By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Updated Sales numbers for some NSW games (6months) DK/Yoshi/Fire Emblem

KrspaceT said:

I doubt any First Partyish N-Switch game hasn't been profitable at this point. Like some surely paid for themselves more than others, but when Breath had a 2 million min requirement to break even, I think everyone else is quite fine.

That was a mistranslation. BotW didn't need 2mil to break even. We don't know how much it needed. What was said was that they expected their games to sell 2mil on average on the Switch.

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:
KrspaceT said:

I doubt any First Partyish N-Switch game hasn't been profitable at this point. Like some surely paid for themselves more than others, but when Breath had a 2 million min requirement to break even, I think everyone else is quite fine.

That was a mistranslation. BotW didn't need 2mil to break even. We don't know how much it needed. What was said was that they expected their games to sell 2mil on average on the Switch.

How do you know that? Do you have a transcript of what was originally said in the interview?

deerox said:
Kakadu18 said:

How do you know that? Do you have a transcript of what was originally said in the interview?

No, but I've been told that here and on other sites several times by various people years ago already. I'm sure someone who actually speaks Japanese is better at translating this than some useless machine translation. They always make mistakes.

Kakadu18 said:
deerox said:

No, but I've been told that here and on other sites several times by various people years ago already. I'm sure someone who actually speaks Japanese is better at translating this than some useless machine translation. They always make mistakes.

I read it myself now. What he said was that the game had more then 300 people credited for it and that the development took more then 5 years, he then goes on to say that the cost problem is covered by selling more then 2 million copies worldwide. He was definitively talking specifically about BOTW.

It's not like everyone else was just using Google Translate either. The Forbes article was written by Ollie Barder who is a Japanese speaker and have lived in Japan for 20 years.

Original quote:

"宮本:ブレスオブザワイルドに100名を越える体制、クレジットに入れている人数だと300名以上、5年以上費やしている。今回は苦労しているが、次回作に役に立つ。コスト問題はソフトを200万本以上という大量に売ることで回収する。国内市場だけだと30万本でヒットだが、世界に向けて売る。"

Last edited by deerox - on 02 May 2022

BOTW is almost certainly Nintendo's most expensive game released to date, so if that only needed to sell $2 million, then yeah, pretty much everything else they've released this gen must have made money.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

BOTW is almost certainly Nintendo's most expensive game released to date, so if that only needed to sell $2 million, then yeah, pretty much everything else they've released this gen must have made money.

When something as big as Breath of The Wild only needs to sell 2 million to break even, it's not hard to imagine that games like Metroid Dread and Yoshi's Crafted World that sold more then 2.5mil earned more then double what they needed to break even.

Yeah Astral Chain certainly made a profit, same with every game up to and including Xenoblade X. Honestly Star Fox Zero's probably the only one that likely didn't in any vaguely recent time

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

UnderwaterFunktown said:

Damn did some of these games really do nearly half a mil in 6 months? Yoshi's Crafted World in particular is suprising.

Tragic to see that Astral Chain barely moved though. I really think they could have done more to market it.

I would like to have seen Astral Chain get more sales as well, but I actually think they did put in more of an effort with marketing than usual in this case.  I specifically recall even seeing ads pop up for it in the mobile games I had been playing around that time.

Valdney said:
Kakadu18 said:

Disappointed by Astral Chain's legs. It deserves way more.

Well I wanted to buy a copy of the game, but the physical version is not even available anymore.

Amazon and PlayAsia both have copies at just below the original MSRP.

Mar1217 said:

Official updates for Xenoblade 2 is always welcomed ! Though we do know the game sold another 150K+ during the quarter XC1 Definitive Edition released. Then Pyra/Mythra went in Smash. Yeah the game is at way more than 2.5M now at least. XC3 announcement and release will most certainly jack the numbers up a bit. Might it the 3M LT sales !

How do we know that?