By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Russia and Ukraine flashpoint

FarleyMcFirefly said:
RolStoppable said:

Hopefully you'll grow as a person someday and don't remain like this for the rest of your life.

One place where I need to grow is to learn not to care so much about what other people think. But this comment really bothered me. I knew I'd get steam rolled in this thread, because this site seems to have mostly left-leaning opinions.

Don't remain like what though? I am sorry (not sorry) that I don't automatically adhere to the approved narratives. I like to question everything. Can you say with 100% certainty that there is NO money laundering happening through the billions given to Ukraine? Can you say with 100% certainty that there are no bio-labs conducting gain of function research? Can you say with 100% certainty that there is no human trafficking going on in Ukraine? Is it really that simple as good guys vs bad guys? 

Good to know it's a left leaning opinion to be against genocide and unlawful invasions of other countries.

Can you say with 100% certainty that there is NO money laundering happening through the billions given to Ukraine?

There is a small amount of fraud happening and if you actually followed any of this, you'd also see that Ukraine has been addressing these cases and holding those responsible for being involved, usually through firings of their positions, every single country in the world has corruption issues, don't be naïve, the important thing is that the countries are trying to address them though and improve, which Ukraine has made huge strides in over the past few years.

You seriously believe if it was a major problem, that the dozens upon dozens of countries sending Ukraine aid wouldn't notice? Lol.

Can you say with 100% certainty that there are no bio-labs conducting gain of function research?

Are you for real? Please tell me this is a joke, straight up using the Russian propaganda of biolabs designed to destroy Russians, LMFAO.

Can you say with 100% certainty that there is no human trafficking going on in Ukraine?

Uhh...Relevance? There's human trafficking in every country in the world?

Must be okay for UK to invade Canada and slaughter hundreds of thousands of Canadians because there's some human trafficking.

Is it really that simple as good guys vs bad guys? 

Yes.

Hilarious that you showed your true colours this quickly, so much for "I pray for peace" but it was obvious with your "both sides" comment beforehand anyway. I'm pretty convinced that people like yourself only hide behind the "lets just have peace guys, both sides have to compromise" as code for "just let Russia take Ukraine and slaughter every Ukrainian"

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 09 February 2024

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:
FarleyMcFirefly said:

One place where I need to grow is to learn not to care so much about what other people think. But this comment really bothered me. I knew I'd get steam rolled in this thread, because this site seems to have mostly left-leaning opinions.

Don't remain like what though? I am sorry (not sorry) that I don't automatically adhere to the approved narratives. I like to question everything. Can you say with 100% certainty that there is NO money laundering happening through the billions given to Ukraine? Can you say with 100% certainty that there are no bio-labs conducting gain of function research? Can you say with 100% certainty that there is no human trafficking going on in Ukraine? Is it really that simple as good guys vs bad guys? 

Good to know it's a left leaning opinion to be against genocide and unlawful invasions of other countries.

Can you say with 100% certainty that there is NO money laundering happening through the billions given to Ukraine?

There is a small amount of fraud happening and if you actually followed any of this, you'd also see that Ukraine has been addressing these cases and holding those responsible for being involved, usually through firings of their positions, every single country in the world has corruption issues, don't be naïve, the important thing is that the countries are trying to address them though and improve, which Ukraine has made huge strides in over the past few years.

You seriously believe if it was a major problem, that the dozens upon dozens of countries sending Ukraine aid wouldn't notice? Lol.

Can you say with 100% certainty that there are no bio-labs conducting gain of function research?

Are you for real? Please tell me this is a joke, straight up using the Russian propaganda of biolabs designed to destroy Russians, LMFAO.

Can you say with 100% certainty that there is no human trafficking going on in Ukraine?

Must be okay for UK to invade Canada and slaughter hundreds of thousands of Canadians because there's some human trafficking.

Yes.

