By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - This joke from Day of the Tentacle has a real world background

Some of you may remember a gag in Day of Tentacle, in which you put a deep frozen hamster into a microwave:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr6tMinjE2M&ab_channel=ZarlaSheenaza

I never deeply thought about it. But as I learned today this has a real world example, as scientists did just that, they were warming up (and thus reviving) frozen hamsters in microwaves. Look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tdiKTSdE9Y&ab_channel=TomScott

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Bandorr said:

And I think that joke comes from Maniac Mansion. Which day of the tentacle is pretty much a spiritual successor too.

Maniac mansion was such a good game.

I haven't yet played Maniac Mansion. Although Maniac Mansion is completely playable inside Day of the Tentacle itself.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
Bandorr said:

And I think that joke comes from Maniac Mansion. Which day of the tentacle is pretty much a spiritual successor too.

Maniac mansion was such a good game.

I haven't yet played Maniac Mansion. Although Maniac Mansion is completely playable inside Day of the Tentacle itself.

Maniac Mansion puzzles are a bit easier than DOTT.  MM was one of my favorite games on the nes, I was a bit disappointed when I played MM through DOTT because on the nes version all the kids had a background song that played whenever you played as them, but through DOTT there is no music playing on MM when you play through the game.  The music was great on the nes so I did miss it, but at least the graphics were quite a bit better.

Bandorr said:
Mnementh said:

True, it is quite an interesting game.  You pick three kids. They each have different abilities.

Which in turn determines how you beat the game.  It has so many endings because of how many different combinations there are.

It is easily the king of click-based games. Or.. in the top of the top.

Ron Gilbert, on twitter a few days ago:

Mnementh said:

I never deeply thought about it. But as I learned today this has a real world example, as scientists did just that, they were warming up (and thus reviving) frozen hamsters in microwaves. Look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tdiKTSdE9Y&ab_channel=TomScott

Funny enough, I've actually seen this video before.  Interesting stuff.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)