By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - FIFA World Cup - Qatar 2022

Lots of plot twists at the end there, thought for sure Mexico would make it. Messi and Lautaro missed big chances for them lol.

Argentina was great today, completely outclassed Poland which to be fair do not look like a good team. The second goal was lovely. And now we get Australia instead of France (thank god), and if we get through them, either the USA or a bang-average Holland. Looks an easy path to the semis, hopefully it is.

Around the Network

Looks like a fairly straight forward path to the semis for Argentina now. Australia, Netherlands and USA aren't much better than Poland/Mexico (Australia are probably worse actually), so if Argentina can beat those two they should be able to beat any of the next 3 too.

I want the smaller teams to win and upsets. I am hoping for exciting knockout rounds. Still sad for iran and praying for Japan. I hope they get it.

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

mZuzek said:

Lots of plot twists at the end there, thought for sure Mexico would make it. Messi and Lautaro missed big chances for them lol.

Argentina was great today, completely outclassed Poland which to be fair do not look like a good team. The second goal was lovely. And now we get Australia instead of France (thank god), and if we get through them, either the USA or a bang-average Holland. Looks an easy path to the semis, hopefully it is.

Semi final should be good with Argentina-Brazil.

S.Peelman said:
mZuzek said:

Very presumptuous.

Also think Ka_Pi is underestimating Netherlands

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:
mZuzek said:

Brazil has it tough making it there though, they'd probably have to beat Spain on the way, who in my opinion has been the best team in the world cup. Even their round of 16 isn't too easy, whoever it is, but we expect them to win easily because they're Brazil. We'll see.

Also who knows, Argentina might lose to Australia, I don't want to get too far ahead of myself.

Suarez put out a really endearing comment ahead of Uruguay’s match with Ghana - that he doesn’t apologise for cheating during the match between the sides in 2010. Really hope Uruguay suffer the same misfortune in the match tomorrow, or even better Suarez scores an own-goal hat-trick, where they all go in off his arm.

SecondWar said:

Suarez put out a really endearing comment ahead of Uruguay's match with Ghana - that he doesn't apologise for cheating during the match between the sides in 2010. Really hope Uruguay suffer the same misfortune in the match tomorrow, or even better Suarez scores an own-goal hat-trick, where they all go in off his arm.

I never understood this controversy. He did what he could to give his country a chance, a very slim chance at that, he was punished with a red card and penalty as he should, and the penalty was missed. If anything it's Asamoah Gyan who should have to apologize for blasting it onto the bar.

Also, I was rooting for Ghana that day.

Either way it should be an exciting match tomorrow. I don't mind either team going through, Ghana has played much better football for sure, but I feel like Uruguay has a better chance of putting up a match against Brazil.

mZuzek said:
SecondWar said:

Suarez put out a really endearing comment ahead of Uruguay's match with Ghana - that he doesn't apologise for cheating during the match between the sides in 2010. Really hope Uruguay suffer the same misfortune in the match tomorrow, or even better Suarez scores an own-goal hat-trick, where they all go in off his arm.

I never understood this controversy. He did what he could to give his country a chance, a very slim chance at that, he was punished with a red card and penalty as he should, and the penalty was missed. If anything it's Asamoah Gyan who should have to apologize for blasting it onto the bar.

Either way it should be an exciting match tomorrow. I don't mind either team going through, Ghana has played much better football for sure, but I feel like Uruguay has a better chance of putting up a match against Brazil.

That’s silly. Gyan didn’t cheat. Suarez did, and did so knowing his team stood to benefit.
Situations like this are why I think the rules should be updated to introduce penalty goals, remive the potential reward of cheating in such instances.

SecondWar said:
mZuzek said:

That’s silly. Gyan didn’t cheat. Suarez did, and did so knowing his team stood to benefit. Situations like this are why I think the rules should be updated to introduce penalty goals, remive the potential reward of cheating in such instances.

I wouldn't even call that cheating. Cheating is breaking the rules to your team's benefit, meaning your doing something the rules have no answer for - such as diving to try to win free kicks or penalties. There are rules for a player handballing to avoid a goal, thus it's not cheating. No rules were broken.

Also, hard disagree on the "penalty goals" thing. A goal is when a ball crosses the line. It doesn't matter if it was going in or not, it didn't go in, it's not a goal. The day they start giving goals without the ball going in is the day football dies.