By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 is outpacing PS4 by nearly 3x in China

RolStoppable said:

Technically, "global launch" could refer to the boxes of the traditional three major market regions being ticked, so Japan, North America and Europe. The PS5 achieved all this in late 2020, but the PS4 had a staggered launch (North America and Europe in November 2013, Japan in February 2014). So it's possible that week 1 of PS4's global launch falls into February 2014 which then would give PS4 sales in China three months more.

It remains an unequal comparison between the PS4 and PS5, but it may not be as lopsided as previously stated by me or later by you.

While the graph is worded ambiguously for what should be a straight forward comparison, the engagement for the PlayStation platform has significantly increased, and supports the unprecedented demand Sony has outlined. 

Average cumulative spend for an active PS4 is nearly $70 compared to the PS5 which is 3x that amount with $223. China has also moved from 11th to 6th in terms of active console rankings from the PS4 to the PS5. 

Last edited by PotentHerbs - on 26 May 2022

Around the Network

I think the numbers are most BS, because Sony can choose where to put their shipments. So they sent it to China instead of European countries like Germany or Spain.

Just send a million consoles to China, I am sure it will get sold somehow, whether from Chinese or foreign buyers.

RolStoppable said:

Cumulative spending and PS+ subscriptions are also for the Chinese market specifically, which brings us back to the unequal comparison where the PS5 had many months more than the PS4 to attain its numbers. In other words, it's the same bullshit.

China moving up in the ranking is the same thing: The PS4 only had a few months of shipments at best whereas the PS5 had about a full year.

If the demand were really that unprecedented, then Sony would have made a like-for-like comparison instead of heavily skewing things in favor of the PS5. But the thing is that the PS5 has fallen behind the PS4 pretty much everywhere, so it isn't easy to come up with comparisons that favor the PS5.

It's not like its all advantages for the PS5. 

PS4 didn't have supply constraints to hold it back, it didn't have to deal with competition from the Switch, or being higher priced. I also wouldn't overlook Sony allocating a significant amount of stock to China during a massive chip crunch either. Based on the rankings, China is getting priority over Canada, Spain, and Italy, which are major markets for Sony. 

Farsala said:

I think the numbers are most BS, because Sony can choose where to put their shipments. So they sent it to China instead of European countries like Germany or Spain.

Just send a million consoles to China, I am sure it will get sold somehow, whether from Chinese or foreign buyers.

Sony still needs to be strategic with how they ship consoles during shortages. 

RolStoppable said:

This is the kind of thread that can give birth to the next "globally in the US" meme. Too bad that "week 72 sell-through after global launch" doesn't have the same ring to it.

Nothing in this thread has been overstated to reach that level lol.