By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Machiavellian said:
shikamaru317 said:

Rumor is the Sea of Thieves port to PS5 will be announced today on the Sony State of Play, smh. Bad enough they are giving away Xbox exclusives to start with, even worse that they are advertising said ports on a direct competitor's showcase event. It's like signaling to PS5 owners "no need to buy a cheap Series S in a sale to play our exclusives, if you wait long enough we will bring our games to you here on PS5". 

Interesting that you see it that way.  I on the other hand think it's the smartest move MS could have done.  If you are going to put your service game on every platform and especially if you want a big crowd to see your service game on a particular platform, having it presented on their platform is the way to go.

Not sure why anyone is crying about MS putting Sea of Thieves on PS5.  It just seems silly to limit any service game to just one platform especially the amount of investment that usually has to go into putting out constant content.  Even so so service games bring in a nice chunk of money that are on every platform.  If you see Sea of Thieves as something that make PS5 players decide not to get a series S than it might be how you view the market.  No one who has a PS5 is looking at Sea of Thieves as a game that they will get a series S for.    MS need a multiple years of great AAA games to budge any PS5 gamer and its not going to be some service game that does it.

If it was just Sea of Thieves it wouldn't be so bad, it is a service game from 2018 afterall, everyone who was willing to buy a console to play it will have already done so. But we're also hearing talk of HiFi Rush, a 1 year old game, coming to other platforms. We even had a leaker claim that Xbox is discussing making all upcoming Zenimax games multiplat because Xbox hasn't been happy with their sales as Xbox/PC exclusives. I fear Xbox is about to cross into very dark territory that is bad for Xbox console owners.

Around the Network

Stellar Blade looks great on this State of Play, makes me sad that is game was once coming to Xbox, before Sony sunk their claws in. Hopefully it at least makes it to PC eventually.

Edit: Zenless Zone Zero looks good as well. I don't know if I will ever forgive Phil for passing on the Mihoyo deal when Mihoyo came to Xbox before Playstation, we've now missed out on 3 great Chinese games thanks to that move. 

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 31 January 2024

shikamaru317 said:
Machiavellian said:

Interesting that you see it that way.  I on the other hand think it's the smartest move MS could have done.  If you are going to put your service game on every platform and especially if you want a big crowd to see your service game on a particular platform, having it presented on their platform is the way to go.

Not sure why anyone is crying about MS putting Sea of Thieves on PS5.  It just seems silly to limit any service game to just one platform especially the amount of investment that usually has to go into putting out constant content.  Even so so service games bring in a nice chunk of money that are on every platform.  If you see Sea of Thieves as something that make PS5 players decide not to get a series S than it might be how you view the market.  No one who has a PS5 is looking at Sea of Thieves as a game that they will get a series S for.    MS need a multiple years of great AAA games to budge any PS5 gamer and its not going to be some service game that does it.

If it was just Sea of Thieves it wouldn't be so bad, it is a service game from 2018 afterall, everyone who was willing to buy a console to play it will have already done so. But we're also hearing talk of HiFi Rush, a 1 year old game, coming to other platforms. We even had a leaker claim that Xbox is discussing making all upcoming Zenimax games multiplat because Xbox hasn't been happy with their sales as Xbox/PC exclusives. I fear Xbox is about to cross into very dark territory that is bad for Xbox console owners.

Let me ask you this, did Ori going to the Switch also make you feel the same way.  I mean out of all the games that is coming out on the MS platform, 2 games going multiplate is getting you feeling a certain way.  I have said this before, MS does not care about what you care about.  MS is never going to win the console war because the console war is over.  In order for MS to see real success they have to think way different and upset the market in a different way.  MS does not care if you do not purchase a Xbox next gen because you fear you can get their games on PS, Nintendo, PC, Smart Phone.  They have moved on from that type of thinking and they are more concerned about getting you into GP, no matter what hardware you are on or just playing their games no matter what platform you choose to use.  The game is different and you guys will have to realize, at some point, that MS is also different in their approach to the market.

