By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

FTC's expert witness wrote a paper in 2013 that included Nintendo in the console market, Lol.

Vertical Integration and Exclusivity in Platform and Two-Sided Markets (harvard.edu)

I think I read somewhere that FTC only has 1 expert witness whilst Microsoft is prepping 5.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 16 June 2023

Around the Network

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Ryuu96 said:

So, does that mean a total reboot of Halo.  Kill off MasterChief, have one of the Halos blow up the galaxy with everyone on earth and other alien species running for their lives entering a new galaxy with new deadly alien species where UNSC and Covenant need to work together to survive.  Lol, I am sending that script to 343 now to be turned down hard but I can dream.

Machiavellian said:
Ryuu96 said:

So, does that mean a total reboot of Halo.  Kill off MasterChief, have one of the Halos blow up the galaxy with everyone on earth and other alien species running for their lives entering a new galaxy with new deadly alien species where UNSC and Covenant need to work together to survive.  Lol, I am sending that script to 343 now to be turned down hard but I can dream.

Man...if 343 killed off Master Chief, OFF-SCREEN, without the players even getting to say goobye to the character...Halo would actually be dead. The franchise would literally never recover the fan trust. It would be over.

Angelus said:
Machiavellian said:

Man...if 343 killed off Master Chief, OFF-SCREEN, without the players even getting to say goobye to the character...Halo would actually be dead. The franchise would literally never recover the fan trust. It would be over.

Who said they have to kill him off screen.  It could be the opening of the game where you try to prevent the Halo from blowing up. Or you can just put the game 100 years from Masterchief and there is a nice memorial.  The thing is, if you are going to go all new, you kill the old and start fresh.  You take the core mechanics that made the game a success but flip everything else.  Hell, I would be good with a Masterchief AI, which would be fine for the People that need something of the MC in the game.

Around the Network
Machiavellian said:
Angelus said:

Who said they have to kill him off screen.  It could be the opening of the game where you try to prevent the Halo from blowing up. Or you can just put the game 100 years from Masterchief and there is a nice memorial.  The thing is, if you are going to go all new, you kill the old and start fresh.  You take the core mechanics that made the game a success but flip everything else.  Hell, I would be good with a Masterchief AI, which would be fine for the People that need something of the MC in the game.

Nah...

if Chief dies...WHEN Chief dies...he's gotta go out at the end of a full game, like a boss. Not at the start of a game, like you bait and switching players, and failing epically at that in a death that leads to everyone getting killed off. Like, you think you've seen Halo fans pissed off? Lmao, you would get some truly spectacular levels of shitstorm if you pulled that kinda stunt.

Halo isn't being rebooted and nothing in that quote indicates it will be so it's fine.

The last thing that 343 should do is soft-reboot Halo AGAIN.

I mean, Halo 4 was already a large change in the gameplay department, Halo 5 completely ditched the story setup of Halo 4 and Halo Infinite was essentially a soft-reboot in both story and gameplay. How many times do we have to go through it? How many times do we have to go through them abandoning the stories they set up?

Halo Infinite's gunplay is perfect, the story was great and widely praised, they need to lay out a story which can be told over multiple titles and tell that story, not change their mind on their direction on every single Halo. They need to carry on Infinite's story, a soft reboot in story would be incredibly frustrating and a hard reboot would make me lose interest in Halo.

343 needs to take their time, lay low for a while and just keep Halo Infinite content coming until Halo Tatanka, they need to fix their content and tech pipeline. They need to really figure out a multi-game approach and have a set vision in mind that spans multiple titles, they need to truly know what their next Halo title will be and not change it a dozen times during development.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 16 June 2023

Whether or not Halo needs rebooted, and to what degree, I think an uncontroversial option is that the series needs a break. I think 343 should just focus on supporting Infinite for a few years while building out a new dev roster and coming up with plans and ideas.

The break that God of War got before its 2018 reboot ended up being great for the series. I am not saying halo needs as aggressive if a reboot, but a similar amount of time to just let the franchise breath for a bit is in order, I think

Angelus said:
Machiavellian said:

Nah...

if Chief dies...WHEN Chief dies...he's gotta go out at the end of a full game, like a boss. Not at the start of a game, like you bait and switching players, and failing epically at that in a death that leads to everyone getting killed off. Like, you think you've seen Halo fans pissed off? Lmao, you would get some truly spectacular levels of shitstorm if you pulled that kinda stunt.

Personally I do not care how he dies, I even do not care if he dies but what I do believe is that for any creative team to be successful, they must be able to carve out their own story.  Doing the same thing that no longer captures an audience is a sure way to fail. 

As for the fans, well fans are always pissed off.  That is all I ever see is some fan throwing shade bascially at everything that does not conform to their vision for a game.  Hell if it makes everyone happy just spin it off to something else in the universe call it something different and move on if that helps with fan outrage.  At the end of the day, I find that a creative team needs to make a product they believe in and have the expertise to accomplish then worrying about fans bitching all the time.  The first step is to make a damn good product.  

Ryuu96 said:

Halo isn't being rebooted and nothing in that quote indicates it will be so it's fine.

The last thing that 343 should do is soft-reboot Halo AGAIN.

I mean, Halo 4 was already a large change in the gameplay department, Halo 5 completely ditched the story setup of Halo 4 and Halo Infinite was essentially a soft-reboot in both story and gameplay. How many times do we have to go through it? How many times do we have to go through them abandoning the stories they set up?

Halo Infinite's gunplay is perfect, the story was great and widely praised, they need to lay out a story which can be told over multiple titles and tell that story, not change their mind on their direction on every single Halo. They need to carry on Infinite's story, a soft reboot in story would be incredibly frustrating and a hard reboot would make me lose interest in Halo.

343 needs to take their time, lay low for a while and just keep Halo Infinite content coming until Halo Tatanka, they need to fix their content and tech pipeline. They need to really figure out a multi-game approach and have a set vision in mind that spans multiple titles, they need to truly know what their next Halo title will be and not change it a dozen times during development.

Oh I think we all know Halo isn't being rebooted nor was this tweet along those lines, as my cheeky post was more of what I want then something that would actually occur.

Still, the current formula is barely keeping the old heads and its not bringing any one new.  That is why most creative heads leave a franchise because its way to restricting.  It gets to the point where you touch anything and the old heads bitch and complain about everything.  You are trapped into "Well this isn't Halo" mentality and trying to take the IP to a new direction is a chore.

My take is go to another part of the universe and let the team make something new and unique to their skills but the risk would always be to great but this is the reason why IP decline.  Old head fatigue with the series and new heads no longer caring.