By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - FINAL FANTASY XVI Story Trailer

I don't really like the setting, honestly. Too convoluted. I don't see a clear objective...

Around the Network

Hey, at least it doesn't look like a Bro Road Trip flick

The Fury said:
Farsala said:

The difference for me is that it is still different enough to try and be a fresh take on the JRPG genre. Take a Souls game. Always been an action rpg with tough bosses with the same gameplay. Take Disgaea, always been tactical rpg with the same gameplay. Take WoW, always MMORPG with the same gameplay. Take Dragon Quest, always turn based JRPG with same gameplay.

FF is always a JRPG, but the gameplay/ systems are often wildly different. Do the same thing in FFVI as FFVII as FFVIII and something will be messed up. Same as FFX, FFXII, and FFXIII. Or even FFXI and FFXIV.

FFXVI is only their 2nd attempt in the FF series with a more action oriented pace. So I consider it a fresh take on the genre, as compared to a Souls game or Disgaea game that does the same thing every time (even if I do like it).

Systems are different agreed but not the battle system itself, to me, losing the base gameplay means it's not really FF for me other than in name. Just like a Souls game wouldn't be that for many people if it became a turn based RPG. The new stories, magic system, weapon system etc, is what changes each time. A new spin on their standards but it still had the same combat.

The last few games have tried to remove that combat and strangely enough my appeal has also gone down. Not saying they aren't great games or I don't like Action RPGs but I'm just not looking for an action RPG in FF. Of course, 6 years between each iteration also isn't the best.

I do have to admit that I don't like the new FFs compared to the old as well. But I still appreciate the attempt nonetheless. As a fan of companies trying out new ip, I also have to give credit to the big franchises attempts.

Not a fan of the medieval setting, but I'm definitely excited about this one. Can't say much about gameplay yet, aside from it looking like some pretty generic and mediocre action RPG stuff, but that's not what I play Final Fantasy for (although Final Fantasy X was the pinnacle for the series, as far as I can tell based on my experience). What's special here is the strong fantasy vibe I'm getting, and despite my dislike for the medieval settings, the trailers hint at the world and lore being carefully crafted as well. Maybe it's just great trailers in this regard and the game's actually going to be trash, but my impression right now is that this is a game to be hyped for - and I rarely get hyped for games anymore.

Otter said:

Easily my most anticipated game of next year. Something about is just screaming quality! Its been a while since FF games have had a sense of urgency and this looks like its going to have a really compact, well written, gripping story. I didn't love the setting until we started to get a sense of how it plays into the plot, and it feels like this is going to be a massive medevil war fantasy. Game of Thrones on Japanese steroids. Here for it

I’m no fan of Game of Thrones, irregardless if you want “Game of thrones on Japanese steroids” try Berserk. Berserk to me is the best dark fantasy, at least as far as mainstream.

Around the Network
abroZ said:

I don't know, probably alone on this one but I really like turn based combat, especially in FF games. The game looks good but the fast paced action oriented Gameplay seems off. Such a shame the series went in this western oriented direction.

You're definitely not alone. Just looks like a generic action game to me. Not at all what I'd want from a Final Fantasy game.

The Fury said:
Farsala said:

The difference for me is that it is still different enough to try and be a fresh take on the JRPG genre. Take a Souls game. Always been an action rpg with tough bosses with the same gameplay. Take Disgaea, always been tactical rpg with the same gameplay. Take WoW, always MMORPG with the same gameplay. Take Dragon Quest, always turn based JRPG with same gameplay.

FF is always a JRPG, but the gameplay/ systems are often wildly different. Do the same thing in FFVI as FFVII as FFVIII and something will be messed up. Same as FFX, FFXII, and FFXIII. Or even FFXI and FFXIV.

FFXVI is only their 2nd attempt in the FF series with a more action oriented pace. So I consider it a fresh take on the genre, as compared to a Souls game or Disgaea game that does the same thing every time (even if I do like it).

Systems are different agreed but not the battle system itself, to me, losing the base gameplay means it's not really FF for me other than in name. Just like a Souls game wouldn't be that for many people if it became a turn based RPG. The new stories, magic system, weapon system etc, is what changes each time. A new spin on their standards but it still had the same combat.

The last few games have tried to remove that combat and strangely enough my appeal has also gone down. Not saying they aren't great games or I don't like Action RPGs but I'm just not looking for an action RPG in FF. Of course, 6 years between each iteration also isn't the best.

This is a big factor! IIRC we had 1 FF game per year from 8-10 (at least in Europe). If we were still getting 1 a year, or every other year at least, then I wouldn't mind one that I'm not interested in as much. Just wait a year and hope the next one's better. But when it's only 1 per generation it's a lot more annoying!

my most anticipated! graphics could be better but looks perfect overall!

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Looks like the lore and characters have been carefully designed, makes me so happy after the XV catastrophe ?

super_etecoon said:

Hey, at least it doesn't look like a Bro Road Trip flick

The bro road trip aspect is easily the best part of ff15. It's also easily one of the best relations dynamics in FF as a whole, maybe even the best.