By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Has A Delay Problem

When I think of a developer that often delays games, Nintendo developers are not the developers that I think of.

The biggest delayers of all time would be Square Enix, but also Polyphony in 2nd due to GT5.

Though I must say TLOZ devs are definitely attaining that reputation due to BOTW and BOTW2.

Around the Network

Nintendo will have a delay problem when they delay my precious Xenoblade 3.

Also, Zelda games getting delays are so expected nowadays. They did the same thing for Skyward Sword and Breath of the Wild.(Don't forget Ocarina of Time!) We were complaining about those delays back then too. Other series have no problem getting released in time. So it seems more of a Zelda issue.

The only Home Console Zelda games not delayed were the 2D ones, Wind Waker (Which was extremely rushed) and Twilight Princess (Which was rushed out to meet the Wii Launch Date).

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Like they say:

What ten programmers can do in ten hours, twenty programmers will do in twenty hours.

killeryoshis said:

Nintendo will have a delay problem when they delay my precious Xenoblade 3.

Also, Zelda games getting delays are so expected nowadays. They did the same thing for Skyward Sword and Breath of the Wild.(Don't forget Ocarina of Time!) We were complaining about those delays back then too. Other series have no problem getting released in time. So it seems more of a Zelda issue.

The only Home Console Zelda games not delayed were the 2D ones, Wind Waker (Which was extremely rushed) and Twilight Princess (Which was rushed out to meet the Wii Launch Date).

I'm fairly certain TP was announced for 2005, but delayed to be a crossover title? I might recall incorrectly though.

OT: Regarding the botw sequel delay, I'm pretty sure it's all about timing. 2022's got plenty of upcoming games so they'd rather not saturate the release schedule.

Outside of Sakurai Nintendo does not seem to have a crunch problem. The man has always worked ridiculous hours since he started work on Melee and I don't know why Nintendo doesn't do something about it. Nintendo intervened in Retro Studios after the release of Prime 1 to end the problem of employee crunch.

Nintendo as a whole has gone back and forth on delays being an issue. The n64 was delayed until late 1996, long after the competition launched, and Nintendo didn't have many games for it for a long time. The Gamecube had a problem of big Nintendo games being released before they were done like Wind Waker and Mario Sunshine. Even Melee was technically released early with a lot of content cut, but that worked out for the best. The Gamecube was failing and Nintendo needed to get its games out quickly even if they weren't complete. The only really big game to get delayed was Twilight Princess. With the Wii Nintendo finally seemed to be taking the time to complete their games again, with Prime 3, Brawl, Skyward Sword all getting delays. The Wii's success gave them more breathing room. With the jump to HD for the Wii U development took longer and it was a year before the system started getting the games it needed, Tropical Freeze was delayed from 2013 to 2014, and I think Mario Kart 8 was also delayed but I'm not sure about that. It seems that Nintendo realized there was no saving the Wii U and so they made the smart decision to take their time to maintain their brand image of quality games rather than rush games out the door, and to release a number of smaller games to fill the gaps like NES Remix and Captain Toad. With Splatoon they struck upon a model of releasing online-focused games in a not-quite complete state but adding free updates to maintain interest, so we see that in games like Mario Tennis and Animal Crossing. But otherwise they seem to release their games in a completed state on the Switch. In general they like to announce games close to release and have done so since 2010, but when they announce games farther out delays are likely.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:
theRepublic said:

I feel like it is very common for most big games to see at least one delay. Seems more like an industry wide issue than just Nintendo.

Nintendo has become much better during the Switch era than they have been in the past. This issue is mostly about BotW2 being announced way too early - and that both increases the chance of it being delayed and also makes that delay much more annoying. But, thanks to tightened announcement schedules to a few months before release during the Switch era, most games are announced with a very reasonable window and released on time.

Personally speaking, I don’t pay enough attention to third party release schedules to notice. The vast majority of third party games I don’t even find out about until I see them announced in the weekly release lists on the Switch Game News Channel.

The reason this one is such a big deal is because Nintendo is the highest profile publisher, and Zelda is Nintendo’s highest profile franchise on the Switch. More people care about this one than any of the others.

Yeah, pretty much agree.  Didn't mean to imply I thought Nintendo had a problem with delays.  Just trying to point out that it seemed odd the thread was calling out Nintendo specifically.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

I get the Zelda delay but I don't get the delay of advanced wars since we have wars all the time and that never delayed war games >_>

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(