By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Embracer Group plans to unleash the Square IP's they just acquired

Could be a zerg rush of ports, remakes and remasters to all the current gen systems? (Switch, PS5 and XSX.)

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
kirby007 said:
ZyroXZ2 said:

I'm just REALLYYYYYY curious how they're going to handle Tomb Raider. The reboot series was good (Rise of the Tomb Raider was the best of the three, though), and I saw great potential in it becoming a pillar franchise in gaming against the giant of Uncharted, but now I'm just concerned... D:

2 words

Spoiler!
Big Titties

Even though I wasn't around at the time, I had actually said to several people that they further reduced her cup size in Shadow of the Tomb Raider, and in some ways it's less about the perviness and more about the unnecessary reduction in cup size.  In fact, I'd be HAPPY if they returned to her Legends/Anniversary cup size.  It's perfectly okay for Lara to be voluptuous, they just don't need to focus on or sexualize it.  I think somewhere along the lines is a bunch of males that don't exactly understand female sexuality, so somewhere they just kept saying "if we keep reducing the cup size down, no one can get angry about her sexuality!" when all they've actually done is just keep reducing her cup size down to no real effect.  It was a vocal minority that had a problem with it, and the latest entries actually make Lara a true character and not just some voluptuous eye-candy.  I think people underestimate how understanding both men AND women can be if you develop a character properly, regardless of their cup size...  I think they could have kept her cup size because with all she goes through in both the Tomb Raider reboot and Rise of the Tomb Raider, no one's going to be pissed about a couple of D cups on a girl who's been through hell.

Anyway, it's okay for women to be voluptuous AND have a character.

/rant

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/

Hopefully this includes porting Tomb Raider 2013, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and Shadow of the Tomb Raider to the Switch.
They even own Saber to do the conversion for them.

Do this Embracer guys have any good AAA game? I really never heard of them and they look like a conglomerate of very small studios.

IcaroRibeiro said:

Do this Embracer guys have any good AAA game? I really never heard of them and they look like a conglomerate of very small studios.

I mean, Embracer owns the entirety of Gearbox, THQ Nordic, and Saber Interactive that are the biggest developers/publishers they own. Then throw in Crystal Dynamics and Eidos-Montreal. 

The list of IPs they own is pretty insane and some most don't even realize, and that was before their acquisition from Square.

Here's a brief screenshot of studios and IPs they own, and this doesn't show everything they own either.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

I wouldn't exactly call Eidos-Montréal and Crystal Dynamics small studios.

Those are the studios they are buying, I meant among their current stuff is there any studio know for making AAA single player games for consoles? Because the list seems full to multiplayer online games and mobile games. So for I have very low confidence this group can handle Tomb Rider any better than Square

IcaroRibeiro said:
mZuzek said:

I wouldn't exactly call Eidos-Montréal and Crystal Dynamics small studios.

Those are the studios they are buying, I meant among their current stuff is there any studio know for making AAA single player games for consoles? Because the list seems full to multiplayer online games and mobile games. So for I have very low confidence this group can handle Tomb Rider any better than Square

They have like a bunch of AAA games in development right now. There are definitely single player games there too.

A new Tomb Raider game is already is development at Crystal Dynamics, with every indication it is a Triple-A project:
https://www.polygon.com/23011809/tomb-raider-new-game-unreal-engine-5

Last edited by curl-6 - on 25 May 2022

Kakadu18 said:

They have like a bunch of AAA games in development right now. There are definitely single player games there too.

Any released? Or close to release? 

twintail said:

I didn't think a publisher could be less interesting than Ubisoft or EA. But here we go.

Exactly my thoughts looking that picture. The only noteworthy game there is Valheim the rest... a big yawn

Like... are people really excited for that acquisition?