By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Article Downvotes should be removed - Yay or Nay?

Should down votes be removed?

YES!!! 22 27.16%

NO!!! 45 55.56%

Keep it but stop comments from being removed 14 17.28%

Total:81
Hiku said:
TalonMan said:

Edit: Immediately after I posted this, I'll note that the comment right before mine supports my "theory" that there are people who click the thumb and then also post something, too!! LOL!!!

And here's another. ;)

Myself, @Ryuu96 and several others have discussed the idea of making votes (both for articles and forum posts) non-anonymous, and that seems to be a solution that a lot of people in here think could solve or mitigate the problems.

What's your take on that? And would that also be too much effort to code at the moment?
The reason I ask is because I believe we discussed this when you first introduced forum likes. So perhaps it's something you've already coded in, but just disabled it? At least for forum likes.

You should take into account there is already an option to hide who "liked" your comment. Resulting in "Somebody agreed with your post".

Would we be removing the anonymity?

You are bound to love Earthbound.

Around the Network
Bandorr said:
Hiku said:

And here's another. ;)

Myself, @Ryuu96 and several others have discussed the idea of making votes (both for articles and forum posts) non-anonymous, and that seems to be a solution that a lot of people in here think could solve or mitigate the problems.

What's your take on that? And would that also be too much effort to code at the moment?
The reason I ask is because I believe we discussed this when you first introduced forum likes. So perhaps it's something you've already coded in, but just disabled it? At least for forum likes.

You should take into account there is already an option to hide who "liked" your comment. Resulting in "Somebody agreed with your post".

Would we be removing the anonymity?

Right. Not just for the person who received the Like, but visible to everyone, like how it is on most social media.

It would likely reduce instances of people encouraging toxic posts. And to a lesser degree, people trying to one-up a well written argument with a short snappy insult, because they know those type of comments tend to receive more likes. That's the internet for you, sadly.

TalonMan said:

...late to the party and don't have the stamina now to actually read through 100+ comments here, but I would just note a few things:

- On the "up votes" in posts, @Ryuu96 already stated their exact purpose - to eliminate the "Agreed!" or "Truth!" or similar spam-like posts. I sincerely doubt somebody clicking the "up vote" ever had any intentions of posting "I agree, and for these reasons..." and then decided to just hit the thumb. If they had something to add to the discussion, they simply would - I really don't believe they wouldn't suddenly decide to short-circuit their thoughts like that, just because the option is there. If anything, I think more people actually click that thumb and then ALSO post something in the thread. Very hard for me to offer proof in any way, so just speculation on my part.

- On the "voting power" for Supporters in articles - I definitely like the idea of limiting the use of them to a "extra votes per day" or "extra votes per week" basis. That said, I also have no interest in coding for that at the moment as it would take some effort - effort that I can't spare right now. Perhaps if the need arises to make additional changes to the comment section, this is something that can be worked on at the same time. But imo, that functionality is fairly solid at the moment and I think I'll leave it alone for now. :P

Edit: Immediately after I posted this, I'll note that the comment right before mine supports my "theory" that there are people who click the thumb and then also post something, too!! LOL!!!

People give ideas left and right without knowing what it takes to implement it. Its easy to talk.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:

People give ideas left and right without knowing what it takes to implement it. Its easy to talk.

Ideas don't hurt though, do they?

Zkuq said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:

Oh i am not sure about that, some hurt

Around the Network
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Zkuq said:

Oh i am not sure about that, some hurt

Does this bear any relevance in this context though? None of the ideas presented in this discussion seem to hurt anyone, unless I missed one that does, and I'm personally not expecting to see any ideas in this thread that are going to hurt anyone either.

