By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - March NPD 2022 Thread - NS #1, Xbox Series X|S #2 as it Sets Xbox Record

Incredible how Xbox SX has risen up in all these months... Hope they can reach even greater numbers... Switch does not surprise to this point, only waiting it surpass Gameboy and PS4... And about PS5, well, a lame really, would be interesting how much would be the thing with normal stock supply

Around the Network

Makes me wonder how much more Xbox Series would be selling if it wasn't supply constrained.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Switch and XBox did excellent this month. There is no doubt that XBox is topling Playstation in the US.

However, I think this month is really about Elden Ring. It topped combined charts as well as XBox and Playstation charts. The only game that has sold more in the past 12 months is Call of Duty. When you consider that last month only had 2 days of Elden Ring sales, there is a very good chance that Elden Ring will pass Call of Duty at some point and get the title of "best selling game for a 12 month period".

Also I just want to point out that even though Mario Kart 8 only includes physical sales it is above Call of Duty this month. That's right, if you take all 5 of Call of Duty's platforms and include both physical and digital sales it is still less than the physical only sales of Mario Kart 8. I ask you, what is the real super franchise here?

Kyuu said:

So Elden Ring's 2nd month on Playstation alone beat the highest grossing Gran Turismo of all time at its launch month. Let that sink in. Granted NPD February only tracked two days for Elden Ring, but it sold insane numbers that month regardless.

I swear it's going to outperform every new AAA game save for Mario Kart 9 and GTA6 lol.

I don't know. I think it does not make sense to compare it against GT. GT is NOT what it was, no matter how much some love the franchise; it is simply not at the same level and the game genre is also not as popular as before when you have open world racing games out there that attract a larger audience.

I do not believe Elden Ring will beat something like the new God of Wars on PlayStation for instance or Starfield on the Xbox side. I know GT is a AAA, but I really believe it is an outliner. 

No trying to downplay Elden Ring here, cause it is really killing it (and well deserved) but we do not really have any good comparison at this moment. Maybe Horizon... Meh don't know, I feel like the next AAA will be the real test (GoW and Starfield)

Kyuu said:
Imaginedvl said:

I don't know. I think it does not make sense to compare it against GT. GT is NOT what it was, no matter how much some love the franchise; it is simply not at the same level and the game genre is also not as popular as before when you have open world racing games out there that attract a larger audience.

I do not believe Elden Ring will beat something like the new God of Wars on PlayStation for instance or Starfield on the Xbox side. I know GT is a AAA, but I really believe it is an outliner. 

No trying to downplay Elden Ring here, cause it is really killing it (and well deserved) but we do not really have any good comparison at this moment. Maybe Horizon... Meh don't know, I feel like the next AAA will be the real test (GoW and Starfield)

And yet GT7 is literally the highest grossing GT of all time in the US?

Sure, relative to the biggest games out there, it's nowhere near as significant as it once was. But the rankings and numbers its pulling thus far are quite impressive.

God of War won't stand a chance. And Statfield may well be the next Halo Infinite and exit most charts as soon as it enters them. Can't even see it selling over 35% of Elden Ring without a Playstation version.

Elden Ring is going for that easy 35 million+ copies sold.

I don't you are getting my point. I'm not bashing GT too, so please... Any NEW version (good ones) of games are going to eventually beat the previous one (the gaming makert is way bigger than it was for the last GT and same goes for other big games). sure there are outliners but it is what it is. You can see that with almost every AAA games coming out, setting new records for the franchise. GT is nowhere close to where it was and while it is still doing very well, you cannot compare GT sales to Elden Rings like apples to apples. It is not. And I believe the SAME exact thing for Forza Motorsport, while it will do very well like GT, I believe it will be nowhere as successfull as before, thanks to open world racing games like Forza Horizon, the genre is just less popular now (GT and FZ MOTR)

Also for Elden Rings on Xbox or PlayStation I'm talking "per" platform... Obviously if you look at sales on all platforms and compare this number to a game that is being sold on only one platform, you do not need to be a math genius to assume it will sell better overall (unless the game is crap).

I think Starfield is going to beat it... yes (xbox sales versus Xbox sales).
And same goes for GoW on the PlayStation side. I do not think this anywhere close to be far stretched...

Last edited by Imaginedvl - on 25 April 2022

Around the Network
Kyuu said:

I agreed that GT isn't as significant as it was, you're not adding much to that. GT's "significance" however is not relevant to gauging revenue and estimating copies sold. Thanks to GT7's record, we can use it to have a good guess as to how many copies Elden Ring sold, and it's mad impressive to put it lightly. This is a game that sells best on PC.

Well, it'll sell the least on Xbox by a wide margin. So in that case yes, I wouldn't rule out Starfield outselling it on Xbox even though I still don't see it. On individual platforms, exclusives have a major selling advantage over multiplats for obvious reasons.

Well, I think relevance is important and drives sales at the end :) More people are buying more games and if a game is more popular or catter to more people; it will sale better at the end.

I agree that Elen Ring did extremly well per platform basis (again, comparing exclusives to multi plat is not relevant imo, they will, most of the time sale more overall). Overall I would agree with your first post, Elden Ring is going to be really hard to beat (again, per platform); I just do not believe GT7 is the right opposition for it, that's all. 

And yes, exclusives tends to probably perform better; so doing better than that with a multiplatform always quite the feat! What else did that?
COD? I cannot see any other games being able to do that (multiplatofrm AAA beating another popular exclusive AAA, and I know this is very subjective but well)

Great month for Switch and Xbox. Elden Ring and GT7 also did quite well.

Looks like PS5 will not be able to keep up with the Switch or XS in the US this gen

Bofferbrauer2 said:

Looks like PS5 will not be able to keep up with the Switch or XS in the US this gen

At least not this year.

trunkswd said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

It comes down to shortages as the main reason for the very low PS5 sales. But even going into the start of this generation I predicted Xbox Series X|S to outsell the PS5 in the US by 5M-10M.

I think shortages are only half the reason. XS is very popular, in contrast to it's predecessor, which will steal many sales.

This is especially true early on, since many want to buy the console their buddy plays on. And if those got an XS because they couldn't get a PS5, then the shortages will also have some long-term consequences.