By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 is outpacing PS4 by nearly 3x in China

RolStoppable said:

Isn't that graph a giant load of bullshit? "Week 72 sell-through after global launch" doesn't mean "sell-through in China through 72 weeks of availability."

https://www.theverge.com/2015/3/10/8181919/playstation-4-china-release-date-march-20th

https://www.psu.com/news/ps5-chinese-release-date-set-for-may-15-2021-price-confirmed/

The above official launch dates essentially mean that the graph compares roughly 2 months of PS4 sales vs. roughly 12 months of PS5 sales.

It's comparing 72 weeks of PS4 vs 72 weeks of PS5. What makes you think otherwise?

Around the Network
twintail said:
RolStoppable said:

Isn't that graph a giant load of bullshit? "Week 72 sell-through after global launch" doesn't mean "sell-through in China through 72 weeks of availability."

https://www.theverge.com/2015/3/10/8181919/playstation-4-china-release-date-march-20th

https://www.psu.com/news/ps5-chinese-release-date-set-for-may-15-2021-price-confirmed/

The above official launch dates essentially mean that the graph compares roughly 2 months of PS4 sales vs. roughly 12 months of PS5 sales.

It's comparing 72 weeks of PS4 vs 72 weeks of PS5. What makes you think otherwise?

It's not 72 weeks after launch, but worded 72 weeks after *global* launch.

The PS4 launched 70 weeks after global launch in china, which equates in this infograph to two weeks on the chinese market. For the PS5 it launched 21 weeks after global launch in China, so that graph contains 51 weeks market availability. At least according to this article:

https://www.vgchartz.com/article/453760/ps5-sales-top-670000-units-in-china-6th-best-selling-market-for-ps5/

Two weeks vs. 51 weeks is kinda relevant.

EDIT: And this stats-manipulation is a level of sneakiness I didn't expect from the Jim Ryan :)

Last edited by Mnementh - on 26 May 2022

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

So this comparison doesn't tell us anything. We don't know wether the PS5 is actually outpacing the PS4 in China. We only know the PS4 sales shortly after launch and the PS5 sales a year after launch. No possible meaningful comparison.

Last edited by Kakadu18 - on 26 May 2022

Mnementh said:
twintail said:

fair point!

twintail said:
Farsala said:

Also interesting is how much they sent to Saudi Arabia. Meanwhile poor Spain, getting 0 stock.

UK LTD also above Japan so like 1.5m.

SA is also a region they targetted in the PS4 days. Also working out for them now. But I don't know much about the region to properly comment on it.

I feel that JPN number is misleading though: pretty confident they're being diverted to other SEA countries. 

Japan numbers might be diverted a lot, but clearly official numbers are still strong in China and other countries.

On the same note, US numbers are also often high and diverted to SA countries, so it is kind of whatever.

Around the Network

So according to this graph there have been less than 670k PS5 sold in Canada, Australia, etc. I don't know if the individual figures by country are known but it's nice to have a idea of how many were sold at least.

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:

So according to this graph there have been less than 670k PS5 sold in Canada, Australia, etc. I don't know if the individual figures by country are known but it's nice to have a idea of how many were sold at least.

Yes and we have a good idea of Spanish numbers from the Spanish weekly numbers. ~380k at the same time as this chart.

So Canada, Australia and Italy are between ~380k and ~670k .

I wonder how much this compares to the Switch. We know Switch sold 1.3 millions in 2020 alone and was really close to 4 million units. Must be around 5-6 millions right now. Clearly the market seems to be growing so this is a good thing.

twintail said:
RolStoppable said:

It couldn't even be 72 weeks of PS5 sales in China because the PS5 launched in China only one year ago, in May 2021.

I've seen you've already recognized that something's fishy, so the above sentence is merely for further clarity and others who are following this discussion.

Mnementh said:
twintail said:

The PS4 launched 70 weeks after global launch in china, which equates in this infograph to two weeks on the chinese market. For the PS5 it launched 21 weeks after global launch in China, so that graph contains 51 weeks market availability. At least according to this article:

https://www.vgchartz.com/article/453760/ps5-sales-top-670000-units-in-china-6th-best-selling-market-for-ps5/

Two weeks vs. 51 weeks is kinda relevant.

EDIT: And this stats-manipulation is a level of sneakiness I didn't expect from the Jim Ryan :)

Technically, "global launch" could refer to the boxes of the traditional three major market regions being ticked, so Japan, North America and Europe. The PS5 achieved all this in late 2020, but the PS4 had a staggered launch (North America and Europe in November 2013, Japan in February 2014). So it's possible that week 1 of PS4's global launch falls into February 2014 which then would give PS4 sales in China three months more.

It remains an unequal comparison between the PS4 and PS5, but it may not be as lopsided as previously stated by me or later by you.

xMetroid said:

I wonder how much this compares to the Switch. We know Switch sold 1.3 millions in 2020 alone and was really close to 4 million units. Must be around 5-6 millions right now. Clearly the market seems to be growing so this is a good thing.

If I remember correctly, 4 million for Switch in China was an estimate by Nico and included grey market sales, meaning imported consoles from other countries were included. So this figure is not a legit comparison to the PS4 and PS5 numbers in the original post, because those concern only sell-through of consoles that had been officially located to China by its manufacturer.

Last edited by RolStoppable - on 26 May 2022

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

RolStoppable said:

Technically, "global launch" could refer to the boxes of the traditional three major market regions being ticked, so Japan, North America and Europe. The PS5 achieved all this in late 2020, but the PS4 had a staggered launch (North America and Europe in November 2013, Japan in February 2014). So it's possible that week 1 of PS4's global launch falls into February 2014 which then would give PS4 sales in China three months more.

It remains an unequal comparison between the PS4 and PS5, but it may not be as lopsided as previously stated by me or later by you.

While the graph is worded ambiguously for what should be a straight forward comparison, the engagement for the PlayStation platform has significantly increased, and supports the unprecedented demand Sony has outlined. 

Average cumulative spend for an active PS4 is nearly $70 compared to the PS5 which is 3x that amount with $223. China has also moved from 11th to 6th in terms of active console rankings from the PS4 to the PS5. 

Last edited by PotentHerbs - on 26 May 2022