5 0 0%

4 1 1.96%

3 0 0%

2 0 0%

1 0 0%

Total:51
SKMBlake said:

Holy cow, 10 exclusives within a year ?

And this direct only goes until September, it's like 2017 all over again, that's basically a console launch lineup

And almost all of it was winter and spring, only a few landed in the summer.

The big bits for me were

1. Switch Sports - I'm actually thinking this is not the most opportune time for the game. It feels both too late (should have launched with Breath of the Wild) and too early as it would have been a great launch game for Switch 2. We'll see. It also kind of sucks that it's coming out during Coronavirus - seems a Switch Fit game would have been better. Better a bad time than never. I'm still super excited, I'm getting it.

2. Tons of RPGs - Some really good catalogue releases from Square: Front Mission, Radical Dreamers, and Live A Live. Earthbound on Switch is great! But I'm literally playing it right now on the classic mini I'm glad they have the original on here as well.

3. 48 new Mario Kart tracks for free! (to those of us with the expansion pass). This is going to be great!

4.  Xenoblade 3 - my guess is this isn't their next big XCX/BOTW scale game, not the game they've been dedicated the majority of their resources toward. The premise isn't all that compelling, they have a problem with a sword through the world.... OK?
One interesting thing. But not really much else interesting about this game.

I think their true next big game is probably coming out for Nintendo Switch 2. This looks more like a more medium scaled game like Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Monolith Soft is at their best when they do large scale sci-fi games with complex themes and characters. What I'd love to see is a game that even outdoes XCX. If they can negotiate the Xenogears license from Square, all the better. Monolith Soft was created to one day make a sequel to Xenogears.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:
SKMBlake said:

Holy cow, 10 exclusives within a year ?

And this direct only goes until September, it's like 2017 all over again, that's basically a console launch lineup

They didn't announce anything for winter. Most games were announced for spring and summer.

Just noticed, there are two games in March, Triangle Strategy and Kirby, two games in April, Advance Wars and Switch Sports, two games in June, Mario Strikers and FE Warriors and one game in July, Live A Live. My guess is that Splatoon 3 will be either in July or August. Mario + Rabbids might also be in August. Then Bayonetta 3 could be in September with XC3 or in October and BotW2 in November.
I think we'll get another big game for this year announced in the next direct.

Kakadu18 said:

Just noticed, there are two games in March, Triangle Strategy and Kirby, two games in April, Advance Wars and Switch Sports, two games in June, Mario Strikers and FE Warriors and one game in July, Live A Live. My guess is that Splatoon 3 will be either in July or August. Mario + Rabbids might also be in August. Then Bayonetta 3 could be in September with XC3 or in October and BotW2 in November.
I think we'll get another big game for this year announced in the next direct.

I'll take that rumored Donkey Kong game that the Mario Odyssey team is supposedly working on :) or the rumored Metroid Prime Remake! 

Kakadu18 said:
Jumpin said:

They didn't announce anything for winter. Most games were announced for spring and summer.

They didn't? I could have sworn they talked stuff for today, later in February, and March.

Either way, doesn't really make a difference, since it's more about what they haven't talked about later in the year.

Around the Network

I decided to do a table for a comparison to what many believe are Switch's best years, software wise, based on what Nintendo themselves are publishing. I am excluding where they only took over publishing in select regions. 

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the WildFitness BoxingPokemon Legends: Arceus
1, 2, SwitchNew Super Mario Bros U DeluxeKirby and the Forgotten Land
SnipperclipsYoshi's Crafted WorldMario Kart 8: Deluxe Additional Content
Mario Kart 8: DeluxeNintendo Labo VRAdvance Wars 1 + 2: Boot Camp
ArmsSuper Mario Maker 2Nintendo Switch Sports
Splatoon 2Marvels Ultimate Alliance 3Mario Strikers Battle League
Pokken Tournament DXFire Emblem Three HousesFire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes
Fire Emblem WarriorsAstral ChainSplatoon 3
Super Mario OdysseyTetris 99Xenoblade Chronicles 3
Snipperclips PlusLegend of Zelda: Links AwakeningBayonetta 3
Xenoblade Chronicles 2Ring Fit AdventureSequel to Breath of the Wild
Luigis Mansion 3
Pokemon Sword and Shield
Brain Training
        Though there aren't as many games as 2019, I think some of the more meatier games make up for it. Plus, there are bound to be one or two surprises. I'd say 2022 has this in the bag. 

Jumpin said:
      Kakadu18 said:

They didn't? I could have sworn they talked stuff for today, later in February, and March.

Oh you mean this winter? Oopsy. Yeah there was some stuff.

RolStoppable said:

Switch Sports isn't quite as packed with different sports as one would have hoped, but it's still miles better than how they treated the Wii U. I suppose this was the teased "sequel to a casual game" we've heard about recently, not a 1-2-3-Switch which didn't make sense to begin with.

We'll almost certainly see at least some DLC expansion. Especially if the game blows up in popularity.

Kakadu18 said:
      Jumpin said:

Oh you mean this winter? Oopsy. Yeah there was some stuff.

Haha, all good.

RolStoppable said:

This was a packed Direct where the first party content was so good that it makes one overlook how mediocre the third party software was. But lacking third party is what I've come to expect from Nintendo Directs, because the games they highlight usually differ from the ones I end up buying.

The Mario Kart 8 DLC tells us a couple of important things: Mario Kart 9 won't release on Switch, unless Nintendo goes the Game Boy Color route of an excessively long generation. Switch's successor will definitely not launch by the end of 2023.

It has to be said again, the first party lineup is great. Xenoblade Chronicles 3 marks the cutoff as a September 2022 release.

Switch Sports isn't quite as packed with different sports as one would have hoped, but it's still miles better than how they treated the Wii U. I suppose this was the teased "sequel to a casual game" we've heard about recently, not a 1-2-3-Switch which didn't make sense to begin with.

Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes isn't quite the Fire Emblem game I expected to hear about, but I'll take it nonetheless. Mario Strikers isn't something that I am interested in, but it's a good business decision to bring back football.

All in all, the first nine months of 2022 could hardly be better from a quality and sales perspective. But...

Where's my Atelier Iris HD trilogy? I guess I have to direct myself to the second sentence of the first paragraph for that one. Or will 2022 be the first year since 2017 (0 Atelier games) with less than two titles from the Atelier universe?

2017 had an Atelier game though. It was 2020 where no Atelier game released in the west.