By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Around the Network
Spade said:

Is this their first real 3D tales games? In terms of the world itself, combat stuck to the linear aspect. 

Too many annoying block puzzles, overworld is annoying as hell to walk through, being very slow with a lot of encounters. No fast travel? Save points don't heal HP/MP. 

Made it to the second world, story seems serviceable. Characters, at least better than Graces F for me. Decent plot twist with the Yddrasil (spelled wrong) fight as well. 

Yep, Symphonia is the first 3D Tales game.

Puzzles are like my least favorite thing in the series, for Symphonia especially lol.

Well this is very bad for Sega. They sunk alot of resources into Hyenas, on financials they were calling it their first ever Super Game, basically a high budget game designed to compete with the likes of CoD and Fortnite as I recall. Now it has been cancelled and Sega is planning layoffs and expecting their biggest ever loss on a financial year, 14.3b yen ($95m). I know that Xbox is still locked up on ABK for a short while, but if there was ever a time for Xbox to make a buyout offer, it is now, because the stock price is about the drop pretty hard I reckon. I get the feeling there are already at least 3 very hungry sharks circling Sega after this news, Netease, Tencent, and the Saudi Arabia gaming fund. 

shikamaru317 said:
Spade said:

Maybe they gettin bought out soon.. who knows lol. 

That would be my guess at this point. Either Sony hatted the sequel and extended their hat on the first game, or there are acquisition talks happening and the devs won't risk porting to Switch or Xbox until the talks come to a conclusion (with a likely port if the acquisition falls through and exclusivity obviously remaining if Sony acquires them). 

Or they just do not have the bandwidth and decided to concentrate on one platform.  The thing is, a lot of these developers have to make decisions that best help them to succeed and survive because one miss and its curtains.  Some times its just not a good move to every extend yourself and fail then take a more cautious approach.  Supporting the platform with the biggest install base and keeping your team small and nimble to keep cost in check is also a smart decision as well.

While gamers may view Jim Ryan especially Xbox gamers one way, probably at Sony and in the industry they view him much different. What I mean by that is that during his time, Sony has pretty much peaked with how they have approached the gaming market and how they stand against their own competition. The number one thing for any CEO is not to mess things up, extend the growth of your product and services and compete with your competitors and build on your marketshare advantage. On all these points Jim Ryan has done the job. Even during COVID Sony did not miss a beat while we cannot say the same for MS and even Nintendo had some gap in production. While MS gamers may not like the 3rd party deals Jim and his team has done, you have to admit those 3rd party deals were very effective in making the PS system the most popular console and the must have console for a lot of gamers. Jim is definitely pure corporate C level exec but to dismiss his efforts on the business front is to always underestimate what he has done.

Around the Network
Machiavellian said:
shikamaru317 said:

That would be my guess at this point. Either Sony hatted the sequel and extended their hat on the first game, or there are acquisition talks happening and the devs won't risk porting to Switch or Xbox until the talks come to a conclusion (with a likely port if the acquisition falls through and exclusivity obviously remaining if Sony acquires them). 

Or they just do not have the bandwidth and decided to concentrate on one platform.  The thing is, a lot of these developers have to make decisions that best help them to succeed and survive because one miss and its curtains.  Some times its just not a good move to every extend yourself and fail then take a more cautious approach.  Supporting the platform with the biggest install base and keeping your team small and nimble to keep cost in check is also a smart decision as well.

Eh, they could always find a porting studio if that was an issue, there are loads of studios specializing in ports, and Xbox in particularly might even have been willing to fund a port in exchange for a Gamepass release. 

Machiavellian said:

While gamers may view Jim Ryan especially Xbox gamers one way, probably at Sony and in the industry they view him much different. What I mean by that is that during his time, Sony has pretty much peaked with how they have approached the gaming market and how they stand against their own competition. The number one thing for any CEO is not to mess things up, extend the growth of your product and services and compete with your competitors and build on your marketshare advantage. On all these points Jim Ryan has done the job. Even during COVID Sony did not miss a beat while we cannot say the same for MS and even Nintendo had some gap in production. While MS gamers may not like the 3rd party deals Jim and his team has done, you have to admit those 3rd party deals were very effective in making the PS system the most popular console and the must have console for a lot of gamers. Jim is definitely pure corporate C level exec but to dismiss his efforts on the business front is to always underestimate what he has done.

