By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Ryuu96 said:

Also, I haven't tested it for myself yet, but apparently removing your spacesuit helps with stealth, Lol.

It probably does, I'm sure that a big bulky spacesuit isn't helping with the way that stealth detection works in Starfield with both a visual and auditory stealth element, though you can get a spacesuit that is better at stealth by starting with a chameleon spacesuit (the one that has active camo when you stand still) and then using the Spacesuit design skill to add the stealth upgrade to each piece of the spacesuit. 

Around the Network

Anyone know how to use a companions Outpost Engineering skill? I assigned someone with it and when I go to the outpost it says Outpost Engineering but it doesn't let me research any of the projects they are blocked do you need something additional like the research skill?

WoodenPints said:

Anyone know how to use a companions Outpost Engineering skill? I assigned someone with it and when I go to the outpost it says Outpost Engineering but it doesn't let me research any of the projects they are blocked do you need something additional like the research skill?

I know this doesn’t help but I don’t know how to use companion skills period and I’m 168hrs in :)

Ride The Chariot || Games Complete ‘24 Edition

Yeah, I never figured out companion skills properly either. Pretty sure the ones that boost your ship will work as long as they are assigned to your current ship's crew and your ship has the ship weapon type that matches their skill (for instance Barrett boosts ship particle beam weapons and Vasco boosts ship EM weapons), and I'm pretty sure the ones that boost one of the ground combat skills buff their own damage if they have that weapon type equipped (for instance you want to give Sarah a Laser weapon, Sam a ballistic rifle, and Andreja a particle weapon such as the Va'Ruun pistol). But I never did figure out how to use the outpost skills on companions, I can't even assign companions to my outpost even though I have hab structures and beds and such for them.

WoodenPints said:

Pretty sure when I assigned a Outpost Engineering fella I didn't need to research anything, it just unlocked stuff for me to place at that specific outpost by them being there, so essentially the research is already done as long as they're there and you can get building stuff related to whatever skill level that companion is at.

Around the Network

I have only done ic Vanguard questline and got the penthouse in alantis and bought the one in well. Did the mantis and the first story mission and couple small ones and I have reached 30 hours. Only level 20 . Oops🤣. I be too op once I focus on the story

Rumour said:

Ryuu96 said:
WoodenPints said:

Pretty sure when I assigned a Outpost Engineering fella I didn't need to research anything, it just unlocked stuff for me to place at that specific outpost by them being there, so essentially the research is already done as long as they're there and you can get building stuff related to whatever skill level that companion is at.

Hmm I can't recall seeing extra things to build been from Outpost Engineering 2 skill the companion has but I will check later and also just to add if you remove that companion to another outpost  do the higher tier things stay or go inactive?

shikamaru317 said:

Yeah, I never figured out companion skills properly either. Pretty sure the ones that boost your ship will work as long as they are assigned to your current ship's crew and your ship has the ship weapon type that matches their skill (for instance Barrett boosts ship particle beam weapons and Vasco boosts ship EM weapons), and I'm pretty sure the ones that boost one of the ground combat skills buff their own damage if they have that weapon type equipped (for instance you want to give Sarah a Laser weapon, Sam a ballistic rifle, and Andreja a particle weapon such as the Va'Ruun pistol). But I never did figure out how to use the outpost skills on companions, I can't even assign companions to my outpost even though I have hab structures and beds and such for them.

The active skills highlight in the crew menu but the one thing I'm not sure is do they add to your levels or if you have a 2 crew with level 2's does it make a level 4.

Scratch that, I may have been seeing things, Lmao. I'm honestly confused as hell now, I thought when I added my companion to an outpost, I unlocked more stuff but apparently it doesn't do that. Apparently they do give passive bonuses but it doesn't say what those are, they aren't 1-1 match with the players skill unlocks but a separate bonus, I think.

IGN Says.

If your companion is stationed on the ship, any ship-related skills are applied to the ship itself.

Some skills, however, don’t actually get assigned to you. They still benefit you, but just in ways you don’t expect.

Take Combat skills, for example. If your companion has the Rifle Certification skill, that doesn’t immediately endow you with the Rifle Certification skill. But they have a higher chance of defeating enemies than someone without a weapon certification.

The same concept applies to research-related skills like Botany or Geology. Those skills aren’t applied to you, but your companion will collect samples while you’re out in the field together and give them to you as gifts.

---

And from what I've gathered from Reddit, as an example, a companion with Piloting Level 4 won't give you Piloting Level 4, it will instead give you +30% top speed, +1 engine power. So they give bonuses in some fashion but not exactly the same bonuses as what the skill gives the player, aside from combat skills which only apply to the companion...Confusing if that is correct.

shikamaru317 said:

You need to build a crew station, 2 crew members per station, it's a desk somewhere in the build menu.

Ryuu96 said:

Scratch that, I may have been seeing things, Lmao. I'm honestly confused as hell now, I thought when I added my companion to an outpost, I unlocked more stuff but apparently it doesn't do that. Apparently they do give passive bonuses but it doesn't say what those are, they aren't 1-1 match with the players skill unlocks but a separate bonus, I think.

IGN Says.

If your companion is stationed on the ship, any ship-related skills are applied to the ship itself.

Some skills, however, don’t actually get assigned to you. They still benefit you, but just in ways you don’t expect.

Take Combat skills, for example. If your companion has the Rifle Certification skill, that doesn’t immediately endow you with the Rifle Certification skill. But they have a higher chance of defeating enemies than someone without a weapon certification.

The same concept applies to research-related skills like Botany or Geology. Those skills aren’t applied to you, but your companion will collect samples while you’re out in the field together and give them to you as gifts.

---

And from what I've gathered from Reddit, as an example, a companion with Piloting Level 4 won't give you Piloting Level 4, it will instead give you +30% top speed, +1 engine power. So they give bonuses in some fashion but not exactly the same bonuses as what the skill gives the player, aside from combat skills which only apply to the companion...Confusing if that is correct.

hmm so some of them skills are probably great but no one has a clue what they do.

I remember seeing a crew member with just level 3 Wellness and I'm like that's a waste of time but maybe it actually gives something decent if stationed at an Outpost for all we know.

I thought I could rely on companion for the Outpost building but now I still need to spend another 7 points before I can even start on it so that's a bit rough.