By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch Sales Top 100 Million - Global Hardware Dec 11 to 18

Is it still safe to assume all manufacturers are selling everything they make?

Around the Network

Congrats to Nintendo for the Switch. They did almost everything perfectly with the Switch marketing cycle and it still has a bright future in front of it. So it is now the 2nd fastest console to reach 100 millions only behind the mighty DS. Next week, it will take down the Wii and maybe the PS1. It should end the year between 102-104 millions.

2022 can still be a 20+ million year too imo. Demand will start getting lower on a weekly basis but the big titles will help maintain the total afloat. There is multiple occasion for Bundles and limited Switch edition next year, more availability for the OLED and of courseeeeeeeee a price cut.

Now, Nintendo please, i have been waiting on YEARS on some game to drop in pricing. Can you just enter the "cheap" cycle of the Switch's life with Nintendo select titles and a price cut already. I swear games like Fire emblem, Xenoblade, Metroid, Kirby, Donkey Kong, Pikmin would need it. These aren't franchises that have enough recognition to sell at full price with blind eyes. New consumers need a kick to try these and this will only be helpful knowing all these games have new titles coming sooner or later. Build the hype by allowing more people to play.

The Switch is like the kid who gets A+ without even needing to show up in class

Something is wrong with the weekly figures in the hardware by date tool for Xbox. I noticed it last week but thought it might just be adjustments waiting to update but the problem has remained.

Monthly/Yearly figures add up to the same in the OP, 11,000,918 but the weekly figures add up to 11,090,728.

Monthly and weekly figures are in-line at the end of the October so the weekly figures in the tool are wrong in November, and I believe this is the only way to get up to date weekly figures after adjustments.

So let’s say switch ends 2021 at 102. With the current line up of games for 2022 (and if some are delayed to 2023), future price drops, and bundle opportunities, and quite a few unannounced games; if the switch sells 20-22 Million in 2022, and between 16-18 M in 2023, that would bring switch sales to 138-142 range. If nintendo holds the announcement of the new console till 2023. For a 2024 late or 2025 early launch, switch might have a shot at becoming the highest selling console of all time.

Around the Network
Maynard_Tool said:

So let’s say switch ends 2021 at 102. With the current line up of games for 2022 (and if some are delayed to 2023), future price drops, and bundle opportunities, and quite a few unannounced games; if the switch sells 20-22 Million in 2022, and between 16-18 M in 2023, that would bring switch sales to 138-142 range. If nintendo holds the announcement of the new console till 2023. For a 2024 late or 2025 early launch, switch might have a shot at becoming the highest selling console of all time.

Yup exactly. It all depends on how long it will remain on the market as a main system and what Nintendo's approach for next gen will be. We don't know what their next system will be and they might still release add new Switch system to the family. I still find it weird they would change their screen as a mid gen upgrade but not a slight power boost. I just think they planned to released 2 new models of Switch but they could only afford to release the OLED bc of low production numbers. Let's see if that other model will still be considered as a Switch or just reworked as a full on successor.

Platform number 7 to join the 100m club, on another note even though it's 100m it's still two parallel markets (Home and Portable) so the potential to have two more 20m or so years is there.

Last edited by Wyrdness - on 27 December 2021

It's surely surpassed the Wii by now, and is getting closer to the PS1. I think 2022 will be the last big year for Switch hardware sales. But 2023 will still be significant, it just won't be 2020-2022.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Wman1996 said:

It's surely surpassed the Wii by now, and is getting closer to the PS1. I think 2022 will be the last big year for Switch hardware sales. But 2023 will still be significant, it just won't be 2020-2022.

The only other thing Nintendo can do to give the Switch family one final boost to catch the PS2 and DS, besides price cuts and consistent software releases, is one last hardware revision in 2023. They can't pull some crap like a Lite OLED model lol, but release a slightly more powerful Switch. Not necessarily a full fledged "Pro" model, but something similar to what the New 3DS did, where the hardware was slightly more powerful, and with an Nvidia chip, adding DLSS could do wonders! A lot of people would either upgrade asap or those that have been holding out on the Switch because of power limitations would jump on it! 

gtotheunit91 said:

They can't pull some crap like a Lite OLED model lol

If they do that, I would be the first one to buy it