By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you see games as pieces of art? *potential spoilers*

Are games a type of art?

Yes 37 68.52%

No 11 20.37%

Undecided 5 9.26%

Just want to see the results 1 1.85%

Total:54

The title self explanatory... kinda

Personally my answer, of course it is a form of art. How can someone watch this:

And this:

And this:

And this:

And this:

And do not think game is art? Because I really can't

Kojima said he don't think games are art, for me this man can go fuck himself. Never liked his games anyway

Feel free to use the thread to share videos or pictures that prove games are art!

Around the Network

yes

/thread

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Depends on the game.

Games like Breath of the Wild or Starfield or God of War or Elden Ring, sure.

But then there are other games like Asscreed from Ubisoft who I see more as products to satisfy shareholders than actual Art.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:

Depends on the game.

Games like Breath of the Wild or Starfield or God of War or Elden Ring, sure.

But then there are other games like Asscreed from Ubisoft who I see more as products to satisfy shareholders than actual Art.

Same thing can be said of music, movies and anything else that can be considered as art.

Captain_Yuri said:

Doesn't it apply to anything that can be sold? 

Art doesn't need to posses quality to be art

Around the Network

Yes, I most certainly do.
Good evening.

First define art. Then have your answer.

I define art as skillfully expressing something that is challenging to express.

I've yet to be presented with a coherent definition of what art is, so I don't know. The thing that might sort of weigh against it is the need for functionality and being fun (generally) that isn't really applicable to other potential art forms.

For instance Mario Galaxy 2 which is my favorite game. Is it art? I dunno. The music is certainly art, the visuals are art, maybe the story is art. But the gameplay which is the core part of the experience? That's iffy. So I don't really know if you could call the whole product a work of art.

IcaroRibeiro said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Doesn't it apply to anything that can be sold? 

Art doesn't need to posses quality to be art

Depends on what you consider to be art but for me, there is a difference.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

The main point of contention really is if something that doesn't have any real deep meaning or anything like that and instead is made solely for fun/entertainment can be considered art. Video games like that probably make up a higher percentage of the medium compared to other ones like literature and film so when looking at the medium as a whole that's something to consider for those with relatively strict definitions of what constitutes art. For individual creations though it's of course really unreasonable to say that none of them are art. I haven't really put much thought into what is art so will just look at stuff individually.

Last edited by Norion - on 15 June 2022