By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Russia and Ukraine flashpoint

KratosLives said:

Can someone tell me what's the point of all those sanctions targeting people who have nothing to do with putin.

If you are asking that I think you need a reality check. Ukraine right now is fighting for the whole of Eastern Europe, at the least, and every action and every sanction no matter how big or small, counts.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Around the Network

m0ney said:
KratosLives said:

Can someone tell me what's the point of all those sanctions targeting people who have nothing to do with putin.

If you are asking that I think you need a reality check. Ukraine right now is fighting for the whole of Eastern Europe, at the least, and every action and every sanction no matter how big or small, counts.

You'd need to understand how Putin keeps the power to himself.

When the USSR faltered into nations, local party "headhonchos" simply took over the local industry: "It is mine now". What we call Oligarchs now, was the local Party headhoncho. There is a long list of dead and disappeared journalists that questioned those people..

These Oligarchs are in bed with Putin. They not only got to keep the stuff they essentially stole, they also get all the "stuff to do" things from Putin's desk. So if Putin goes down, the Oligarchs go down as well. And none of those Oligarchs want to miss those billions..

On another front, I am puzzled by the pictures and videos I see from the war. None of the Russian tanks carry any additional fuel tanks (which basically was miltary doctrine while I was in the military). Hence all those pictures of mostly undamaged tanks and trucks at the side of roads. This lets me believe many of the Russian soldiers have no idea what they were going into when they started up their engines. This is further corrobated by soldiers taken prisoners and other than "We thought this was only an excercise. We want to go home" there is not more to hear from them.

This would explain the poor progress the Russian have made. Their soldiers simply went into a war unprepared, and uninformed, undequipped.There is also a video of soldiers looting Ukranian food stores which might also hint at no consistent Russian plans for resupplying the troops.

If the Ukrainians can hold out for a week or two more, things will look bleak for the Russians (and god knows what Putin will do then (probably lashing out at anyone, anywhere).

Ryuu96 said:

I've been following this very closely over the past weeks, Vladimir Hitler is an absolute monster, fuck Putin, fuck anyone who downplays Russian aggression, especially fuck anyone who outright supports it, fuck monsters like Tucker Carlson and Tulsi Gabbard jumping in defence of Russia or Trump calling Putin a genius and suggesting they should do the same to Mexico, this is fucking disgusting, it has so many parallels to Nazi Germany, a sovereign country is being brutally invaded for the crime of just daring to exist, Putin has gone absolutely insane.

And don't be an idiot, this has nothing to do with Biden's ability to speak, I have my criticisms of Biden outside of this but Biden has done a brilliant job at bringing the West together so far against Russian aggression, we tried diplomacy but you can't do diplomacy with a mad man, Russia already attacked Ukraine years ago and this is a culmination of years of build up, I'm sorry to any Russian citizens who are against Putin's bullshit but we have to respond with aggressive sanctions and cut Russia off from the rest of the world, even if it hurts us.

And the Mod team stands with Ukraine so take that into account before saying dumb shit.

FWIW: Ukraine Humanitarian Relief/Support Efforts Thread | ResetEra

Well, I'm not a Russian citizen, but this post comes off as a very underhanded way to curve free speech.

Thanks for letting me know this community is acting up like a branch of a state propaganda; whether intentional or not.

I'll be leaving now. It's the only way I can vote my disapproval.

DraconianAC said:

Well, I'm not a Russian citizen, but this post comes off as a very underhanded way to curve free speech.

Thanks for letting me know this community is acting up like a branch of a state propaganda; whether intentional or not.

You feel your right to free speech is compromised if you can't use a private forum to defend or spread the propaganda of a regime that actively forbids free speech and human rights? While commiting war crimes and banning their citizens from information and free press. Ok.

Around the Network

Good luck and by that I mean hopefully you don't end up living in a country where saying 'no war' will get you beaten up or worse.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

It seems like Belarus is about to join the invasion. All sanctions on Russia should immediately extended to them - from sporting bans to the exclusion from Swift.

Russia just raised its nuclear alert level.

It looks like Ukraine has agreed to meet with Russia at a location on the Ukraine-Belarus border, and Belarus is holding a constitutional referendum to expand Lukashenko’s powers, which means greater cooperation with Russia.

SanAndreasX said:

It looks like Ukraine has agreed to meet with Russia at a location on the Ukraine-Belarus border, and Belarus is holding a constitutional referendum to expand Lukashenko’s powers, which means greater cooperation with Russia.

Russia’s terms are likely to be Ukraine permanently and legally obliges to never join NATO (and possibly the EU) as well as recognising Russian sovereignty over Crimea and the independence of Donbas.

I can’t see Ukraine agreeing, especially to the latter.