By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Final Fantasy XVl: Summon battles, Party members, not open world, another trailer coming.

Leynos said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Not hyped for this

Looks like Final Fantasy XV gameplay without the very nice background, worldbulding and modern-world setting. Worse, without the open world so nothing to explore. 

Instead I only see a generic western RPG world

It's like taking the worst thing about FF XV (battles), stripping it of any sort of identity and inserting a linear storyline. 

At least VII:2 is coming I guess 

Um no. XV's combat was ass yes but this is nothing like it. They literally hired the DMCV combat director for this. Far far and above XV's bullshit and FF has been doing the modern shit for far too long. FF was medeveal fantasy setting long before it was cars and modern settings with Limp Bizkit and Stand By me. Many fans including me have been begging Final Fantasy to return to a fantasy setting since post-FFIX. You had 25 fucking years of cars and cell phones in Final Fantasy. Time to a return to form.

European-based medieval setting is generic and boring. Final Fantasy is at its best when they insert anything else. 6, 7, 8, 10, 12, 13 and 15, all those have truly interesting worlds, because they were unique. There is nothing like the world's of Spira, Ivalice or Gran Pulse, Final Fantasy is incredible because they create immersion building worlds others devs are too afraid to create by themselves, instead resorting in reusing the same place again and again (insert any Dragon Quest here)

Whatever you are begging, it was not what lead Final Fantasy to its greatness. But whatever, I will just wait for them to release a truly immersive world again in the next 8 years or so 

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:

European-based medieval setting is generic and boring.

That is objectively untrue. 

IcaroRibeiro said:
Leynos said:

Um no. XV's combat was ass yes but this is nothing like it. They literally hired the DMCV combat director for this. Far far and above XV's bullshit and FF has been doing the modern shit for far too long. FF was medeveal fantasy setting long before it was cars and modern settings with Limp Bizkit and Stand By me. Many fans including me have been begging Final Fantasy to return to a fantasy setting since post-FFIX. You had 25 fucking years of cars and cell phones in Final Fantasy. Time to a return to form.

European-based medieval setting is generic and boring. Final Fantasy is at its best when they insert anything else. 6, 7, 8, 10, 12, 13 and 15, all those have truly interesting worlds, because they were unique. There is nothing like the world's of Spira, Ivalice or Gran Pulse, Final Fantasy is incredible because they create immersion building worlds others devs are too afraid to create by themselves, instead resorting in reusing the same place again and again (insert any Dragon Quest here)

Whatever you are begging, it was not what lead Final Fantasy to its greatness. But whatever, I will just wait for them to release a truly immersive world again in the next 8 years or so 

lol IX is the best game in the series so...

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

LOL, it's not even on top 5

Mar1217 said:

Euro medieval fantasy FF games were always SE better cup of tea personally. Not helpful that when they went to tackle Fantasy Sci-Fi settings they mostly stumbled there and were the most uninteresting game in the franchise.

None of the best selling FF games are from euro-medieval settings. Is FF VII euro medieval? X? VI? XII? Final Fantasy is remarkable exactly because they could merge scifi/modern settings into a more middle-age settings, me mindful middle-age doesn't need to be western European middle age, XII is specially interesting, because they choose a more middle-western setting instead of a clear european-centric one

Without that Final Fantasy is exactly like any other RPG, as far as worldbuilding is concerned

Around the Network
Jpcc86 said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

European-based medieval setting is generic and boring.

That is objectively untrue. 

Well, I guess "boring" is a personal word. But generic is right, most of RPG born from western european settings, it's the most overused setting for fantasy and RPG games. This can be softened when the world is european-based but has their own culture, species, geography, identity, and so on. But from what is being showed in this trailers, this game seems to be placed in a very standard western euro-mediavel game

IcaroRibeiro said:
Leynos said:

Seeing how you think 8,13 and XV is good. Your ranking means little.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Sounds good to me. Though open world games have their place I'm glad they're back with a focused game and a full experience from the get go. No planned DLC's is just chefs kiss - idk why this is even a thing in modern titles.

The party members having their own ai is fine.. I really dislike micromanaging team skills in most action game as it slows down the experience. Maybe on the fly combat orders will be there; like act aggressively or defensively and certain abilities like summons are user based.

Leynos said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Seeing how you think 8,13 and XV is good. Your ranking means little.

Guys please. We all know that FFII is the best of the bunch.

IcaroRibeiro said:
Leynos said:

You have next to no actual knowledge about the game so this comes off as whining and overreacting.