Sure, from a business perspective I'm sure he was seen as a success by the Sony executives and board of directors. Playstation continued to perform well and even grow during a global pandemic afterall. I do think it's a pretty damning indictment to his image though just how many Sony gamers dislike him. While the suits may remember Ryan fondly, I see quite alot of actual gamers, even PS only gamers, that are rejoicing at his stepping down. They hated how strongly he focused on GaaS games, they hated how he closed down 3 studios after taking over, they hated how he shat on the idea of PS1, PS2, and PS3 being added to PS5 back compat and ridiculed the concept of BC. I think ultimately he may be remembered as either the the worst or 2nd worst Playstation head by most gamers, hard to say how is image will end up compared to Jack Tretton's in the end.

Get Halo Wars 3 in development.

Or Forerunner Wars.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 28 September 2023

shikamaru317 said:
Machiavellian said:

Eh, they could always find a porting studio if that was an issue, there are loads of studios specializing in ports, and Xbox in particularly might even have been willing to fund a port in exchange for a Gamepass release. 

That cost money.  You really do not know the margins they are working with.  You cannot just assume that any developer can just do anything when cost can be tight.  Everything cost money and relationships also may be lacking for them on MS end.  If they are looking to secure more money from Sony that also would be a smart decision as well.  Just from people I know, most new developing studios do not have a lot of cash to just throw away or hope it nets them some gains.  We see to many studios extend themselves way to fast and next thing you know they are done.  What is right for one studios depends on how well their management work with the money they have.

Last edited by Machiavellian - on 28 September 2023

shikamaru317 said:
Machiavellian said:

Sure, from a business perspective I'm sure he was seen as a success by the Sony executives and board of directors. Playstation continued to perform well and even grow during a global pandemic afterall. I do think it's a pretty damning indictment to his image though just how many Sony gamers dislike him. While the suits may remember Ryan fondly, I see quite alot of actual gamers, even PS only gamers, that are rejoicing at his stepping down. They hated how strongly he focused on GaaS games, they hated how he closed down 3 studios after taking over, they hated how he shat on the idea of PS1, PS2, and PS3 being added to PS5 back compat and ridiculed the concept of BC. I think ultimately he may be remembered as either the the worst or 2nd worst Playstation head by most gamers, hard to say how is image will end up compared to Jack Tretton's in the end.

I disagree, on the net as always people who have something to grip about are the ones that well grip you will hear the most. You are prone to see more negative comments then positive on the net than anything else.  I also do not get this focus on GAAS games as Sony continue to pump out the same games that have made them successful but on that same point, if all you do is the same type of games all the time, you miss another segment of your customer base that want something else.  All Sony acquisition have been very strategic in the sense they all mesh very well with what the company has done best as well as build for the future. 

The Bungie acquisition to me is a very smart move.  It gives them expertise in an area they lack and also put them in a position to bring out a GAAS game that actually does not blow up on arrival like Hyena for CA.  People do not hate GAAS games because GAAS games are huge.  Just because you hear grumbling from the people who do not play those games which would be myself included, does not mean its not a viable segement of gaming.

This is the difference when listening to gamers who have no real clue about running a company compared to understanding how the market works and how to position your company for success.  It does not matter if gamers did not like how he closed down those studios, there were probably a lot of reason for the closures that we have no clue about just like how MS closed down Lionhead.  What we see on the surface is only just the tip of the iceberg and we rarely see all the decisions that lead up to such a situation.  Like I said, under Jim Ryan, PS has run not only smoothy but has exceeded all metrics each year.  With stiff competition from MS which have bigger pockets and Nintendo who just knows how to care out their own space, the fact that Sony continue to not only do great but improve their position on all fronts cannot be ignored.  That is hard to do as you only have to look at MS to understand even when you have a great team and you work hard with big pockets, shit can happen to derail all your efforts.  So I highly doubt Sony or Jim care if gamers consider him 2nd worse PS head because I am sure in the business world where it really counts, he will definitely not be considered as such.