By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - February NPD 2022 Thread

RolStoppable said:

Back to normal this month. Plus the confirmation that there's no reason to expect Sony to outperform their global 2.0m forecast in shipped PS5 units for the quarter. By the looks of it, in February Japan was the only country with decent PS5 supply.

Sony might even miss its 2 million forecast for the quarter. I adjusted the rest of Europe to have a similar drop YoY to UK and Spain, as well adjusted US, Canada, and Latin America. 

We now have PS5 estimates at 1.07M in 2022 with one month (5 weeks) to go. Sony will need to significantly increase stock in March to have any chance.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

That's a damn shame how bad the shortages have been. It would've been awesome to see how many consoles could have been sold if all 3 manufacturers were able to keep up with the demand.

PotentHerbs said:

I would wait for Sony's FY22 projections before getting worried about PS5 sales.

OT: God of War is doing exceptionally well for a late PC port. The PC version makes 25+ Million lifetime a lock and puts 30+ Million lifetime on the table. With the Series S being lower priced and having more availability, combined with Switch, PS5, Series X shortages, I'm surprised Microsoft has not won a single NPD yet. 

Having a strong lineup of games means nothing for Sony right now as they are shipping all the PS5s they possibly can and they continue to sell out right away. Switch is the easiest console to produce, so it makes sense it has the most stock. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

gtotheunit91 said:

That's a damn shame how bad the shortages have been. It would've been awesome to see how many consoles could have been sold if all 3 manufacturers were able to keep up with the demand.

Sales would be much higher. Especially for PS5 with its strong 2022 lineup.

trunkswd said:
RolStoppable said:

Back to normal this month. Plus the confirmation that there's no reason to expect Sony to outperform their global 2.0m forecast in shipped PS5 units for the quarter. By the looks of it, in February Japan was the only country with decent PS5 supply.

Sony might even miss its 2 million forecast for the quarter. I adjusted the rest of Europe to have a similar drop YoY to UK and Spain, as well adjusted US, Canada, and Latin America. 

We now have PS5 estimates at 1.07M in 2022 with one month (5 weeks) to go. Sony will need to significantly increase stock in March to have any chance.

Hm... I don't know about that. There are far too few countries where we get bits of official data from and it's always a bit risky to adjust the whole of Europe based on sales in only one or two countries.

Regardless, it wouldn't be unexpected to see the PS5 have more available stock in March, so 2m remain realistic even in the face of VGC's current low end estimates.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
trunkswd said:

Hm... I don't know about that. There are far too few countries where we get bits of official data from and it's always a bit risky to adjust the whole of Europe based on sales in only one or two countries.

Regardless, it wouldn't be unexpected to see the PS5 have more available stock in March, so 2m remain realistic even in the face of VGC's current low end estimates.

UK and Spain are down about 70% YoY for PS5. We now have Europe down 60%. So not quite as much. I do hope stock improves in March. 

I remember last year March had plenty of PS5 stock so I expect the same for this year but will it be enough to hit their forecast will be interesting.

I'm shocked there's no Sony is doomed thread yet (aside of the Patcher one).

But stock has been pretty bad here in Australia for the PS5, only one batch in the entire year at EB Games, whilst Series X has had like 2-3 with them and Series S is available everywhere.

Don't know the plans for FY22, but if numbers remain low, they will lost a big opportunity.

Jeez it just keeps getting worse for the PS5 lately. Hopefully by the 2nd half of the year things are looking decent again.

kazuyamishima said:

I'm shocked there's no Sony is doomed thread yet (aside of the Patcher one).

Cause the PS5 isn't doomed. Its not even selling that poorly and the shortage is limiting it even further.