By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts April 2022 Discussion Thread

There it is. I am kind of sad to see this chart go. It perfectly illustrates just how underestimated the Switch was. If you were paying attention, then you'd remember the 3DS got an early price cut, and was therefore frontloaded, while the Switch has yet to have a price cut. However, plenty of people for the first few years seemed to prefer to not to pay attention and assumed 3DS would outsell Switch in Japan.

Switch taking the #1 spot in Japan I think is a guarantee at this point.

Around the Network

Chicho said:

I love seeing these.

Adios 3DS.
Another one bites the dust in Switch's long march up the charts.
I'm not feeling confident either way on whether it will outsell Gameboy or DS, but just making it to #3 of all time is a phenomenal achievement.

Sure Switch is about 5m behind the DS, but it only has to sell 8.3m+ in order to surpass DS's lifetime sales. DS has almost no legs going forward.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Sure Switch is about 5m behind the DS, but it only has to sell 8.3m+ in order to surpass DS's lifetime sales. DS has almost no legs going forward.

yes, agreed. Switch should have much better legs than the DS. At this point DS sales fell off rather quickly. Switch is likely to outsell the DS in Japan. Unless sales start to drop quickly. 

I mean DS is proof of how quickly Japan can drop things, but Switch is in a great position right now.

Even if sales see a steep decline next year & after, I can't see Switch ending lower than 31mil as it should end this year over 28mil. If there is no new model I think it will mostly likely fall in the 32-33mil range.

Curiously looks like on the platform totals pages Switch will end close to a 50/40/30/20 split for Americas/Europe/Japan/ROW (with 40m in Europe being the only one that will be a tough target)

They are neck and neck.

The PS3 was really slow early on.

Would still love to see Xbox Series vs 3DS as that's the next system up in sales from the Xbone.

trunkswd said:

I'm working on updates to the sales comparison charts. I've relabeled one of the Gap Charts, so it shows "PS5 Lead > 0 / Wii Lead < 0" and removed the "XXX Lead" in the header. What do you all think?

It makes sense. Thanks.