By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

I've digested a lot of information but I'm assuming it's the same price as whatever Xbox Series X will be priced at for the time of release? That would make sense to me considering it's essentially a digital only Series X but with a few upgrades to the WiFi and other minor components. Could see Sony doing the same but with their detachable disc drive.

Consumers are largely moving towards digital now so I think the detachable disc drive makes sense.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 19 September 2023

Around the Network
Leynos said:
Ryuu96 said:

I could see Microsoft "copying" Sony with that USB detachable disc drive thing that Sony is reportedly doing for their future consoles.

So far the shell for the PS5 Slim just has the drive there.

Which is also detachable.

Don't see any reason why Xbox couldn't do some form of detachable drive either.

All platforms are slowly but surely pulling the pacifier that is physical media out of our mouths I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo offers an all-digital console as well as a physical.

Honestly, we're already seeing major AAA publishers do digital only release. It will only get "worse" by the time these digital only consoles release. The vast majority of the industry will be digital purchases and we'll see more publishers do digital only releases. Alan Wake 2 is digital only and aside from the complaining when it was announced, I've seen nothing but excitement for the game and people quickly moved on.

I'm all digital and have been since Xbox Series launched (and I think a little at the end of Xbox One) and even on my Switch I'm all digital so it doesn't really bother me that much. Having said that, they could slap a detachable disc drive to the next gen console but by then the physical market will probably be around 10-20%, especially when Xbox has a higher digital ratio than PlayStation already.

For the mid-gen refresh it is probably too late to add a disc drive in but they could maybe add a USB drive attachment. But honestly I don't see the big deal with the mid-gen refresh...It's literally just an all digital Xbox Series X...There is barely any difference except in design...If you want a physical Xbox then the OG Xbox Series X...It's basically the same console, Lol.

It's no different to Sony having a PS5 and a all-digital PS5...Literally we been saying that Xbox should release an all digital Xbox Series X, Lol.

Leynos said:

Same price and all digital consoles? A console at $500 with no disc drive. Not even giving people the option. Def will discontinue OG model after that. Ban me if you wish but fuck MS for that shit.

As a PC only gamer since the end of the 360/PS3 era I'm still astonished how some console gamers still need these discs so badly.  To me it's almost as to see someone with a Walkman.

But I would also appreciate if MS would lower the price even with a bigger drive.

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:

This is what Microsoft expects the costs to be for certain titles on Game Pass.

Red Dead 2 - $5M/mth
Suicide Squad - $250M
Star Wars Jedi Survivor - $300M
Mortal Kombat 1 - $250M
Baldur's Gate 3 - $5M
Gotham Knights - $30M
Assassin's Creed Rift - $100M
GTA V - $12-$15M/mth
Dying Light 2 - $50M
LEGO Star Wars - $35M
Dragon Ball: The Breakers - $20M
Return to Moneky Island - $5M
Wreckfest 2 - $10-$14M
Just Dance - $5M
Blood Runner - $5M
Glitch Busters - $5M

Hence why they need to acquire

Xbox was clearly not expecting Baldur's Gate 3 to be popular; if $5m is what they offered Larian for day one Gamepass on it at the time, it's no wonder it wasn't on Gamepass. I hope they have since made Larian a proper offer to get it on Gamepass in time for the upcoming Xbox port. 

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 19 September 2023

Haven’t bought a new physical game since 2018, I fully welcome the all digital future then one day gaming to just be turned off :)

Ride The Chariot || Games Complete ‘24 Edition

shikamaru317 said:
Ryuu96 said:

This is what Microsoft expects the costs to be for certain titles on Game Pass.

Red Dead 2 - $5M/mth
Suicide Squad - $250M
Star Wars Jedi Survivor - $300M
Mortal Kombat 1 - $250M
Baldur's Gate 3 - $5M
Gotham Knights - $30M
Assassin's Creed Rift - $100M
GTA V - $12-$15M/mth
Dying Light 2 - $50M
LEGO Star Wars - $35M
Dragon Ball: The Breakers - $20M
Return to Moneky Island - $5M
Wreckfest 2 - $10-$14M
Just Dance - $5M
Blood Runner - $5M
Glitch Busters - $5M

Hence why they need to acquire

Xbox was clearly not expecting Baldur's Gate 3 to be popular; if $5m is what they offered Larian for day one Gamepass on it at the time, it's no wonder it wasn't on Gamepass. I hope they have since made Larian a proper offer to get it on Gamepass in time for the upcoming Xbox port. 

To be clear, it's not what they offered, it's just some Microsoft employee spit balling what they THINK it would cost.

crissindahouse said:
Leynos said:

Same price and all digital consoles? A console at $500 with no disc drive. Not even giving people the option. Def will discontinue OG model after that. Ban me if you wish but fuck MS for that shit.

As a PC only gamer since the end of the 360/PS3 era I'm still astonished how some console gamers still need these discs so badly.  To me it's almost as to see someone with a Walkman.

But I would also appreciate if MS would lower the price even with a bigger drive.

Yeah I would hope the price to be lower, it should match what the Xbox Series X is at least at the time of release. These documents are years old so the price probably doesn't factor some things in though like lower production costs, market changes, inflation, etc. If Xbox Series X production costs decrease overtime then so should Xbox Series X Digital.

I don't see why a Xbox Series X Digital which uses 95% of the same parts as Xbox Series X Physical shouldn't cost at least the same, if not lower due to the lack of a disc drive, though no disc drive is probably not saving much and then the improvements to the WiFi and other minor things add small costs so it may even out but Microsoft's pricing has been odd lately, seem to be focused on profitability too hard.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 19 September 2023

I think it's a safe bet that the Cloud hybrid plans for gen 10 have been replaced by a traditional console. If you look at what Xbox was expecting at the time these docs are all from (2020-2021), they clearly thought Cloud gaming was going to grow alot more than it did. As you can see below, they were expecting more Xbox Cloud users than Xbox PC users by about FY2028, roughly 20m active Cloud users by the start of gen 10:

That clearly isn't going to happen, Phil himself admitted on the stand that Cloud isn't growing the way they thought it would, Xbox admitted that the userbase is small enough that they only have the server capacity for 5k peak concurrent Cloud users in the UK, which is Xbox's 2nd biggest market. Seems likely that any Cloud hybrid console plans Xbox have will have been delayed to gen 11, highly doubt they will decide to release such a cloud heavy gen 10 console in 2028 when Cloud gaming has yet to properly takeoff by 2023.