By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Well, never thought this would happen, but I got an xbox

zero129 said:
Runa216 said:

Nothing to be ashamed about. the console itself is great and while they haven't lived up to their potential for me personally (yet), they've got the most room for improvement and a tonne of promise over this next generation. I hope they succeed more this generation than they did last so I can have an excuse to get one. 

also, if I could get a subscription model to get it with GamePass and XBLA, I would in a heartbeat. it's like 40 CAD a month for it, a price I could afford. 

Has any nextgen console so far?

Games like returnal and ratcher certainly have their moments and have offered true next gen gaming. Miles morales is another one. The interface, speed in moving around, the instant loading, it's amazing what this new generation has to show. 

Around the Network
zero129 said:
Runa216 said:

Nothing to be ashamed about. the console itself is great and while they haven't lived up to their potential for me personally (yet), they've got the most room for improvement and a tonne of promise over this next generation. I hope they succeed more this generation than they did last so I can have an excuse to get one. 

also, if I could get a subscription model to get it with GamePass and XBLA, I would in a heartbeat. it's like 40 CAD a month for it, a price I could afford. 

Switch and PS5 both have. Both had arguably the best first years in console history, both releasing games on my top 50 list as well as fantastic ports of previous gen titles and upgraded versions of old games. This isn't the place for a console war, but much of my disappointment in Xbox comes from the sheer contrast between Series X's first year and the first years of Switch and PS5. 

Seriously, PS5 has released so many games (exclusive and multiplat) that I haven't been able to keep up and I work from home...sooooo....

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

KratosLives said:
Runa216 said:

It's 40 a month? Is that cheap or over priced?

in CAD? Not terrible, especially if split three ways. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Runa216 said:
zero129 said:

Switch and PS5 both have. Both had arguably the best first years in console history, both releasing games on my top 50 list as well as fantastic ports of previous gen titles and upgraded versions of old games. This isn't the place for a console war, but much of my disappointment in Xbox comes from the sheer contrast between Series X's first year and the first years of Switch and PS5. 

Seriously, PS5 has released so many games (exclusive and multiplat) that I haven't been able to keep up and I work from home...sooooo....

Okay, but I don't think that is what he's talking about.   I think it's pretty universally agreed so far that there have been no amazing technical achievements that wow us and make us feel like we've really moved into a new generation.

The solid state drives definitely are a big improvement. But, beyond that, no games have done anything super special.   And I think that's fine. We're one year into the generation. But, it is a fact that there just hasn't been anything amazing yet this generation that couldn't have been done last.

VAMatt said:
Runa216 said:

Okay, but I don't think that is what he's talking about.   I think it's pretty universally agreed so far that there have been no amazing technical achievements that wow us and make us feel like we've really moved into a new generation.

The solid state drives definitely are a big improvement. But, beyond that, no games have done anything super special.   And I think that's fine. We're one year into the generation. But, it is a fact that there just hasn't been anything amazing yet this generation that couldn't have been done last.

Haptic feedback on the dual sense is a new gen feature that feels unlike anything from before, and has been implemented great on a few title. Also ratchet on ps5 is amazing.  Some levels that have so much on screen detail and thousands of calculations and objects on screen, with insane detail and sharpness. When playing the  last ratchet on ps4, you think how amazing it looks at times, and you imagaine what to expect from a next gen title, but you can;t really see it in your head. Then when you play it, if you go back and compare, you see huge differences, and the changes at times are that substantial, it's mind blowing.  It i a 12 yr gap roughly of gpu/cpu advancements. 

Around the Network

Looking forward to seeing your impressions!

zero129 said:
VAMatt said:

Yep 100% what i meant, Both consoles offer great games, so honestly dont see how Runa cant accept that. But also so far other then that matrix demo the has been nothing to show off both consoles true power and like you say that is fine as they are still only young into the gen. However having Runa seem like his disappointed with a console he doesnt even own while praising PS5 (Even more so with the games he mentioned) just looks one sided thinking to me.

I mean if we are going just by games pretty much every Xbox first party game has been upgraded for free for Series X, then we have great xbox exclusives like Halo Inf, Flight sim, Forza H5, Psychonauts 2 etc.

Then you need to be more clear with your questions. I thought we were talking about games, not power. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

axumblade said:

Hope you enjoy it!

There's a lot of great experiences on Gamepass not only from this generation but from the previous few generations as well.

Also, you can play a lot of Gamepass games on mobile too. So if you have a decent phone and connection, you can should either get a controller attachment or sync up any Bluetooth controller to your phone (even dualsense, Xbox controllers or dualshock.)

You mean gamepass xcloud on mobile? I tried that before and wasn't that great. The latency put me off and the resolution drop.

zero129 said:
KratosLives said:

You mean gamepass xcloud on mobile? I tried that before and wasn't that great. The latency put me off and the resolution drop.

I tried it before too and it was shitty. After trying it recently it works great so maybe you should give it another go if you have good internet.

My internet is 150 mb, and 50 uploads. I have fast internet. Forza horizon 5 wasn't a good experience, I had half a second to a second delay.  halo infinite was fine untill I got to the outdoor area. Though the resolution was never sharp, or maybe the game is naturally like that. But once I stepped outside, game had muddy textures, wasn't a smooth experience so I gave up. Maybe it's a latency issue, not sure where the xcloud servers are located.

XBox is green and so is money. Something to think about long and hard.

Think about it, it could save your life!