By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
G2ThaUNiT said:

I probably should've elaborated lol. I replied to Ryuu pointing how much uncertainty there is the industry, Western AAA gaming appears to be heading towards some sort of crash with unknowns as to how the industry will look after that and to what extent the damage will be.

I don't think I've ever seen this much uncertainty in the industry in my lifetime. The gaming landscape may look veeeeeery different in 5 years. 

I dont think a crash is gonna occur, or at least in extent to what happened in the 1980s.

Its gonna be a cultural shift and change and digital is likely gonna be the format going forward.

Regardless of what happens, I dont think it will or should affect anyone's future whether they will play games or not. Things change and they've always been changing.

We went from tapes to cds and now digital/streaming.

With one of the rumors saying the next nintendo system will be b/c with digital copies of games (I hope its b/c with both digital and physical myself personally) - it looks like everyone is heading towards a digital road.

Around the Network
Zippy6 said:

Hifi rush got an update on PC today adding Dualsense support. Playstation Icons, Haptic feedback and adaptive triggers. Maybe a sign the rumoured port is real.

Potentially! I would've passed it off as PC gaming just having the ability of playing every game with every controller. I.E. I played Ratchet & Clank with an Xbox controller that had Xbox icons in-game, but I didn't know that it included the haptic feedback and adaptive triggers. I don't think I've seen that in a non-PlayStation Studios PC release before in general. 

Do you think these recent layoffs will affect Xbox games coming out

BiON!@ 

Apparently the average percentage of employees laid off in the wake of a merger is 30%, so with
Xbox laying off 9% they only laid off 1/3rd the typical amount.

G2ThaUNiT said:
Zippy6 said:

Hifi rush got an update on PC today adding Dualsense support. Playstation Icons, Haptic feedback and adaptive triggers. Maybe a sign the rumoured port is real.

Potentially! I would've passed it off as PC gaming just having the ability of playing every game with every controller. I.E. I played Ratchet & Clank with an Xbox controller that had Xbox icons in-game, but I didn't know that it included the haptic feedback and adaptive triggers. I don't think I've seen that in a non-PlayStation Studios PC release before in general. 

There are quite a few games that have support for it on PC that aren't Sony titles. But I believe hifi rush would be the first title with it that isn't available on PS5. I imagine most are just porting their work for adaptive triggers and haptic feedback from the PS5 to the PC so for a non-ps5 game to get it is quite unusual, especially 1 year after launch and after the recent rumours.

Around the Network
crissindahouse said:
konnichiwa said:

Well pushing digital makes sense at the moment.*

If you go any store you barely see Xbox games in Europe, if you can kill physical faster with not releasing physical versions of multiplatform first party games why would you not do it?   I am pretty sure that during holidays a lot of parents don't get an xbox because they don't see games for it.   It is nice to give a gift like a Switch or Playstation that comes with a physical game. We all remember when we got our consoles or physical games as kids.

Yeah and the kids in 2024 will ask why they are supposed to use outdated discs. Not sure why we should compare our childhood with that of those from now and in the future. I don't understand gamers who act like 60 years old who can't go with the time. 

I also remember the good times using a cassette player to record the songs from the radio or how my friends and I borrowed games on the weekends and yet I understand that this is nothing kids in 2024 really ask for. 

I mean, it may come too early for you or a few others but what do you expect? That these companies will still release physical copies in 200 years because there are a few who would like that?

You made me think and I just realised how none of my nieces or nephews have physical copies of games, Lol. In fairness, all they play is Fortnite/Minecraft/Roblox/COD but some of them hardly touch their console either, instead opting to play Roblox on mobile, makes me feel old sometimes because I don't understand why they'd rather play on mobile but they seem better with a touch screen than a controller. In the future we'll have kids smashing us on mobile while we're playing console/pc, Lol.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 25 January 2024

At least the shareholders are happy.... closing above 3 trillion dollar.

shikamaru317 said:

Apparently the average percentage of employees laid off in the wake of a merger is 30%, so with
Xbox laying off 9% they only laid off 1/3rd the typical amount.

The industry right now is pretty brutal, 1900 is a lot, in terms of a percentage though, it's in line with other recent layoffs, with some even exceeding it, Unity cut 25%, Twitch cut 35%, Playtika cut 10%, Thunderful cut 20%, CI Games cut 10%, Riot Games cut 11%, Reikon cut 56%, Bungie cut 8%. Starting off at around 10% and with likely more to come.

I have to wonder, who the fuck decided to move from Unreal Engine to a mobile based engine? That person is responsible for this, I don't think I've seen such a baffling engine decision. Unreal Engine can't support 100 players on a large map, so they decide to instead use a mobile engine? And surprise surprise, the engine is a disaster.

6 years in development, with a very optimistic release date of 2026 for an engine which still isn't in production would have put development at 8 years at the absolute minimum, almost guaranteed to be 10+ years of development if the engine wasn't even production ready? Post-launch support using that engine would have been Destiny 1 all over again as well.

Losing all those talented employees though because someone had the bright idea to force a crappy engine on them...Sure, Unreal Engine may not have worked with the project but then that's a scoping issue? Reduce the scope of your goals, instead of 100 players, make it 50 players? I think 100 players for a survival game sounds a bit ridiculous anyway.

I wonder if they could have salvaged it on Unreal Engine though, at least give them a year or so to see how fast they can make it work, as a test, before making the decision whether or not to cancel the project, unfortunate they didn't even get that chance, I also think they could have been placed inside of other Xbox studios instead of a complete layoff...Have a few games which could use their skills.

I do wonder if Redfall played a part in their decision to cancel it...

crissindahouse said:
konnichiwa said:

Well pushing digital makes sense at the moment.*

If you go any store you barely see Xbox games in Europe, if you can kill physical faster with not releasing physical versions of multiplatform first party games why would you not do it?   I am pretty sure that during holidays a lot of parents don't get an xbox because they don't see games for it.   It is nice to give a gift like a Switch or Playstation that comes with a physical game. We all remember when we got our consoles or physical games as kids.

Yeah and the kids in 2024 will ask why they are supposed to use outdated discs. Not sure why we should compare our childhood with that of those from now and in the future. I don't understand gamers who act like 60 years old who can't go with the time. 

I also remember the good times using a cassette player to record the songs from the radio or how my friends and I borrowed games on the weekends and yet I understand that this is nothing kids in 2024 really ask for. 

I mean, it may come too early for you or a few others but what do you expect? That these companies will still release physical copies in 200 years because there are a few who would like that?

Because visibility sells, I am pretty sure that having barely or none physical games in store make xbox unattractive for uninformed customers who wants to buy  a console for themself or as a gift.   Especially when they are trying to be informed and ask a salesperson who tries to sell those kind of customers a PS5 with disc or Switch because they possibly return and buy some physical games that stores get a cut from...