Hilarious that you showed your true colours this quickly, so much for "I pray for peace" but it was obvious with your "both sides" comment beforehand anyway. I'm pretty convinced that people like yourself only hide behind the "lets just have peace guys, both sides have to compromise" as code for "just let Russia take Ukraine and slaughter every Ukrainian"

Bad things are bad. I can tell this site is left leaning because of how everybody keeps putting words in my mouth. How there were comments about Tucker being a fascist and a white supremacist (based on what exactly;also those terms are so worn out they have lost all meaning). There is evil in this world. Conspiracies happen. Labeling them all as theories is just a cheap write off. I am open to questions. 

I showed my true colours? What do you mean? I want this war to end. If it means both sides compromise on something to put an end to the killing of innocents, and before it escalates into a global conflict.

Again what true colours? You are heavily implying that I am okay with genocide, which is another far leftist tactic. 

1doesnotsimply

FarleyMcFirefly said:

I can say for certain that an invasion that has resulted in 1000's of deaths is not the way to solve a single issue on your list. 

Besides that, your standard of proof is completely backwards. I could be 99% certain that there is human trafficking going on in Ukraine, that is still not high enough.

FarleyMcFirefly said:

What really bothers me is the implication that being against genocide/war is specifically a left leaning opinion...

FarleyMcFirefly said:

I am sorry (not sorry) that I don't automatically adhere to the approved narratives. 

This has nothing to do with some kind of approved narrative. Left-wingers frequently go against the approved narrative. The Israel/Palestine conflict, left-wingers are relatively consistently opposed to the narrative that much of the media, the president and most senators are pushing.

Some dude claimed to own the land my house was on, obviously that wasn't the case, but still, he broke into my home, slaughtered half my family, took up residence in one half of my house, obviously this was a failure of leadership on all sides, mine included, and my neighbours are telling me to just make peace with the fella, so I think I'll let him have that half of my house.

Also, don't get me started on the ethnic bioweapon 🤣🤣🤣

FarleyMcFirefly said:
Ryuu96 said:

Yes.

Bad things are bad. I can tell this site is left leaning because of how everybody keeps putting words in my mouth. How there were comments about Tucker being a fascist and a white supremacist (based on what exactly;also those terms are so worn out they have lost all meaning). There is evil in this world. Conspiracies happen. Labeling them all as theories is just a cheap write off. I am open to questions. 

I showed my true colours? What do you mean? I want this war to end. If it means both sides compromise on something to put an end to the killing of innocents, and before it escalates into a global conflict.

Again what true colours? You are heavily implying that I am okay with genocide, which is another far leftist tactic. 

Why exactly should Ukraine compromise? They’ve been invaded with a significant chunk of their territory occupied, with frequent Russian bombardments and other atrocities. And what exactly do you anticipate Russia relenting on in this scenario? Prove me wrong but the scenarios I usually see present on the back of these notions are really appeasement, with Russia gaining things compared to the start of the war as opposed to compromising.

Also remember this is the third time Russia has attacked Ukraine in the last decade, and they renegaded on the last agreement. Why do you believe they would honour one this time? More likely they would re-arm to go again at the next opportunity.

The conflict does not look to be in any pressing danger at present of escalating to a global conflict. The fear of that is why neither the US or any European country has sent troops to fight, as that would certainly cause it to spiral. And despite their bravado, Russia has not made attempts to attack Ukraine’s allies either. So at present the risk of a global conflict, whilst not insignificant, is not a major one.

Around the Network
FarleyMcFirefly said:

Bad things are bad. I can tell this site is left leaning because of how everybody keeps putting words in my mouth.

What words are people putting in your mouth? 

FarleyMcFirefly said:

How there were comments about Tucker being a fascist and a white supremacist (based on what exactly;also those terms are so worn out they have lost all meaning).

No, these words have meanings. 

Tucker Carlson is a white supremacist because of his words and actions. He's frequently spreading conspiracy theories about how white people are getting replaced. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Replacement

FarleyMcFirefly said:

Labeling them all as theories is just a cheap write off. I am open to questions. 

