By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu sales: Week 3, 2022 - (10th Jan - 16th Jan)

Agente42 said:

Capcom launches a game with a good install base. It´s another situation here.

Is it? How so? DQ 12 is on its first stages of development, I'd say it's targeting a 2024 release 

Around the Network

Basically, common sense applies. Switch would by far be the biggest audience for DQ12, so that should be the targeted platform, and they can easily port that to the more powerful systems/PC. It will sell enough on non-Switch systems to warrant a port, and it will sell enough in the west to warrant it as well, where non-Switch systems have more than the meager presence they have in Japan. Most of the sales are going to come from the Switch, but that doesn't mean they should limit its userbase by not releasing on other systems as well. Expect a Switch & PS5 launch on the same day, though I suppose it might release in Japan before the west because of localization.

Slownenberg said:

Basically, common sense applies. Switch would by far be the biggest audience for DQ12, so that should be the targeted platform, and they can easily port that to the more powerful systems/PC. It will sell enough on non-Switch systems to warrant a port, and it will sell enough in the west to warrant it as well, where non-Switch systems have more than the meager presence they have in Japan. Most of the sales are going to come from the Switch, but that doesn't mean they should limit its userbase by not releasing on other systems as well. Expect a Switch & PS5 launch on the same day, though I suppose it might release in Japan before the west because of localization.

I think this is the rational way. 

IcaroRibeiro said:
noshten said:

Some think a franchise that does over 50% of its sales in Japan is going to be aiming to alienate its biggest audience chasing the West. Its far more likely for the game to be exclusive on the Switch than aiming for PS5/Series exclusivity with Horii in charge

Capcom did that with a franchise that used to sell over 80% of its sales in Japan and now they have a worldwide hit with 20 million sales at cost of ~2million sales in Japan, I doubt they are feeling any remorse.

But of course, Dragon Quest is a JRPG and there is no precedence for JRPGs selling that much in West, Square main JRPG is West in Final Fantasy and XV sold "only" 10 million even with a PC release, so PS5/Series exclusivity is far beyond question, it will never happen, period. 

3.3mil physical

Agente42 said:
noshten said:

Some think a franchise that does over 50% of its sales in Japan is going to be aiming to alienate its biggest audience chasing the West. Its far more likely for the game to be exclusive on the Switch than aiming for PS5/Series exclusivity with Horii in charge

Horii chase PlayStation audience and have to make a 3ds version to support the adventure.

Exclude the market leader with a game series historically launch on a Japanese market leader it´s not a good rational practice. 

That was years ago, before the PS brand died in Japan,so anything's possible now

我是广州人

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:

Capcom did that with a franchise that used to sell over 80% of its sales in Japan and now they have a worldwide hit with 20 million sales at cost of ~2million sales in Japan, I doubt they are feeling any remorse.

But of course, Dragon Quest is a JRPG and there is no precedence for JRPGs selling that much in West, Square main JRPG is West in Final Fantasy and XV sold "only" 10 million even with a PC release, so PS5/Series exclusivity is far beyond question, it will never happen, period. 

You can't compare DQ and MH they're not even close to the same situation, World didn't replace the portable line it simply carried on the dormant console line so wasn't a big risk as both World and Rise were in development at the same time, Rise continues on from where the 3DS line left off so Capcom were never risking the huge sales in Japan to begin with the console games were more lite in sales compared to the portable side so risk isn't even 2m sales as you think the highest selling console game before World was Tri with 1.05m in Japan that's what they really were gambling.

Kakadu18 said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

3.3mil physical

I meant how much the lost with World compared to previous entries 

IcaroRibeiro said:
Kakadu18 said:

3.3mil physical

I meant how much the lost with World compared to previous entries 

Barely a million then. The only one that came close to 5mil was portable 3rd with 4.9mil.

Kakadu18 said:

Barely a million then. The only one that came close to 5mil was portable 3rd with 4.9mil.

According to this leak it had sold a bit less than 3.2 million in PS4 (JP figures) so it's about 1.7 million less than what 3 did on PSP (4.9 million)

https://twitter.com/AsteriskAmpers1/status/1331452895703789569?s=20

The cutoff point for the top 30 means no game on PS4 or 5 moved more than 1892 retail copies this week.
That's a very low bar, and not a good sign.