By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5, Xbox Series X|S, and Switch Sales Drop - Global Hardware May 1-7

Xbox Done.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Xbox Done.

Time to do a 360 and go the other way.

It's a normal week of May, nothing unusual here haha

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

These supply issues are really out of hand.
I have to wonder how many xbox consoles have sold due to the lack of PlayStations.
I know it's not in every case but I know of 4 people who would of had PS5s but now own xboxes because no ps5s are to be found.
Sony are gonna lose sales permanently because of this

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

Yeah, these shortages suck for everybody really. Even Switch OLED, which was readily available here in the US for the past two months, is tricky to find now since Switch Sports released. Nothing like the other two though; I've still never seen a PS5 or Series X in stock anywhere for msrp.

Around the Network
Serious_frusting said:

I have to wonder how many xbox consoles have sold due to the lack of PlayStations.
I know it's not in every case but I know of 4 people who would of had PS5s but now own xboxes because no ps5s are to be found.

Sony expects to ship 18M PS5's for FY22, which by their own accord is a conservative estimate, down from their original forecast of 22.4M. Xbox won't be able to capitalize on shortages going forward. 

Share the article here.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs Switch 2022 Sales Comparison Charts Through May 7

Here we see data representing the global sales through to consumers and change in sales performance of the three current platforms (PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch) and three legacy platforms (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo 3DS) over comparable periods for 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022. Also shown is the market share for each of the consoles over the same periods.

Year to Date Sales Comparison (Same Periods Covered)

Market Share (Same Periods Covered)

2019 – (Week ending January 12 to May 11)

2020 – (Week ending January 11 to May 9)

2021 – (Week ending January 9 to May 8)

2022 – (Week ending January 8 to May 7)

"Year to date" sales for 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022 sales are shown in series at the top of the table and then just below a comparison of 2022 versus 2021 and 2022 versus 2020 is displayed.  This provides an easy-to-view summary of all the data.

Total Sales and Market Share for Each Year

Microsoft

• Xbox Series X|S – Up Year-on-Year 904,875 (+48.4%)
  • Xbox One – Down Year-on-Year 379,614 (-93.3%)

Nintendo

• Nintendo Switch - Down Year-on-Year 2,247,487 (-28.4%)

Sony

• PlayStation 5 – Down Year-on-Year 1,030,990 (-28.1%)
  • PlayStation 4 – Down Year-on-Year 924,360 (-76.6%)

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

PotentHerbs said:
Serious_frusting said:

Sony expects to ship 18M PS5's for FY22, which by their own accord is a conservative estimate, down from their original forecast of 22.4M. Xbox won't be able to capitalize on shortages going forward. 

I wouldn't be so sure of the shortages abating any time soon.

Sony forecasted 14.8 million PS5s for the past FY but only managed 11.5 million. I would not be surprised if they fall short of their 18 million target for the current FY as well. There's no sign that the chip crunch is going to end in the short term.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Share the article here.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs Switch Launch Sales Comparison Through Week 78

This weekly series compares the aligned launch sales of the PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch.

It should be noted the Nintendo Switch and Xbox Series X|S had a worldwide launch, while the PlayStation 5 launch was split over the course of two weeks. Also, the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017, while the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S launched during the holidays in November 2020.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Global:

1. Switch: 19,663,058
  2. PS5: 19,619,874
  3. XSX|S: 14,565,738

Through the first 78 weeks available worldwide the Nintendo Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 0.04 million units units and is 5.10 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 5.05 million units.

The Switch has sold 19.66 million in 78 weeks worldwide, while the PS5 sold 19.62 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 14.57 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 78 weeks, the Switch is in the lead. The Switch has a 36.5 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 36.4 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 27.1 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch US:

1. PS5: 7,277,517
  2. XSX|S: 7,111,575
  3. Switch: 6,867,580

Through the first 78 weeks available in the US the PlayStation 5 is ahead of the Nintendo Switch and Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 0.17 million units and is 0.41 million units ahead of the Switch. The Xbox Series X|S is ahead of the Switch by 0.24 million units.

The PS5 has sold 7.28 million in 78 weeks in the US, while the Xbox Series X|S sold 7.11 million units and the Switch 6.87 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 78 weeks, the PS5 currently leads. The PS5 has a 34.2 percent marketshare, the Xbox Series X|S sits at 33.5 percent, and the Switch at 32.3 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Europe (77 weeks):

1. PS5: 7,194,616
  2. Switch: 4,917,339
  3. XSX|S: 4,255,332

The PlayStation 5 has been available for one week less than the Xbox Series X|S in Europe. After 77 weeks the PS5 is ahead of the Switch by 2.28 million units and is 2.94 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 0.66 million units.

The PS5 has sold 7.19 million in 77 weeks in Europe, while the Switch sold 4.92 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 4.26 million units. 

Looking at the marketshare through 76 weeks, the PlayStation 5 currently leads. The PS5 has a 44.0 percent marketshare, the Switch sits at 30.0 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 26.0 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Japan:

1. Switch: 4,980,377
  2. PS5: 1,623,581
  3. XSX|S: 201,042

Through the first 78 weeks available in Japan the Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S by a wide margin. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 3.36 million units and is 4.78 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 1.42 million units.

The Switch has sold 4.98 million units in 78 weeks in Japan, while the PS5 has sold 1.62 million units, and the Xbox Series X|S 0.20 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 78 weeks, the Switch currently leads. The Switch has a 73.2 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 23.9 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 2.9 percent.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Sales for week ending May 14 isn't going to be pretty for PS5.

The data we have is showing there was next to no stock for the PS5 and Series X in the US. Series S being readily available will keep Xbox Series sales from dropping a ton in the US.

In Japan, Famitsu shows PS5 sold just 2,693 units, while Xbox Series X|S sold 6,225 units.

On the Swiss charts it shows GT7 fall from 6th to 9th and Horizon: Forbidden West fell out of the top 10 all together. That usually signals less PS5 stock for the week.

ON the UK charts there was no mention on PS5 stock, which isn't a great sign as in the previous few weeks when there was good stock, Chris at GamesIndustry made a note of that. However, Horizon Forbidden West did remain in 3rd place for the week.