Things are conspiracy theories when they're being pushed with no evidence or even evidence to the contrary.

We have fact based discussions about whether these things are actually happening. But if you choose to believe in them, despite evidence to the contrary, then yes you're a conspiracy theorist.  

You need to have evidence.

Not having evidence of something is also not evidence. 

I have no evidence that you're a bully, but I also am not 100% certain that you're not. Would it be fair of me to believe that you are a bully, because I have no evidence that you're not? Of course not.  

FarleyMcFirefly said:

Because even generously, you either have twisted priorities, or you're misinformed. 

FarleyMcFirefly said:
RolStoppable said:

Hopefully you'll grow as a person someday and don't remain like this for the rest of your life.

I'll just mention that here in Finland, support for Ukraine is widely agreed from the left to the populist right. The exceptions are, as far as I know, pretty much - if not completely - outside the parliament, because the importance of Ukraine for our own safety, as well as for the safety of Europe in general, is recognized. For us, Russia getting through with its goals in Ukraine poses an existential risk, which we simply cannot entertain. I guess we could also just bend over and kneel before the mighty Tsar, because that'll save lives, but curiously, that's not exactly a popular opinion here (in fact, I've never even heard anyone you can take even remotely seriously suggest that). I guess it can look quite different the farther you are, especially if there's a whole ocean between you and Russia, and some parties find ways to utilize that leeway they can get because there's no imminent threat against you in at least decades, possibly not ever. It's easy to gain popular support when you don't have to be responsible for the long-term consequences.

Last edited by Zkuq - on 09 February 2024

FarleyMcFirefly said:
Ryuu96 said:

-Snip-

"I knew I'd get steam rolled in this thread, because this site seems to have mostly left-leaning opinions."

This thread which is largely about supporting Ukraine in their defence against an aggressor set on committing genocide on them and you for some reason believed you'd be steamrolled in the thread because of our left leaning opinions....What exactly are the left leaning opinions in this thread? Or did you just throw that out as a random attempted dig?

Yeah, Tucker is a white supremacist and defending him doesn't help you hide your true colours either.

People tend to write off things as conspiracy theories when they both have no evidence and also don't even make any biological, scientific or any other sense, which are both descriptors of the Russian biolab conspiracy theories which even Russia themselves have dropped. Next you're going to ask us if we can be 100% sure that Ukraine isn't using birds to kill Russians (another gem of a conspiracy theory Russian mentioned).

You want this war to end, I have no doubt about that, but are you that naïve that you believe surrendering would mean peace for Ukraine? Are you that naïve that you will take Russia for its word that it won't invade again later? After they've already broken a promise to Ukraine before, in writing, to provide them with security guarantees. You can't be that naïve that you'd take Russia for anything it says or signs now.

The only way to guarantee a post-war Ukraine is safe, is either NATO and/or the complete defeat of Russia on the battlefield and restoration of Ukraine. Negotiating with a fascist dictator after he has already broken a promise in writing, invaded your country once in 2014 and then did a full scale invasion in 2022? Here's how that will go...

Russia Invades Crimea
Oh well, it's only Crimea, lets have peace and negotiate.

Russia Invades More of Ukraine (Taking Donbas, Luhansk, Zaporizhzhia and Kherson)
Oh well, it's only 4 extra regions, lets have peace and negotiate.

Russia Restores Their Army, Invades Again (Taking Kharkiv, Sumy, Mykolaiv and Odessa)
Oh well, it's only 4 extra regions, lets have peace and negotiate.

And the cycle will continue, oh and lets not forget, Russia still publicly to this date says that their goals haven't changed and they want Kyiv/Whole of Ukraine, they in particular mention wanting Odessa a lot too so that they can cut Ukraine off from the Black Sea. Are you that naïve? Really? Because a lot of people who say this, I can't help but wonder if they really are this naïve, or if they simply either want Ukraine to lose or do not care.