Kojima playing both sides at the same time :')

No SoTs PS5 announced, quick Shika go chase down the UPS man tell him to give your Xbox back ;)

Ride The Chariot || Games Complete ‘24 Edition

Around the Network
Machiavellian said:
shikamaru317 said:

Let me ask you this, did Ori going to the Switch also make you feel the same way.  I mean out of all the games that is coming out on the MS platform, 2 games going multiplate is getting you feeling a certain way.  I have said this before, MS does not care about what you care about.  MS is never going to win the console war because the console war is over.  In order for MS to see real success they have to think way different and upset the market in a different way.  MS does not care if you do not purchase a Xbox next gen because you fear you can get their games on PS, Nintendo, PC, Smart Phone.  They have moved on from that type of thinking and they are more concerned about getting you into GP, no matter what hardware you are on or just playing their games no matter what platform you choose to use.  The game is different and you guys will have to realize, at some point, that MS is also different in their approach to the market.

I already woke up and realized that Xbox's vision no longer aligns with mine, nor does Sony's for that matter, it's why this will probably be my final generation buying a Microsoft or Sony home gaming console. They're both trying to sell people on console hardware while simultaneously putting all of their so-called exclusives on PC. Sony at least waits 2 years or so to port their 1st party, but they're both doing it now. What purpose does a console serve these days really? Exclusives no longer exist, you get less customization of graphics/framerate options, pricing is barely better than comparable PC hardware, PC is more controller/gamepad friendly than ever before, you have to pay for multiplayer on console but not on PC, crossplay on basically every multiplayer game these days means you're stuck playing against mouse and keyboard players anyway just like you would be playing on PC with a controller/gamepad, PC has the largest game library by far, not only across all generations but within each generation as well. Consoles have lost nearly every edge they once had in the console vs PC debate, about all that's left now is a small price/performance advantage that really amounts to nothing in the long run thanks to paid multiplayer on console

I will stay subbed to Gamepass obviously, there is no denying it is the best value in gaming by a country mile, even more so because it's free for me thanks to Microsoft rewards (and will cost even less of my reward points once I switch to PC since the PC Gamepass codes cost less than Gamepass Ultimate codes). In a way I'm doing what Microsoft wants, by staying on their ecosystem at all, but at least I won't be a big enough dope to give them $500 again (likely more for the high end console model next-gen) for an Xbox console and then miss out on many games since quite alot of developers don't seem to want to port to Xbox hardware. 

PixelPirate said:

He will always prioritize work with Sony as far as his largest projects, which now includes a MGS-style game it seems lol. 

While it's cool he's also working with Xbox, it's clearly a much smaller project. Should still be really interesting to see how it turns out though. 

VersusEvil said:

No SoTs PS5 announced, quick Shika go chase down the UPS man tell him to give your Xbox back ;)

Leave it to Colt Eastwood to talk out of his ass:

Now he's claiming it was a joke, smh. More like your "sources" have proven to be ass yet again. 

We know it is happening eventually though, Jez and multiple other insiders have now confirmed that SoT, HiFi, and other Xbox games are going to other platforms no matter how much Xbox fans complain about it. In Jez's words, no amount of hopium or copium by Xbox fans at this point will prevent these ports to other platforms from happening. 

I wonder why Xbox doesn't allow Game Preview games to show on up their Most Played chart? Would have been cool to track Palworld's Xbox active playerbase over time using official numbers, but looks like we will have to rely on TrueAchievements Xbox player tracker instead, which isn't as accurate. 

G2ThaUNiT said:
PixelPirate said:

He will always prioritize work with Sony as far as his largest projects, which now includes a MGS-style game it seems lol. 

While it's cool he's also working with Xbox, it's clearly a much smaller project. Should still be really interesting to see how it turns out though. 

Do we know details of what his Xbox project is?
Or it's presumably smaller scale because Death Stranding 2 and this not-MGS game are large scale?

I was thinking it's wild that his studio is working on 3 games, but I guess that depends on their scale.

The leak I saw of of what games would be on the State of Play was correct, except it also mentioned Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth. But that will be in a separate SOP on Feb 5.

It makes sense for Xbox to port some of their games on other platforms considering the situation they are in with console sales, eespecially when those platforms don't allow Game Pass.