By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts April 2022 Discussion Thread

It will be interesting to watch. With the fact that current year see a noticable drop in sales for switch in japan and will only drop going forward I expect lifetime sales to top at around 30M, but 3M more isn't that much and if they don't release a successor till end of 2024 it may reach that 33M number lifetime.

Last edited by yo33331 - on 16 May 2022

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Sure Switch is about 5m behind the DS, but it only has to sell 8.3m+ in order to surpass DS's lifetime sales. DS has almost no legs going forward.

yes, agreed. Switch should have much better legs than the DS. At this point DS sales fell off rather quickly. Switch is likely to outsell the DS in Japan. Unless sales start to drop quickly. 

I mean DS is proof of how quickly Japan can drop things, but Switch is in a great position right now.

Even if sales see a steep decline next year & after, I can't see Switch ending lower than 31mil as it should end this year over 28mil. If there is no new model I think it will mostly likely fall in the 32-33mil range.

Curiously looks like on the platform totals pages Switch will end close to a 50/40/30/20 split for Americas/Europe/Japan/ROW (with 40m in Europe being the only one that will be a tough target)

HigHurtenflurst said:
trunkswd said:

yes, agreed. Switch should have much better legs than the DS. At this point DS sales fell off rather quickly. Switch is likely to outsell the DS in Japan. Unless sales start to drop quickly. 

I mean DS is proof of how quickly Japan can drop things, but Switch is in a great position right now.

Even if sales see a steep decline next year & after, I can't see Switch ending lower than 31mil as it should end this year over 28mil. If there is no new model I think it will mostly likely fall in the 32-33mil range.

Curiously looks like on the platform totals pages Switch will end close to a 50/40/30/20 split for Americas/Europe/Japan/ROW (with 40m in Europe being the only one that will be a tough target)

The 3DS launch in Japan is about a year away in the comparison and that is likely a good cause of the drop in DS sales. I don't see the Switch successor launching until March 2024 or later.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Share the article here.

PS5 vs PS4 Sales Comparison - April 2022

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4.

The PlayStation 5 launched in November 2020, while the PlayStation 4 launched in November 2013. This does mean the holiday periods for the two consoles do lineup.

PS5 Vs. PS4 Worldwide:

Gap change in latest month: 62,649 – PS5

Gap change over last 12 months: 2,790,144 - PS4

Total Lead: 2,563,674 - PS4

PlayStation 5 Total Sales: 19,464,276

PlayStation 4 Total Sales: 22,027,950

April 2022 is the 18th month the PlayStation 5 has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the PlayStation 5 when compared to the aligned launch of the PlayStation 4 by 62,649 units.

In the last 12 months, the PS4 has outsold the PS5 by 2.79 million units. The PS4 is currently ahead of the PS5 by 2.56 million units.

The PS5 has sold 19.46 million units in 18 months, while the PS4 sold 22.03 million units. Month 18 for the PS5 is April 2022 and for the PS4 is April 2015.

The PS4 crossed 20 million units in month 17, 30 million units in month 25, and 40 million units in month 31. The PS4 has sold 116.83 million units to date.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Share the article here.

Xbox Series X|S vs Xbox One Sales Comparison - April 2022

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One.

The Xbox Series X|S launched in November 2020, while the Xbox One launched in November 2013. This does mean the holiday periods for the two consoles do lineup.

XSX|S Vs. XOne Worldwide:

Gap change in latest month: 431,898 - XSX|S

Gap change over last 12 months: 2,059,378 - XSX|S

Total Lead: 2,614,136 - XSX|S

Xbox Series X|S Total Sales: 14,428,785

Xbox One Total Sales: 11,814,649

April 2022 is the 18th month the Xbox Series X|S has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Xbox Series X|S when compared to the aligned launch of the Xbox One by 431,898 units.

In the last 12 months, the Xbox Series X|S has grown by 2.06 million units. The Xbox Series X|S is currently ahead by 2.61 million units.

The Xbox Series X|S has sold 14.43 million units in 18 months, while the Xbox One sold 11.81 million units. Month 18 for the Xbox Series X|S is April 2022 and for the Xbox One is April 2015.

The Xbox One did not reach current Xbox Series X|S sales until month 25 when it sold 16.34 million units.