And to the last point. UKRAINE DOES NOT WANT TO SURRENDER. 

Who can blame them? Russia came into their country, destroyed their lives, turned their lives into nothing but fear, anger and sadness. Russia has killed hundreds of thousands of Ukrainians. Publicly trashed their culture, their country. Stolen thousands of Ukrainian children from Ukraine. Routinely bombs their cities, their infrastructure, in an attempt to freeze them to death. Doesn't hide that they want to kill all Ukrainians, very publicly says it. Stolen large swathes of their land. They've killed men, women and children without a care in the world.

Thousands of Ukrainians have fought for literally everything, their lives, their culture, their country, their people, their freedom and you're telling them "ah just stop, Russia can have what it took" meaning all those soldiers died for nothing? Their parents lost their children for nothing? How can you say that to any Ukrainian mother who has lost all her children defending their country.

Until Ukrainians wants to surrender, everyone else should STFU quite frankly.

Would you honestly tell that of Canada? If Russia invaded Canada and murdered hundreds of thousands of Canadians, stole 15% of your land, would you say "lets just have peace and compromise with them" cause I sure as shit wouldn't if it was a country in UK, I would want UK to fight until every single Russian soldier is kicked into the Atlantic Ocean.

Finally. They won't be a global war unless Russia attacks a NATO member and if they attack a NATO member then that's their decision and they only have themselves to blame and if Russia did attack a NATO member then I would want UK to come straight to their defence because that would be the right thing to do.

Zkuq said:
FarleyMcFirefly said:

I'll just mention that here in Finland, support for Ukraine is widely agreed from the left to the populist right. The exceptions are, as far as I know, pretty much - if not completely - outside the parliament, because the importance of Ukraine for our own safety, as well as for the safety of Europe in general, is recognized. For us, Russia getting through with its goals in Ukraine poses an existential risk, which we simply cannot entertain. I guess we could also just bend over and kneel before the might Tsar, because that'll save lives, but curiously, that's not exactly a popular opinion here (in fact, I've never even heard anyone you can take even remotely seriously suggest that). I guess it can look quite different the farther you are, especially if there's a whole ocean between you and Russia, and some parties find ways to utilize that leeway they can get because there's no imminent threat against you in at least decades, possibly not ever. It's easy to gain popular support when you don't have to be responsible for the long-term consequences.

Here in UK, Tories and Labour are pretty much only united in their support of Ukraine, which shocked me about Tories at first considering their Russian donors, Lol. Only politician really that I've seen say dumb shit about Ukraine is Corbyn and I was once a big fan of his. So in the UK, support for Ukraine is largely across both the right wing and left wing and there's no mainstream party which leans towards Russia.

But UK and Russia do seem to have a special hatred towards each other, Lol and it helps that UK is more economically isolated from Russia, like, we really didn't have much need economically to pursue a relationship with Russia. Then when you add on Russia constantly threatening us (for some fucking reason), then having the gall to brazenly assassinate multiple people on UK soil with radioactive material and nerve agents.

Safe to say from my experience at least, many Brits hate Russia.

Republicans have gone so far off in the deep-end though.

I agree with you. Some people are so sheltered in the West. It's so easy for some in Western Europe/Americas to say certain things because they don't know what it feels like, or they've forgotten what it feels like, they have no immediate threat towards them, in order for there to be one, there's multiple countries between them that would have to fall first.

It's so easy for someone in Canada, America, UK, France, Germany, etc, to tell Ukraine to surrender.

They don't understand how Ukrainians feel at all, they don't understand the situation Ukraine is in, they don't understand how eastern Europe feels because they in the West aren't in danger, at all, they don't understand the privileged position that they're in to say these things. It's also why it frustrates me when I see countries in eastern Europe doing more than those in the West on a % basis.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 09 February 2024