the PS3, they just shouldn't have designed something so expensive.

I would make the argument that they only designed PS3 which such high specs that they needed to charge $500 and $600 at launch, because they were arrogant enough to believe that their fans would buy the console at those prices. They could have designed a cheaper console with specs just over Xbox 360 and sold it for the same $400 that 360 launched for 1 year earlier, but instead they went with specs that were very expensive (and ultimately harder to develop for, so most developers never made use of those higher specs), all because they believed their fans would be willing to pay $500-600 for those specs. Ken Kutaragi's "the PS3 is for consumers who think to themselves 'I will work more hours to buy one' "basically confirms that Sony thought their customers should be willing to work more hours just to pay for such a high end console.

With Xbox essentially out of their way now in terms of hardware at least, maybe Sony will go back to that same way of thinking again. Maybe they won't though, we'll just have to wait and see. At the very least Gamepass should be able to keep them in check in terms of service pricing as long as Xbox doesn't go jacking up Gamepass prices thanks to Activision games being added (which may not even happen with CoD if some of these leaks are to be believed), and maybe Xbox can even manage to set the tone for next gen of staying at $70 game pricing (though they probably want to go up to $80 as well honestly, as do most of the game publishers I'm sure).

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:

Btw a verified Persona leaker has just said that Persona 2 and 4 remasters are in development for Switch 2 and next gen Xbox. That wouldn't make sense if the next Xbox was 2028 surely? Would it even be in development for a console which is 4 years out? Xbox wouldn't even have the specs yet, Lol.

Surely another point in favour of 2026?

Also they said all platforms + Switch 2 and next gen Xbox.

Maybe I'm reading into it but the fact that they didn't say PS6 makes me think next gen Xbox is sooner.

So all platforms (Xbox Series/PS5/Switch) + Switch 2 + Xbox Next.

ice said:

What's everyone's Xbox eXit plan?

Having thought on it some more, I don't think I really have one.

I don't want to lose Game Pass, my achievements and absolutely zero change to how excited I am about Xbox's future IP and Xbox Series X will still provides me with everything I need/want so there's no point selling it, I'll ride out the rest of the generation with Xbox Series X and then look at Xbox's next hardware plans to make my decision.

Meanwhile, since I already have a gaming PC, I just never used it, I may experiment a little with it otherwise I wasted my money, I might try a few games, check out Steam and some modding, I might experiment with upgrading my GPU...Just for the experience and education in case I do eventually make the switch to PC but if I were to do that, I would probably just give my nephew this PC and restart from scratch, Lol.

At the end of the day, it's either I stick with Xbox hardware or I switch to PC, I don't want to wait for timed exclusivity on Xbox titles even if it's a few months, Lol. I don't want to lose my achievement score, I don't want to lose Game Pass, all of those things are available via either Xbox or PC. But the only reason I haven't made a full move to PC in the past was largely laziness, convenience and being a little intimidated by it.

There's still a way that I stick to Xbox hardware depending on what they do with it, I love the idea that everyone is spreading now about turning Xbox consoles under the Surface team into a sort of mini-PC with a Windows OS but Xbox UI, finally merging the Xbox Store/Windows Store into one, transferring digital licenses, easier porting for developers since everyone ports to PC now and then going a step further and allowing Steam on it.

That'd be the ultimate box for me and I probably wouldn't bother with upgrading my PC if it happened.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 06 February 2024

What gets to me is they’ve known these rumours for months in some form but have waiting till they’ve reached boiling point and decided to wait another fucking week 😂

Ride The Chariot || Games Complete ‘24 Edition

Also I would probably be interested in a Xbox handheld that works similar to Switch, Lol.

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:
Ryuu96 said:

Btw a verified Persona leaker has just said that Persona 2 and 4 remasters are in development for Switch 2 and next gen Xbox. That wouldn't make sense if the next Xbox was 2028 surely? Would it even be in development for a console which is 4 years out? Xbox wouldn't even have the specs yet, Lol.

Maybe I'm reading into it but the fact that they didn't say PS6 makes me think next gen Xbox is sooner.

MS's plans for Xbox Hardware may very well be revealed as soon as next week so we may not have long to wait. New hardware coming before the end of 2026 is looking quite likely imo.

If they can make a very good price to performance ratio handheld I'd be very interested. Though they might have a hard time selling me it over a Windows Handheld as emulation and so on...

Last edited by Zippy6 - on 06 February 2024

People keep talking about PC but if DF is any indication, most PC ports suck balls unless you kit your system balls out with top gear. Its the main reason why I do not waste my time gaming on PC that much because I really do not have the patience or time playing around with drivers and wonky ports. I rather just spend the 400 to 500 bones on a console and just pretty much go from there.

I personally have no exit plan for Xbox. I do not care about physical because I have a garage full of physical games I find myself never going back to and playing. I do not have enough time in the day to play old games let alone playing the new stuff. I do not care about collecting games anymore because I never do anything with them but store them away for no purpose. Since most of these games need patches and what not, by the time you circle back to play them you would be lucky if the patch servers are still running.

I say this still with the fact that I purchase the majority of all my games physical but that's because by the time I usually purchase a game its months to years later so they are always on sale. All MS really have to do is just have a bunch of sales like Steam with games really cheap or the same price and people will move to digital because at the end of the day I would believe most gamers really do not care about if its physical or digital, they only care about price.

Personally, I am interested in the balance act MS is going to try to pull if they are putting their games on Nintendo and Sony. Is it still case by case. Mostly just service games and smaller titles. Just ABK and Bethesda titles and their own in house stays exclusive. Who really knows. If they want to still sell consoles at some decent rate, they will need to balance this out like only putting their first party games on Sony system after 2 years, pretty much same strategy Sony does with PC.

If MS decide to go full third party and make a PC gaming PC and handheld now that would be interesting and pretty bold if you ask me.

Ultimately, I think they will need a drastic move to make Xbox hardware remain appealing in some fashion, it can't just be anymore "another Xbox but slightly stronger" and I think it has to be either uniqueness in the hardware (like Switch) or they need to make drastic changes to the system itself, I.E. it's time to make Xbox an open system running Windows.

I believe the Surface team are in charge of Xbox hardware as well since recently, Surface hardware has always been interesting.

I'd actually be excited about the idea of a Xbox handheld and an open Xbox system

The core issue of this approach would be digital licenses and B/C...For digital licenses, I think anything Xbox owns is simple, Play Anywhere, Microsoft can easily give us the digital licenses on this new combined "Xbox/Windows Store" but third parties will tell them to get fucked and want people to rebuy everything because at the end of the day, it won't be the Xbox store anymore, where they purchased their things.

B/C is an issue too, they can emulate it elsewhere but again, the licenses are for Xbox store only.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 06 February 2024

Ryuu96 said:
Ryuu96 said:

Well, we had the original AMD leaker back in like September who said Xbox decided to release earlier next gen, in 2026, but then recently we had MLID saying that Xbox signed their next-gen chipset contract with AMD later than Sony did, which would seem to indicate a later release than PS6, or a rushed release the same year. However, considering that MLID's track record is sketchy at best, and now this Persona leaker indicating that P6 and P2R will will be releasing on Xbox Next but not PS6, I'd be inclined to believe that Xbox Next is 2026 while P6 and P2R will both release before PS6 releases in 2028.

You know how you go to the Xbox website to custom make a controller. Why can't you go to the same site and have a physical disc and case made for the consumers that still want physical media? Charge me extra for the price of the case and disc.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.