By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - June NPD 2022 Thread

Mat Piscatella
@MatPiscatella
US NPD HW - PlayStation 5 generated the highest dollar sales amongst video game hardware platforms in both June and the first half of calendar 2022, while Switch led both time periods in unit sales.

PS5 also experienced double digit percentage growth compared to a year ago.

Summary
- Total HW down 8%,
- Total Accessories down 15%
- Total Software down 11%
- PS5 number #1 for June and H1 in terms of revenue, Switch number #1 for units
- June Revenue: PS5, Switch, XBS
- June Unit: Switch, PS5, XBS
- YTD Revenue: PS5, XBS, Switch
- YTD Units: Switch, XBS, PS5
- PS5 up 10% in June YoY
- ER #1 Game for June and YTD
- FF7R back to 9th after being 159th in May
- Mobile down 10.7% YOY (App Store still okay 0.16% growth YoY, Google Play less so)
- DualSense #1 units
- Elite #1 revenue YTD

Last edited by Blood_Tears - on 15 July 2022

Around the Network

VGC undertracked the PS5 for June.

Overall, it seems like stock for the PS5 has increased significantly from the start of the year, at least in China and the UK.

PS5 stock availability in June was a lot so it should have been easy to predict PS5 coming in number 1 or number 2.

Xbox is heavily over tracked imo.

Formerly ilovegirls69  :(

Man the weekly estimates with beaming title about "S/X outsells PS5" , "S/X neck n neck with PS5" gets published out there for everyone to see. But all the adjustments behind the scenes afterwards for the affected consoles never get the same spotlight for people to recognize. Specially the PS5 with the back to back up adjustments lately.

Pionner said:

PS5 stock availability in June was a lot so it should have been easy to predict PS5 coming in number 1 or number 2.

Xbox is heavily over tracked imo.

Yeah I imagine some sort of change is needed with the site's ratio/extrapolation sales for US weekly's going forward. With Sony ramping up production lines and estimating 18 million for this FY, numbers should be on the rise from here on out. This quarter that just ended had heavy shortages for 2/3 of it so the remaining ones are going to get stacked, especially holiday with GoW.

This past month had NA sales weeks of Xbox up by 20 and 30k+ over PS5 so obviously the sales ratio tracking is going to need some adjusting going forward. The cheaper Series S model is not going to be enough for the remainder of this year, especially with no major Xbox 1st party game until next year and most AAA holiday releases in 2022 have Sony marketing with likely no major day 1 game pass titles for them. So the next 3 quarters of sales are going to be very interesting, especially in the US as it relates to PS5/ Series XS.

Around the Network
ChiVVITZ said:

Man the weekly estimates with beaming title about "S/X outsells PS5" , "S/X neck n neck with PS5" gets published out there for everyone to see. But all the adjustments behind the scenes afterwards for the affected consoles never get the same spotlight for people to recognize. Specially the PS5 with the back to back up adjustments lately.

I'm one of the ones that had a thread with a title of the PS5 and Xbox Series X neck and neck.  

Within seconds of the adjustments made to the Xbox numbers I immediately brought attention to it and updated my thread title.

Dishonest bullshit.

My thread

Last edited by DroidKnight - on 15 July 2022

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

I really didn't expect XBox to place third in both revenue and units this month. However, I don't think XBox sales did poorly in June so much as PS5 and Switch both did better than they have been in previous months.

trunkswd said:
DroidKnight said:

I'm one of the ones that had a thread with a title of the PS5 and Xbox Series X neck and neck.  

Within seconds of the adjustments made to the Xbox numbers I immediately brought attention to it and updated my thread title.

Dishonest bullshit.

My thread

I've updated the weekly hardware thread and am updating the weekly hardware breakdown to mention the adjustments. 

I've always seen where you mentioned the Xbox numbers being adjusted down.  I've never seen where you or anyone else have tried to hide it.  But that other dude claiming it's all done in secret is full of it.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

trunkswd said:

I'll be adjusting our US estimates for June as right now we have Xbox Series X|S a little bit ahead of the PS5. We are talking maybe a 10% increase to PS5 sales and a decrease to XS sales by 10% or less for the US in June. And a small decrease to Switch as well. 

If PS5 went up 10k to 297k and XS went down 58k to 288k... that isnt 10% either way. That's about 3-3.5% increase for PS5 and 16-17% decrease for XS.

DroidKnight said:
ChiVVITZ said:

Dishonest bullshit.

My thread

Im not talking about ur thread that never gets published outside of this site, I meant the weekly one like this gets published on big gaming news site - https://www.vgchartz.com/article/454165/switch-tops-109m-units-xs-outsells-ps5-worldwide-hardware-estimates-for-june-12-18/