So maybe mods should check out some of my posts thats getting down voted to hell again on that Final Fantasy article and then try telling me some users are not using their down votes in bad faith (Or just hitting down vote the minute they see my name). Otherwise i dont know how replying to Victor thats saying how xbox has no games etc etc by me saying all 3 are doing great and to just enjoy the system and the games you have is getting piled on with down votes.
Showing names is going to be no good when it still allows some group of users to have 2-5x voting power. Remove the down votes allow supporters to have a limited number of up votes per week month. Or if your going to leave them with 2-5x down votes limit that even more.
And can anyone even explain to me why where the only site that allows this?. Unless VGC wants to drive Xbox and PC gamers away from the articles on this site this needs fixing. and like i said just showing the names is no fix.

zero129 said:

So maybe mods should check out some of my posts thats getting down voted to hell again on that Final Fantasy article and then try telling me some users are not using their down votes in bad faith (Or just hitting down vote the minute they see my name). Otherwise i dont know how replying to Victor thats saying how xbox has no games etc etc by me saying all 3 are doing great and to just enjoy the system and the games you have is getting piled on with down votes.
Showing names is going to be no good when it still allows some group of users to have 2-5x voting power. Remove the down votes allow supporters to have a limited number of up votes per week month. Or if your going to leave them with 2-5x down votes limit that even more.
And can anyone even explain to me why where the only site that allows this?. Unless VGC wants to drive Xbox and PC gamers away from the articles on this site this needs fixing. and like i said just showing the names is no fix.

I assume you are referring to the "And this is why I went ps5 instead of Xbox this generation," comment from Victor that is -5 right now.

And your response "It almost sounds like your trying to convince yourself of your stance, so in this case MS must be doing something right " that is sitting at -8.

VIctor is explaining that HE doesn't miss most games. HE misses Halo. He has access to Ori, and doesn't care for Horizon. He will miss Elder scrolls and Fallout. So you trying to twist that to "Xbox has no games" just makes you look the fool.

And instead of responding to that you respond with a fairly obnoxious comment and end it with what I'm assuming is an odd smirk? Yet you wonder why your comment that adds no value, attempts to start a fight and generally comes off as douche gets downvoted?

And all this over two comments that are in the negative?

You are bound to love Earthbound.

Bandorr said:
zero129 said:

I assume you are referring to the "And this is why I went ps5 instead of Xbox this generation," comment from Victor that is -5 right now.

And your response "It almost sounds like your trying to convince yourself of your stance, so in this case MS must be doing something right " that is sitting at -8.

VIctor is explaining that HE doesn't miss most games. HE misses Halo. He has access to Ori, and doesn't care for Horizon. He will miss Elder scrolls and Fallout. So you trying to twist that to "Xbox has no games" just makes you look the fool.

And instead of responding to that you respond with a fairly obnoxious comment and end it with what I'm assuming is an odd smirk? Yet you wonder why your comment that adds no value, attempts to start a fight and generally comes off as douche gets downvoted?

And all this over two comments that are in the negative?

Wow. If thats your take from it clearly you didnt read the rest of his posts on that article. Not only do you take my post completely out of context (Along with trying to make his look better), So good job with doing what you where trying to say i was doing. Anyone can go to the article like i pointed out and see the full context of his posts and mine. My comment added value as he was clearly the one trying to start fights. "Xbox has nothing but Halo and Forza for a whole gen" in one post from him on that article. Or "PC and xbox gamers are not looking for great single player rpgs. Unless its wjrpg. Those would be a waste of money. They would sell really well on ps5 and switch."

Or "Microsoft would make more money by making that game for ps5, it would sell well on ps5, not at all on xbox, xbox gamers want forza and sports and call of duty, online stuff, ps5 owners want great single player games and also online."

"I've been hearing that story since the xbox series X launched over a year ago. Starfield is the only game that could come this year (I bet it will be pushed to 2023). " Or "PC is no home for neither Final fantasy or ubisoft games, assassins creed is usually not very well optimized for PC, and its understandable that these developers favour console as the PC is riddle with piracy." Or "Well it is not helping them. Where's VR for xbox? Where's the amazing game of the year level of exclusives? Where's the evolution in the controller such as adaptive triggers, haptic feedback, touchpad etc?
For a company with so much money, they seem to be on the cheap side."

You see a pattern from him here? (I could even keep going by adding more of his replys from that article here) clearly thats not console warring to you right?. My full reply after reading all that shit "It almost sounds like your trying to convince yourself of your stance, so in this case MS must be doing something right . Meanwhile everyone else is just enjoying their consoles (No matter what one they own) and their games. No matter the platform all of them have something for everyone.

Just to add context as your clearly here trying to make it look like i was the one posting in bad faith and trying to start fights.

Could we maybe remove negative scores? getting a downvote will not drop your comment below 0. Downvotes will instead just subtract any upvotes you have.

Last edited by Eric2048 - on 08 January 2022