By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Russia and Ukraine flashpoint

WASHINGTON—The U.S. is close to approving a long-range missile system for Ukraine, American and European officials said, as Russia grapples with unrest in its military leadership and uncertainty on the battlefield.

The Army Tactical Missile System, or ATACMS, has a range of about 190 miles, enough for Ukrainian forces to strike Russian targets far behind the front lines. President Biden hasn't signed off on the transfer, in part out of concern among U.S. officials that Ukraine could use it to strike Russian territory and escalate the conflict into a wider war with the West.

Officials said that the matter is pending approval at the highest levels. But officials in the U.S. and Europe have seen signs that previously reluctant quarters of the U.S. government, namely the White House, have come to see an urgent need to bolster Ukraine's fight in the coming weeks.

But amid the domestic turmoil in Russia, where over the weekend the founder of the Wagner mercenary force staged an abortive mutiny, U.S. and European officials acknowledged that now might be the time to step on the gas.

A senior Ukrainian defense official told The Wall Street Journal that Kyiv had received positive signs in recent weeks that the U.S. had come around on the ATACMS system. Ukrainian officials have argued that the long-range missiles are needed, in part, to strike into Crimea, the peninsula occupied by Russia that Russian forces are using as a base to launch Iranian-made drones, according to public statements by the U.S. and its European allies.

The White House national security council and the Pentagon didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.

U.S. Considers ATACMS Long-Range Missiles to Bolster Ukraine’s Fight - WSJ

Around the Network

Germany's minister of defense Pistorius was in USA also to talk about further support for Ukraine. Let's hope their result will be also about "we send long range missiles" like when they agreed to send Leopards and Abrams. Like Ryuu said, Storm Shadow alone won't be enough as  long range weapons because UK obviously doesn't have that many of them. 

crissindahouse said:

Germany's minister of defense Pistorius was in USA also to talk about further support for Ukraine. Let's hope their result will be also about "we send long range missiles" like when they agreed to send Leopards and Abrams. Like Ryuu said, Storm Shadow alone won't be enough as  long range weapons because UK obviously doesn't have that many of them. 

And some Tpz Fuchs APCs to go with the Strykers and Bradleys that the US just announced while they're at it. Germany has over 900 of them but only 600 in active service and it's getting replaced by the GTK Boxer, so no need to have that many in storage anymore.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 29 June 2023

Wonder when we'll see the first Challenger 2's and Stryker's on the battlefield.

Assume Stryker's are being saved for the main thrust.

Uhh, they blamed it on Storm Shadow? Was that before or after Russian State Media bragged about killing children because it was a "military" target?

Around the Network

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Ryuu96 said:

I think Hungary needs to become part of Austria once more at this point after that remark.

Are we gonna have to kill Russians, Austrians AND Hungarians? -_-

Ryuu96 said:

This is why I don't weap for dead Russians.

CaptainExplosion said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

I think Hungary needs to become part of Austria once more at this point after that remark.

Looks like it. Let's add Serbia to the list.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

CaptainExplosion said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Dude! For the love of God!

Take like 1 minute to calm down and actually think to yourself before making a post and think deeply "is this a good thing to say?"

RolStoppable is f*cking Austrian.

You can take issue with how some countries are conducting themselves, you can insult their government, you can demand some sort of consequences for their actions without having to jump to violence all the dang time. STOP DOING THAT.

NO WE DON'T NEED TO KILL A CERTAIN GROUP OF PEOPLE BECAUSE THEY'RE LED BY DICKHEADS

I really don't want to thread ban someone who is cheering on Ukraine's fight for survival but you're really really pushing your luck.