The Xbox One crossed 20 million in month 30, 30 million in month 48, and 40 million in month 61. The Xbox One has sold 50.53 million units to date.

Around the Network

Share the article here.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Sales Comparison - April 2022

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S.

The PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S both launched in November 2020. The PlayStation 5 launched November 12, 2020 in North America, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, South Korea, and Singapore, and the rest of the world on November 19, 2020. The Xbox Series X|S launched worldwide on November 10, 2020.

PS5 Vs. XSX|S Worldwide:

Gap change in latest month: 103,620 - PS5

Gap change over last 12 months: 1,948,434 - PS5

Total Lead: 5,035,491 - PS5

PlayStation 5 Total Sales: 19,464,276

Xbox Series X|S Total Sales: 14,428,785

April 2022 is the 18th month the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the PlayStation 5 when compared to the aligned launch of the Xbox Series X|S by 103,620 units.

In the last 12 months, the PlayStation 5 has outsold the Xbox Series X|S by 1.95 million units. The PlayStation 5 is currently ahead by 5.04 million units.

The PlayStation 5 has sold 19.46 million units in 18 months, while the Xbox Series X|S sold 14.43 million units. The PlayStation 5 has a 57.4 percent marketshare (-0.2% month-over-month), compared to 42.6 percent for the Xbox Series X|S (+0.2% month-over-month).

The PlayStation 5 is currently 2.56 million units behind of the PlayStation 4 when you align launches and the Xbox Series X|S is ahead of the Xbox One by 2.61 million units.

Share the article here.

PS5 and Xbox Series X|S vs PS4 and Xbox One Sales Comparison - April 2022

This monthly series compares the combined aligned sales of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S with the combined aligned sales of the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

The PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S launched in November 2020, while the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One launched in November 2013. This does mean the holiday periods for the two consoles do lineup.

Gap change in latest month: 494,547 - PS5 & XSX|S

Gap change over last 12 months: 730,766 - PS4 & XOne

Total Lead: 50,462 - PS5 & XSX|S

Total Combined PS5 and Xbox Series X|S Sales: 33,893,061

Total Combined PS4 and Xbox One Sales: 33,842,599

In April 2022, the gap grew in favor of the combined sales of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S when compared to the aligned launch of the PlayStation 4 and Xbox Series One in the last month by 494,547 units.

In the last 12 months, the PS4 and Xbox One has sold 730,766 units more. The PS5 and Xbox Series X|S has retaken the lead over the PS3 and Xbox One in the latest month and is now ahead by 50,462 units.

The PS5 and Xbox Series X|S in their first 18 months sold a combined 33.89 million units, while the PS4 and Xbox One have sold a combined 33.84 million units. Month 18 is April 2022 for the PS5 and Xbox Series X|S, while for the PS4 and Xbox One it is April 2015.

The PlayStation 4 and Xbox One have sold a combined 167.35 million units after 102 months.

They are neck and neck.

Chicho said:

They are neck and neck.

Right now it pretty much comes down stock for the PS5 and Xbox Series X|S to keep up or grow its lead.

Share the article here.

Switch vs PS4 Sales Comparison - April 2022

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the Nintendo Switch and the PlayStation 4.

The PlayStation 4 launched in November 2013, while the Nintendo Switch launched worldwide in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

Switch Vs. PS4 Global:

Gap change in latest month: 1,366,260 - PS4

Gap change over last 12 months: 4,620,897 - Switch

Total Lead: 15,680,404 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 107,367,298

PS4 Total Sales: 91,686,894

April 2022 is the 62nd month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the PS4 by 1.37 million units when compared to the Switch during the same timeframe.

In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the PS4 by 4.62 million units. The Switch is currently ahead of the PS4 by 15.68 million units.

The 62nd month on sale for the Nintendo Switch is April 2022, while for the PlayStation 4 it is December 2018. The Switch has sold 107.37 million units, while the PlayStation 4 sold 91.69 million units during the same timeframe.

The PlayStation 4 did not reach current Switch sales until month 77 where it sold 108.07 million units.

The PlayStation 4 has sold 116.83 million units through April 2022. The Nintendo Switch is currently 9.46 million units behind the lifetime sales of the PlayStation 4.