By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 34, 2022 (Aug 15 - Aug 21)

Shatts said:
Ashadelo said:

With the exception of MH none of those franchises are that popular in Japan. Maybe they were 10+ years ago but they are not now.. Whats popular now?

1. Momotaro Dentetsu

2. Dragon Quest

3. Minecraft

4. Monster Hunter

Those 4 all did two million plus retail, the games you listed above for the most part didn't even hit a million, they are not that popular in Japan.

Nah they're still popular excluding maybe DMC and MGS. Ur right it may not be "as" popular compared to 10+ years ago but they're still million seller franchises. Famitsu only records physicals remember

Resident Evil Village didn't even come close to 1mil. It had a 30% digital share. The other RE games shouldn't be to different in their digital share. The last RE game to top 1mil in Japan was RE6.

Street Fighter V literally sold 46k in it's opening week. It probably didn't even reach 200k in Japan. Digital wasn't that big yet in 2016 even on PS4.

Of these mentioned games only FF VII Remake, FF XV, KH III and MHW sold over 1mil in Japan and only MHW sold more than 2mil (3.3mil in the end).

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:

That's another 30/30 week for Switch. How many times is that this year? 6? I've lost count.

Software sales are weak for a system of its userbase and is weak outside of first-party. That and the hardware is declining.

Kakadu18 said:
Shatts said:

Nah they're still popular excluding maybe DMC and MGS. Ur right it may not be "as" popular compared to 10+ years ago but they're still million seller franchises. Famitsu only records physicals remember

Resident Evil Village didn't even come close to 1mil. It had a 30% digital share. The other RE games shouldn't be to different in their digital share. The last RE game to top 1mil in Japan was RE6.

Street Fighter V literally sold 46k in it's opening week. It probably didn't even reach 200k in Japan. Digital wasn't that big yet in 2016 even on PS4.

Of these mentioned games only FF VII Remake, FF XV, KH III and MHW sold over 1mil in Japan and only MHW sold more than 2mil (3.3mil in the end).

True, now that I think about it more, but I was also accounting for pc sales. It's hard to imagine an IP that used to be huge in Japan, only accounts for half a million out of the 5million+ copies sold worldwide. I still think it sold close to a million in Japan counting every platform

crankberryjoos said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

That's another 30/30 week for Switch. How many times is that this year? 6? I've lost count.

Software sales are weak for a system of its userbase and is weak outside of first-party. That and the hardware is declining.

Owning the entire top 30 is "weak"?

As for third parties, Momotaro, Minecraft, Monster Hunter, Taiko, Dragon Quest, etc all say hi, and every third party game in the top 30 is a Switch title.

The CESA Games White Paper released and Taiko no Tatsujin shipped 1mil up until the end of 2021 in Japan alone. The first million seller from that franchise in Japan.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
curl-6 said:

Right, that's the situation for the PS5.

Fixed it for you, curl.

Since we are comparing to the PS5, might as well throw in the XBOX Series consoles.

crankberryjoos said:
RolStoppable said:

Fixed it for you, curl.

Since we are comparing to the PS5, might as well throw in the XBOX Series consoles.

Now that you mention your right, the Xbox Series has been doing great, 2x the increase from last week!

Edit: the xbox series was the only console to see grow this past week

Last edited by Ashadelo - on 29 August 2022

我是广州人

eddy7eddy said:
Kakadu18 said:

It's way higher than 200k. I already said that before, it's digital ratio because of vouchers has to be at over 60%. XCDE had a digital ratio of over 50% while being 2k yen cheaper. Astral Chain, which went for the same price had a digital ratio of over 60%, maybe even 65% depending on physical sellthrough. Even XC2 had 40% digital before vouchers. All based off of Nintendo's shipment numbers. On top of that the Special Edition is not counted here, which in XCDE's case had likely a quite large share of the sales if Comg is anything to go by there.

I believe too that XC3 is over 200K, but XC2 sold 19,684 Digital copies on that month, that's a %13.18 not 40%.

Yeah, Special Edition Took a large part of the sales too.

Some graphs from Hiska-kun on Installbase based on Media Create numbers and Nintendo shipments. Clearly Xenoblade Chronicles 2 had a digital share of over 30% by the end of 2017, after 4 weeks. It's sell through according to Famitsu was at 80-100%.

That article you linked btw says "debut digital sales for Xenoblade Chronicles 2". So either thdy mean those digital sales are only from it's first week, or Famitsu was just dead wrong. Those numbers were just based on estimates anyways and Famitsu's digital estimates have never been good to begin with. Hence why they don't do them anymore.

So basically XC2's digital share might actually have been close to 40% at the end of the fiscal year. But I don't know for sure.