By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Is free speech suppressed on the internet's main public squares

Yes 56 53.85%

No 44 42.31%

Undecided 4 3.85%

Total:104

Around the Network
Pemalite said:

What I am finding to be an issue is that, yes free speech is important... But not if it comes at the expense of being ethical towards other people.

There is no room for bigotry, fake information, hate speech, homophobia, sexism, racism and more, period. Real life or online.
It's called being respectful.

I think Musk just thrives on attention, Trump does the same thing, they like to be the center of it, that is how they make their "brand"... So the crazier the idea, the more disruption they can cause, the better for their particular brand... Which is themselves.

But you know what? If twitter falters and fails, there will be another company to take it's place.

Pemalite said:

Generally free speech has a ton of restrictions anyway. Libel/Slander for example are some restrictions to free speech.

In saying that, proponents of free-speech don't seem to recognize those fundamental limitations and desire a free-for-all.
That is... Until they suffer the wrath of other peoples free-speech, then wish to impose limitations and start acting like a snow-flake until they get their own way.

In short, the guy is your typical hypocrite, they exist on the left and right side of the political spectrum.

I'd guess Elon had about enough of hearing, it's a private business so they can do what they want, and, if you don't like it go build your own.

So he just bought it instead and then decided to do what he wants by actually taking it private.

Hypocrites will soon be the norm at this rate. The right is increasingly realizing that pointing out hypocrisy doesn't accomplish much, while the hypocrites tend to keep winning somehow, so they're shifting from playing heads they win, tales we lose, to playing hypocrisy as well. Do not do as you say, collect $8 per blue check.

Twitter failing could very well mean a right wing platform becomes the new town square, and if that takes place while conservatives are shifting from morality to hypocrisy, then we just might get old Twitter back again, just flipped politically, and that no doubt would be a nightmare to some.

the-pi-guy said:
ConservagameR said:

Wasting all that PayPal money on electric cars and reusable rockets that'll both crash and burn..

It certainly hasn't sunk in yet. How long before the lightbulb illuminates?

And that was before he had tens of billions of dollars at his disposal.

Your post is like a half written sentence.

Just because someone has had success in the past, doesn't guarantee that they will in the future. 

There are plenty of factors that affect whether someone will be successful or a failure outside of their own decisions or who they are. 
Plenty of big companies have multiple wildly successful ventures, that find themselves with big failures. 

With pictures being worth 1000 words, I'd say it's more like a bunch of paragraphs. Is the glass half full or half empty?

ConservagameR said:

I'm not sure if you didn't read the quotes, or don't understand them. They don't say or mean he'll definitely succeed, which is the point.

As others have said here, if Twitter falters and fails, then it's not like Elon wasn't expecting it, and it's not like he can't afford it either.

Considering it's being said here that he's clearly a conservative, and the conservative Twitter catch phrase right now is burn it to the ground, he'd be like a.. God to them if he failed. Talk about a win win situation.

ConservagameR said:

I'd guess Elon had about enough of hearing, it's a private business so they can do what they want, and, if you don't like it go build your own.

So he just bought it instead and then decided to do what he wants by actually taking it private.

Hypocrites will soon be the norm at this rate. The right is increasingly realizing that pointing out hypocrisy doesn't accomplish much, while the hypocrites tend to keep winning somehow, so they're shifting from playing heads they win, tales we lose, to playing hypocrisy as well. Do not do as you say, collect $8 per blue check.

Twitter failing could very well mean a right wing platform becomes the new town square, and if that takes place while conservatives are shifting from morality to hypocrisy, then we just might get old Twitter back again, just flipped politically, and that no doubt would be a nightmare to some.

The far-right's definition of hypocrisy is much like the far-right's definition of free speech: To them it means something very different than what the actual definition of these terms is.

"Conservatives are shifting from morality to hypocrisy," that implies that the so-called conservatives had had morals before. Just LOL.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

Crown said:

No + he is gonna replace the engineer who left. (He is a billionaire) + I dont use twitter often, my account is a ghost, just checking news for games or minor info. + I feel this hystery is a battle between republican and democrat over twitter with media making it big. Musk is seen as a republican taking over twitter, (he speak about unbanning Trump etc.., this make the democrat really uncomfortable) but since im neither a democrat, neither an american, i pretty much dont care. Once the hysteria goes down, it will get better and im still gonna check twitter for information like i do. It doesn't matter who's the ceo of twitter for me.

