By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Game Recommendations

curl-6 said:

Two main things:

1: What kind of genres or experiences are you looking for in general?

2: Would you consider getting multiplats like Witcher 3 or Doom Eternal or do you have another system you'd rather get those one?

I also game on PC, but I feel like I don't get to play much there.  Think I will be able to play more on the Switch.  So yeah, I am open to multiplats.

I'm open to a lot of different genres.  I mostly avoid racing simulation, and rouge-likes.  I like Metroidvanias, platformers, action-adventure...probably most other genres too.  If it is good, I will give it a shot.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network

Found a pretty cool website called www.dekudeals.com that has price histories on the eshop. Looks like a lot of these games go on sale pretty frequently, so I don't really need to be in the hurry I thought I needed to be.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing

mZuzek said:

If you've never played Okami, that's as big a stand out as there is. Best version of a masterpiece.

Personally I'd recommend Astral Chain, think it's one of the system's best exclusives.

I am strongly considering Okami.  I have it on the Wii, but you have mentioned before this is the best version.  I stopped on the Wii about half way through (I think), so this may be a good time to go back to it.

What mode did you play it in?  Handheld?  With the Joycons for motion control?

Last edited by theRepublic - on 29 December 2021

Now Playing

theRepublic said:
curl-6 said:

Two main things:

2: Would you consider getting multiplats like Witcher 3 or Doom Eternal or do you have another system you'd rather get those one?

I also game on PC, but I feel like I don't get to play much there.  Think I will be able to play more on the Switch.  So yeah, I am open to multiplats.

I'm open to a lot of different genres.  I mostly avoid racing simulation, and rouge-likes.  I like Metroidvanias, platformers, action-adventure...probably most other genres too.  If it is good, I will give it a shot.

Okay, well in addition to my previous recommendations (and again only including games I can personally vouch for from my own collection) then I'd also throw in Luigi's Mansion 3, Yoshi's Crafted World, Sniper Elite 4, and Trine 4. 

dekudeals is excellent for price history of Switch games

Around the Network
theRepublic said:
curl-6 said:

Two main things:

If you like Metroidvanias, you have almost certainly played Hollow Knight, but in the slim chance you haven't, Hollow Knight. 

New eShop sale!
Some personal highlights:

Donut County,
Enter the Gungeon, FRAMED Collection, Horizon Chase Turbo, INSIDE, Mighty Gunvolt Burst, Neo Cab, Pikuniku, Red Faction: Guerilla, Scribblenauts, The Bridge, Thumper, Tricky Towers.

Edit: Crawl and Death Squared are on sale too.

Last edited by ireadtabloids - on 30 December 2021

Celeste
Dead Cells
Mario Odyssey
Link's Awakening

"If new things are so great, where have they been the whole time?"

For anyone curious, before the sale ended I bough Bastion and Limbo. Both of them added together were like $5, so quite the deal for 2 games. I have a hell of a backlog, so didn't want to buy too much at once.

Last edited by theRepublic - on 06 January 2022

Now Playing

mZuzek said:
theRepublic said:

I am strongly considering Okami.  I have it on the Wii, but you have mentioned before this is the best version.  I stopped on the Wii about half way through (I think), so this may be a good time to go back to it.

What mode did you play it in?  Handheld?  With the Joycons for motion control?

If what you think is halfway through is the part of the game I'm thinking about, that's probably a pretty normal time to stop. The game's pacing does suffer a bit around the middle of the game, but when things get exciting again, it's hype all the way.

I played it docked, with the split joy-cons on each hand like it'd be with the wiimote+nunchuk. The motion controls work wonderfully well like this, and the feedback on the HD rumble is super immersive when running around - it's kinda ridiculous that the best use of the feature I've seen is in an old third-party port, but alas. The HD rumble and gyro controls are what sets the Switch version apart from the other HD ports, but any of the HD ports still have big advantages over the Wii version, those being 1080p, the full non-botched ending (the Wii version had the credits and after-credits scenes inexplicably removed), better skippable cutscenes, and, well, you don't need to waggle your controller to do an attack.

Thanks. I am definitely going to pick this up.  Maybe next time it goes on sale, assuming I get through a few other games first.

Now Playing