By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry: Zombie Army 4 on Switch, "A Next Level Impossible Port"

The game manages to hit the same 1080/30fps target as PS4 when docked as well as 720p/30fps in portable mode with only rare drops to either spec, while handling the same 80-100 zombies on screen at a time.

Around the Network

Shows how much optimsation matters.
with beefy hardware, som devs get lazy about optimsation.

hats off for them putting in real effort on the switch port.

JRPGfan said:

Shows how much optimsation matters.
with beefy hardware, som devs get lazy about optimsation.

hats off for them putting in real effort on the switch port.

Yeah it really goes to show just how much mileage you can get out of tinkering with a game's code at a low level and really getting into granular optimizations instead of just cutting a game down until it runs.

For those technically inclined, the same studio gave a great interview last year about how they ported Sniper Elite 4 to the Switch so well, and it's worth a watch if you're interested in this sort of thing.

Our "Sniper Elite 4" Journey: Lessons in Porting AAA Action Games to the Nintendo Switch | NVIDIA On-Demand

I'd honestly say Rebellion North are among the very best in the business when it comes to porting games to Switch from stronger hardware.

Beyond being a masterclass in porting, Zombie Army 4 on Switch is also just a really fun game and I'd recommend it to anyone looking for some satisfying, meaty action.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 05 July 2022

Hats off to the folks giving us another quality port!

This is why I'm not of the belief that we need a mid-gen upgrade to get the most out of games. I'd prefer that the ones releasing the games allow developers to really get the most mileage out of the hardware that we already have.

burninmylight said:

Hats off to the folks giving us another quality port!

This is why I'm not of the belief that we need a mid-gen upgrade to get the most out of games. I'd prefer that the ones releasing the games allow developers to really get the most mileage out of the hardware that we already have.

Yeah I feel the same way, games like this, Bright Memory Infinite, Dying Light, etc show the hardware's still capable in the hands of skilled developers.

Around the Network
SegaHeart said:

@curl-6 Who did the port?

Rebellion North, same satellite studo who handled the ports of Sniper Elite 2/3/4, Zombie Army Trilogy, and Strange Brigade.

For my money, they're one of the best Switch porting studios in the business.

SegaHeart said:
curl-6 said:

Rebellion North, same satellite studo who handled the ports of Sniper Elite 2/3/4, Zombie Army Trilogy, and Strange Brigade.

For my money, they're one of the best Switch porting studios in the business.

Thanks, Rebillion North should do few for japan like capcoms Resident evil 7 and 8?

As much as I'd love to see that, highly unlikely; so far they have only handled ports of Rebellion's own games.

We will most likely have to wait for Switch's successor to play RE7 and 8 on a Nintendo platform.

If you're after a zombie fix on Switch though, I do highly recommend Zombie Army 4, it's a really fun game as well as being a great port.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 24 August 2022

This game looks fun! Gyro-aiming?

KLAMarine said:

Gyro aiming is supported and works really well. :)

Last edited by curl-6 - on 25 August 2022

curl-6 said:
KLAMarine said:

Gyro aiming is supported and works really well. :)

Awesome and I think I saw a PPSh being used. I'm so in then!