By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 is outpacing PS4 by nearly 3x in China

What's this from?

Around the Network

Will be fascinating to see how the PS5 tracks in China over the course of this generation. Sony establishing a userbase of 5M - 10M players by the end of this generation would be huge.

twintail said:

Sony's inroads into China, especially through translation and localisations aid for JPN games, during the PS4 era are paying dividends now. Good work.

If only there wasnt chip shortages...

Also interesting is how much they sent to Saudi Arabia. Meanwhile poor Spain, getting 0 stock.

UK LTD also above Japan so like 1.5m.

twintail said:
RolStoppable said:

Isn't that graph a giant load of bullshit? "Week 72 sell-through after global launch" doesn't mean "sell-through in China through 72 weeks of availability."

https://www.theverge.com/2015/3/10/8181919/playstation-4-china-release-date-march-20th

https://www.psu.com/news/ps5-chinese-release-date-set-for-may-15-2021-price-confirmed/

The above official launch dates essentially mean that the graph compares roughly 2 months of PS4 sales vs. roughly 12 months of PS5 sales.

It's comparing 72 weeks of PS4 vs 72 weeks of PS5. What makes you think otherwise?

It's not 72 weeks after launch, but worded 72 weeks after *global* launch.

The PS4 launched 70 weeks after global launch in china, which equates in this infograph to two weeks on the chinese market. For the PS5 it launched 21 weeks after global launch in China, so that graph contains 51 weeks market availability. At least according to this article:

https://www.vgchartz.com/article/453760/ps5-sales-top-670000-units-in-china-6th-best-selling-market-for-ps5/

Two weeks vs. 51 weeks is kinda relevant.

EDIT: And this stats-manipulation is a level of sneakiness I didn't expect from the Jim Ryan :)

Last edited by Mnementh - on 26 May 2022

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

So this comparison doesn't tell us anything. We don't know wether the PS5 is actually outpacing the PS4 in China. We only know the PS4 sales shortly after launch and the PS5 sales a year after launch. No possible meaningful comparison.

Last edited by Kakadu18 - on 26 May 2022

twintail said:
Farsala said:

Also interesting is how much they sent to Saudi Arabia. Meanwhile poor Spain, getting 0 stock.

UK LTD also above Japan so like 1.5m.

SA is also a region they targetted in the PS4 days. Also working out for them now. But I don't know much about the region to properly comment on it.

I feel that JPN number is misleading though: pretty confident they're being diverted to other SEA countries. 

Japan numbers might be diverted a lot, but clearly official numbers are still strong in China and other countries.

On the same note, US numbers are also often high and diverted to SA countries, so it is kind of whatever.

So according to this graph there have been less than 670k PS5 sold in Canada, Australia, etc. I don't know if the individual figures by country are known but it's nice to have a idea of how many were sold at least.

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:

So according to this graph there have been less than 670k PS5 sold in Canada, Australia, etc. I don't know if the individual figures by country are known but it's nice to have a idea of how many were sold at least.

Yes and we have a good idea of Spanish numbers from the Spanish weekly numbers. ~380k at the same time as this chart.

So Canada, Australia and Italy are between ~380k and ~670k .

I wonder how much this compares to the Switch. We know Switch sold 1.3 millions in 2020 alone and was really close to 4 million units. Must be around 5-6 millions right now. Clearly the market seems to be growing so this is a good thing.