By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Ryuu96 said:
gtotheunit91 said:

Thank God they addressed the 30fps stuff.

Not that fanboys will listen.

One thing they are mentioning and that is quite showing what Spade is saying about reviews and other stuff super biased when it comes to Xbox. Final Fantasy 16 (who by the looks amazing and the demo was super fun). Is at 30FPS too. The performance mode is bad; I switched back to 30FPS during the demo.

It does not make the game bad but you can see the cherry picking from the medias and gamers when it is the end of the world for Starfield but nobody even talk about it for a big game like Final Fantasy 16…

Around the Network
EpicRandy said:

New question for anyone:

Do you think, that if the foreseen Starfield success materializes come September Zenimax Online may be tasked with something like Starfield Online? I, for one, certainly think so.

I don't think so, Zenimax Online Studios is already Bethesda's biggest studio and Xbox's 2nd biggest studio overall, Lol. That's just with The Elder Scrolls Online and their new IP (which is also an MMO). Juggling 3 MMOs would be a nightmare, especially one with the scope of Starfield, Lol.

Imaginedvl said:
Ryuu96 said:

Thank God they addressed the 30fps stuff.

Not that fanboys will listen.

One thing they are mentioning and that is quite showing what Spade is saying about reviews and other stuff super biased when it comes to Xbox. Final Fantasy 16 (who by the looks amazing and the demo was super fun). Is at 30FPS too. The performance mode is bad; I switched back to 30FPS during the demo.

It does not make the game bad but you can see the cherry picking from the medias and gamers when it is the end of the world for Starfield but nobody even talk about it for a big game like Final Fantasy 16…

Interesting that you bring u FF16 demo.  While I was playing it I do say I like the action nature of it and it is a lot of fun probably the most fun I have had in a FF game.  Graphics wise, especially in game it did not wow me.  The lighting looks flat.  The character models are very high detailed but the environments are pretty static and because of this I expected the lighting to be way better.  You are right, no one is complaining about the FPS but then again always remember that MS needs to over perform because basically they took a year off, its the nature of the beast.

DF calling out the NMS comparisons 🥳

DF was largely positive overall on Starfield.

Really their only criticism was the facial animations.

Around the Network
Machiavellian said:
Imaginedvl said:

Interesting that you bring u FF16 demo.  While I was playing it I do say I like the action nature of it and it is a lot of fun probably the most fun I have had in a FF game.  Graphics wise, especially in game it did not wow me.  The lighting looks flat.  The character models are very high detailed but the environments are pretty static and because of this I expected the lighting to be way better.  You are right, no one is complaining about the FPS but then again always remember that MS needs to over perform because basically they took a year off, its the nature of the beast.

Yah :) I'm actually super hyped to play it next week. Don't want to spoil others but the story started on a very good note :D 
For the combat, well, I am a huge fan of turn-based or if not turn-based I prefer aimed-based combat than timing ones, but it def. looks super sharp.

And yah, Microsoft needs to prove themselves more than Sony, def. I think Starfield is def. going to deliver for that part!

gtotheunit91 said:

A breakdown of the analysis for those without the time to watch a 45 minute video:

• DF believes the 30 fps on Xbox Series is necessary, mentions that Bethesda games save the real-time position of all interactable objects (which is alot of items in their games) which is very taxing on hardware, lists the sandwich table as an example, each of those sandwiches was brought from a different area in the game and is being stored in-sight on the player ship in the direct, and the game is tracking each of those sandwiches the entire time as well as countless other objects that can be picked up and moved, now across a thousand planet game. Also mentions how taxing NPC AI will be in a game like Starfield where each NPC has a daily schedule of things they do and places they will be throughout the day, sometimes doing different things on different days of the week, and all without loading screens to enter buildings like previous Bethesda games. DF mentions how CPU intensive the large cities in the very similar game Star Citizen are, highlights how Star Citizen can bring Series X equivalent PC CPU's to their knees even at 1080p resolution, with drops below 30 fps in those dense cities. They also mention how the performance modes on 2 recent games, Star Wars Jedi Survivor and FF16's demo, are insufficient, and suggests that Bethesda may have decided against offering an unlocked framerate performance mode that runs anywhere from 30-60 fps depending on game location, to avoid a similar situation.
  • All footage in the direct was 30 fps leading DF to believe it was captured on Series X, not PC
  • Pixel counting of one scene in the game which had artifacts that allowed a pixel count showed an internal resolution of 1296p, which is then being temporally upscaled to 4K. This is equivalent to AMD's FSR 2 balanced mode in terms of upscaling. DF was impressed by how crisp the upscaling looked.
  • Real-time global illumination. A custom model made by Bethesda, it's not ray traced GI, but it looks very good and DF is impressed by the lighting quality. Said that designing a real time GI system would have been a necessity for Bethesda as it would have been impossible to design baked in lighting for a thousand different planets and various building and space ship interiors.
  • No ray traced reflections or screen space reflections. The game seems to be using a real-time cube map reflection model, which is less hardware intensive than either RT Reflections or SSR.
  • Per object, per pixel motion blur has been added into a Bethesda game for the first time. Per object, per pixel motion blur is why the game looks quite smooth in the direct even though it is only 30 fps. idSoftware worked with Bethesda Game Studios to add their own motion blur solution from idTech into Creation Engine 2.
  • Screen space shadows have been added, a first for a Bethesda Game Studios game, which used shadow maps in the past.
  • Material quality is a big leap over past Bethesda Game Studios' games. 
  • High quality terrain model. Micro detail on terrain seems to be handled via hardware tessellation. This is rare feature in games, the few games that DF could think of with similarly high quality terrain are Frostbite Engine games like Anthem and Battlefront 1. Say that for the first time ever in a Bethesda game, you can look at the ground, the sections of ground between patches of grass and such, and be impressed by the ground itself, something that developers usually try to hide as much as possible with ground clutter like grass patches and bushes. 
  • Volumetric lighting on display, light filters through things like clouds and dust storms realistically in the direct.
  • Volumetric fog on display, lots of low lying fog on certain planets. Volumetric fog on this level is quite rare, DF thought of 2 other examples that have it, Red Dead Redemption 2 and Horizon Forbidden West. DF says it was a smart addition as it hides alot of not so nice to look at things you would typically see in the mid distance and especially far off distance in open world games, such as low quality assets and repeating ground texture tiles. 
  • High quality Bokeh depth of field present, DF says it really amps up the cinematic quality of the game and makes conversations with characters look better.
  • Character models are overall the thing with the smallest improvement over past Bethesda Game Studios games. The procedural facial animations while characters are talking don't look very good, compares it to the rather poor looking procedural facial animation system used in Horizon: Zero Dawn. Facial detail is lacking, skin doesn't look very accurate due to things like missing subsurface scattering, leading to a sort of plasticy, doll-like look. Mentions how the similar Star Citizen uses a universal facial animation rig, which allows the developers to capture rudimentary mo-cap facial animations by simply aiming a webcam at the voice actors as they read their lines, they can then use that video footage of the voice actor reading their lines to animate the actor's facial expressions onto the universal facial animation rig and provide far more realistic looking facial animations when that character is talking, than the procedural facial animation system that Bethesda is using here.
  • 3rd person mode looks good in a Bethesda game for the first time, unlike Skyrim and Fallout 4, where 3rd person never looked right. 3rd person player character animations have been improved alot. 
  • Nice UI, clean and simple. They like the UI system for interactable objects that draws a line to a little white bubble that says what the item is or who the person is. Big UI improvement over Skyrim and Fallout 4.

I don't know which I find more irritating, Starfield being 30fps only (even if it is somewhat understandable) or people calling out those who are disappointed. I mean this better not become a norm again. After all the hype about Velocity Architecture and power and how it's going to revolutionze game design they're taking a step back and making gaming less enjoyable? 

I started Mafia II DE yesterday to try and get used to 30fps again but fucking hell it's bad :/ 

Anyway, I just ordered a 65" LG C2 OLED evo -television to make things even a bit smoother. That's how hyped and committed I am to play Starfield but as Phil is my witness I won't stop crying and moaning  you hear me?!

.. also got a nice bargain and wanted 120fps on Halo Infinite but still.

shikamaru317 said:
gtotheunit91 said:

A breakdown of the analysis for those without the time to watch a 45 minute video:

• Per object, per pixel motion blur has been added into a Bethesda game for the first time. Per object, per pixel motion blur is why the game looks quite smooth in the direct even though it is only 30 fps. idSoftware worked with Bethesda Game Studios to add their own motion blur solution from idTech into Creation Engine 2.

This should help with the gunplay right? Make it better even if 30fps?

Ryuu96 said:
shikamaru317 said:

This should help with the gunplay right? Make it better even if 30fps?

I certainly hope that's the case. While the game overall is slower in pace, as we would expect from a Bethesda game, the gunplay looks like an id Software game in many ways lol.