By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Sometimes I question if Xbox is truly serious about competing with Sony in the console space, between moves like the lack of a price cut for Series S in any region even though it's sales have slowed considerably in most regions and countries, the Japan price increases last year that tanked Xbox Series sales there, and now this boneheaded price increase in Brazil. 

Do you truly want to compete in the console market Xbox, or do you just want to drive people to PC gaming where you don't lose money on hardware like on console since you don't make official Microsoft PC hardware? 

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

Sometimes I question if Xbox is truly serious about competing with Sony in the console space, between moves like the lack of a price cut for Series S in any region even though it's sales have slowed considerably in most regions and countries, the Japan price increases last year that tanked Xbox Series sales there, and now this boneheaded price increase in Brazil. 

Do you truly want to compete in the console market Xbox, or do you just want to drive people to PC gaming where you don't lose money on hardware like on console since you don't make official Microsoft PC hardware? 

As with any price hike, there is more to the story.  I would guess is that MS game sales are lacking in Brazil.  Meaning that MS is not making back sales of the console in Brazil with game sales or maybe even GP subs so it makes no sense to sell at a loss if you cannot recoup cost.

I would probably look at game attach rate and or GP subs in the country to fully understand the price increase.  A lot of times you do have to make moves that do not show up as a loss.  Each market is different.

I don't think they are seriously trying to compete with PlayStation because they know they can't beat them at this stage and I actually fully agree with them that they can't beat PlayStation anymore, I've said since the start that this generation will likely end up with PlayStation once again selling around double Xbox. I believe Xbox is focused more on profit margins now as well and are happy with 3rd place as long as they are profitable.

This Brazilian move is dumb as hell though, far too extreme of a price hike, Series S the same price as PS5 Digital is dumb and Brazil is a market that Xbox is strong in where Series S was selling good so while I think the above for the general pricing strategy of Xbox, when I look at Brazil specifically, I can only conclude this is a dumb as shit move, Lol. Like fair enough if you've given up on beating Sony in general but this is way too extreme.

You can match Sony's pricing, that's fine by me, Xbox ain't ever beating PlayStation again in the wider picture but we're talking about the Series S being the same price as the PS5 Digital which is a lot more powerful than the Series S, Lol. It's a bit of a fuck you to Brazilian customers and basically unless you really love Xbox exclusives makes PS5 the only sensible option from a financial standpoint.

To sum up, this price increase needs to be reversed.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 27 October 2023

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 27 October 2023

Someone on ResetEra as well is claiming to have found a Linkedin page for Hellblade 2 stating it is in "late production/shipping phase"

Around the Network

I think if Microsoft is actually serious about offering a compelling console product for the 10th generation, they need to put a huge emphasis on supply chain efficiency and cost control. They were offering a highly competitive product early in the generation when all parties were supply constrained, but starting around mid 2022 they started falling behind massively in console procurement and it really damaged their sales. The series S simply is not priced appropriately for its level of hardware and the series X is far too expensive to manufacture. There was a huge missed opportunity with their console strategy this generation.

I am also hoping for 10th generation they do not offload a significant portion of the console's compute ability to the cloud. That will pretty much kill the brand for me.

Not sure whether to include the leaked Zenimax document games in the OP for the "rumoured" projects listings, I think yes for Oblivion Remake since that has a lot more smoke to it and was leaked even before the document but for the others they were listed so early and wouldn't have even been in development at the time, maybe not even pre-production for a few of them so they have a good chance of not even happening.