I am a software engineer and I ask you why would any engineer go to work for Twitter when you will be working 80 hrs weeks for no compensation.  Even if he offered it, what incentive would any good software engineer go to twitter when so far it looks like a dumpster fire where you really do not know if your job is secure.  Twitter has absolutely nothing to do with Dems or Republicans and everything about working environment.  There is nothing about twitter after Musk takeover that says "I want to work there".  There are plenty of jobs currently for software engineers.  Yes, some of the big tech companies are laying off but there are so many non tech jobs looking for experienced software engineers that those people will easily find new jobs.

Trust you me, there is no software engineer who cares how much Musk personally has in his pocket.  Right now, Twitter was just mildly bleeding money, now its hemorrhaging money, the CEO does not give you the option to work at home and he wants you to spend your 80+ hours fixing his mess.  Yeah, the only people he will see coming or staying at twitter are the people who he probably would have fired anyway.

Around the Network

Looks like Musk got inspired by Liz Truss' speedrun out of the office and wants to beat her record.

The big question is: Will Elon survive against a lettuce?

ConservagameR said:

Wasting all that PayPal money on electric cars and reusable rockets that'll both crash and burn..

You’re conflating R&D strategies with the mismanagement of an established live service.

Elon Musk has become Mr. Fishoder from Bob’s Burgers. A living parody of once successful business owners who have driven their heads so far up their own asses that they can’t distinguish solid R&D processes from the whimsical implementation of any shitty thought that pops into their head. 

Save the brain dead slogans from motivational pamphlets… unless you’re a keynote speaker at an Avon or NFT recruitment party… or an actor in a dystopian play inspired by Brave New World.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

ConservagameR said:

With pictures being worth 1000 words, I'd say it's more like a bunch of paragraphs.

That’s the same excuse my three year old daughter gives me when she wants to describe pictures instead of reading.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

ConservagameR said:

No. And you are correct, they can do what they want.
But by that same token, I am entitled to criticise them, all day long.
Free speech remember? Or is it only Free-Speech that -you- agree with?

ConservagameR said:

Do you not see Elon's hypocrisy? Screeches about free speech, then gets upset when people express it?

ConservagameR said:

I don't use twitter anymore, I find it's purpose to be redundant these days.

Machiavellian said:

I am a software engineer and I ask you why would any engineer go to work for Twitter when you will be working 80 hrs weeks for no compensation.  Even if he offered it, what incentive would any good software engineer go to twitter when so far it looks like a dumpster fire where you really do not know if your job is secure. 

Any company/owner/manager who forces employees to work 80 hours without compensation is a crap working environment.

Never work for free, especially when your boss can dump 10's of billions of dollars on something, they can afford to pay that compensation.

Consequently, having Twitter on your resume as a project/company you work for is probably not the best thing either to other employers.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Jumpin said:
ConservagameR said:

You’re conflating R&D strategies with the mismanagement of an established live service.

Elon Musk has become Mr. Fishoder from Bob’s Burgers. A living parody of once successful business owners who have driven their heads so far up their own asses that they can’t distinguish solid R&D processes from the whimsical implementation of any shitty thought that pops into their head. 

Save the brain dead slogans from motivational pamphlets… unless you’re a keynote speaker at an Avon or NFT recruitment party… or an actor in a dystopian play inspired by Brave New World.

He just took over like a week or two ago. You expect him to have built it into a well oiled cash cow by now? And here I thought Elon was unrealistic.

They aren't made up pamphlet slogans. He said them himself. That's why they say - Elon Musk.

Jumpin said:
ConservagameR said:

With pictures being worth 1000 words, I'd say it's more like a bunch of paragraphs.

That’s the same excuse my three year old daughter gives me when she wants to describe pictures instead of reading.

That's exactly what I thought when I read the response to me prior to that, which is why I then responded in kind. Seems like you agree. Glad we're on the same page.