By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts February 2022 Discussion Thread

I think the comparison Wii-vs-PS3 in Europe is very interesting

Month 60:
Wii 29.5 million
PS3 25 million

End of Life (~Month 100)
PS3 35 Million (+10 Million from month 61 onwards)
Wii 33.9 Million (+4.4 Million from month 61 onwards)

Switch of course will surpass both.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:

Share the article here

Switch vs Wii Sales Comparison in the US - February 2022

This monthly series compares the aligned US sales of the Nintendo Switch and the Nintendo Wii.

The Wii launched in November 2006, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

Switch Vs. Wii US:

Gap change in latest month: 110,725 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 1,410,652 - Switch

Total Lead: 1,394,814 - Wii

Switch Total Sales: 35,034,412

Wii Total Sales: 36,429,226

February 2022 is the 60th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in the US. During the latest month, the Switch has shrunk the gap with the Wii when you align the launches by 110,725 units. In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the Wii by 1.41 million units. The Wii is currently ahead of the Switch by 1.39 million units.

The 60th month for the Nintendo Switch is February 2022 and for the Wii it is October 2011. The Switch has sold 35.03 million units, while the Wii sold 36.43 million units during the same timeframe. The Wii sold current Switch sales in month 54.

The Wii sold 41.70 million units in the US during its lifetime. The Switch needs to sell another 6.67 million units to outsell the Wii.

Do you have a regular chart for Switch vs. XBox360 in the US?  I can't recall if you do or not.  I just thought of this looking at this Switch vs. Wii in the US, because XBox360 did a little better than the Wii did.

Switch vs Wii in US/Europe and PS3 in EU comes down to legs; Wii had short ones, PS3 had long ones.
A lot will depend on how long Nintendo sticks with the Switch.

Lol Switch in Japan you can’t even see the difference between holidays and regular weeks. The skyrocketing to end all skyrocketings.

curl-6 said:

Nice to see Xbox Series continue to lead its predecessor in spite of shortages.

I always wonder what is the real impact of shortages over sales. We know there are shortages, but how much do they impact sales? I would say it impacts PS5 much more, but I have no evidence on it, only empirical.

Like, how many people are willing to and have the money to buy a PS5 this month but could not do it because they could not find a console? 10k? 100k?

And for Series X/S how much would it be.

But also and more importantly, how many people are buying Series X/S instead of a PS5 because they cannot find one to sell?

I have both PS5 and Series X and I can tell you for certain that find the PS5 was MUCH harder. 

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:

Lol Switch in Japan you can’t even see the difference between holidays and regular weeks. The skyrocketing to end all skyrocketings.

LOL, yeah.  Well, you could tell the difference for the first couple of years, but then it kind of became a mostly straight line sloping steeply upwards.

I really like this Switch vs. XBox360 comparison chart, especially if you consider the Switch vs. Wii in the US comparison.  The latter chart makes it look like the Switch has a lot of catching up to do, while the former chart makes it looks like Switch is certain to win.  Ironically the XBox360 outsold the Wii in the US.  It's just that the Wii's heavy sales period was early while the XBox360's heavy sales period was later.

I do think the Switch has to win the comparison with the XBox360 though, because it's still pulling ahead even though this month XBox360 would be in a holiday period.  Switch momentum is still so solid that it can easily get that 10m+ it needs to surpass the XBox360 for good.

This is a very interesting chart. On the one hand, the DS was a massive seller. On the other hand it's clear that the Switch is now gaining ground. I do think the Switch will win in the end but that is mostly because I think it will stay relevant for longer.

The Xbox 360 had insane legs, so I don't think it's a foregone conclusion Switch will win in the US, but if Nintendo are smart and give it a long lifespan before replacement, it should come out on top.