By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts April 2022 Discussion Thread

Welcome everyone to the VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts April 2022 Discussion Thread. This thread is a place for everyone to discuss the latest VGChartz monthly Sales Comparison articles for the month of April 2022. Everyone is welcome to post monthly articles I haven't done so yet.  You can view the ones currently posted here

Previous months:

2022: January, February, March

2021: January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December

2020: January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December

2019: September, October, NovemberDecember

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

Share the article here.

Nintendo Switch Outsells Lifetime 3DS Sales in Japan

This monthly series compares the aligned Japanese sales of the Nintendo Switch and Nintendo 3DS.

The 3DS launched in February 2011 in Japan and the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. This does mean the normal holiday periods and the Japanese Golden Week holiday for the two consoles are off by one month.

Switch Vs. 3DS Japan:

Gap change in latest month: 242,399 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 2,747,106 - Switch

Total Lead: 4,129,115 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 24,723,106

3DS Total Sales: 20,593,991

April 2022 is the 62nd month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in Japan. During the latest month, the Switch outsold the 3DS by 242,399 units when you align the launches. In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the 3DS by 2.75 million units. The Switch is currently ahead of the 3DS by 4.13 million units.

The 62nd month for the Switch is April 2022, while for the 3DS it is March 2016. The Switch has sold 24.72 million units, while the 3DS sold 20.59 million units during the same timeframe.

The 3DS sold 24.67 million units lifetime in Japan, which means the Nintendo Switch has now outsold the 3DS after 62 months.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

There it is. I am kind of sad to see this chart go. It perfectly illustrates just how underestimated the Switch was. If you were paying attention, then you'd remember the 3DS got an early price cut, and was therefore frontloaded, while the Switch has yet to have a price cut. However, plenty of people for the first few years seemed to prefer to not to pay attention and assumed 3DS would outsell Switch in Japan.

Switch taking the #1 spot in Japan I think is a guarantee at this point.

Chicho said:

I love seeing these.

Around the Network

Adios 3DS.
Another one bites the dust in Switch's long march up the charts.
I'm not feeling confident either way on whether it will outsell Gameboy or DS, but just making it to #3 of all time is a phenomenal achievement.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

I'm waiting on the monthly Europe chart that gets released on GamesIndustry before I do any worldwide or Europe sales comparison articles. So for now we got Switch vs DS in Japan and the US sales comparison ones.

Share the article here.

Switch vs DS in Japan Sales Comparison - April 2022

This monthly series compares the aligned Japanese sales of the Nintendo Switch and Nintendo DS.

The DS launched in December 2004 in Japan and the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. Therefore, the normal holiday periods and the Japanese Golden Week holiday for the two consoles do not lineup.

Switch Vs. DS Japan:

Gap change in latest month: 71,842 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 1,014,222 - Switch

Total Lead: 4,969,806 - DS

Switch Total Sales: 24,723,106

DS Total Sales: 29,692,912

April 2022 is the 62nd month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in Japan. During the latest month, the Switch has outsold the DS by 71,842 units when you align the launches.

In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the DS by 1.01 million units. The DS is currently ahead of the Switch by 4.97 million units.

The 62nd month for the Switch is April 2022, while for the DS it is January 2010. The Switch has sold 24.72 million units, while the DS sold 29.69 million units during the same timeframe. The DS sold current Switch sales in month 50.

The DS has sold 32.98 million units lifetime in Japan. The Switch is currently 8.26 million units behind the lifetime sales of the DS.

Sure Switch is about 5m behind the DS, but it only has to sell 8.3m+ in order to surpass DS's lifetime sales. DS has almost no legs going forward.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Sure Switch is about 5m behind the DS, but it only has to sell 8.3m+ in order to surpass DS's lifetime sales. DS has almost no legs going forward.

yes, agreed. Switch should have much better legs than the DS. At this point DS sales fell off rather quickly. Switch is likely to outsell the DS in Japan. Unless sales start to drop quickly.