By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Quick reply near impossible to use on mobile for forum replies due to ad

Hi there,

I recently tried to use quick reply on mobile to respond to a forum post.  However I found the ads hovered constantly over the button to submit my response.  Each time an ad ended I got a 0.4 second window to hit that button before the alternating ad began.  I refreshed the page in case this could solve the problem, but it resumed.

The workaround I used for the problem was to use the rich text function.  After that the button to submit another quick reply was still blocked, but I no longer needed to post.

I had a bit of spare time so I leaned more to being baffled and amused by the absurdity of it, rather than disgruntled.

However I hope it is something that is easily fixed if it affects more forum users.

Best of luck!

Around the Network
ireadtabloids said:

Hi there,

I recently tried to use quick reply on mobile to respond to a forum post.  However I found the ads hovered constantly over the button to submit my response.  Each time an ad ended I got a 0.4 second window to hit that button before the alternating ad began.  I refreshed the page in case this could solve the problem, but it resumed.

The workaround I used for the problem was to use the rich text function.  After that the button to submit another quick reply was still blocked, but I no longer needed to post.

I had a bit of spare time so I leaned more to being baffled and amused by the absurdity of it, rather than disgruntled.

However I hope it is something that is easily fixed if it affects more forum users.

Best of luck!

I use AdBlock (they don't care if I can use the site so I don't care if they get ad revenue) but the few times that I don't, the exact same thing would happen.

Yeah, it happens here too, it's kinda annoying

Well lately on mobile view at least there’s this ad (type) that pops up and literally takes up three quarters of the screen which pretty much keeps you from doing anything, even reading, and is obviously quite ridiculous, but there’s a much bigger window than 0.4 seconds between those. I’ve been meaning to take a screenshot. I can still get to the Post button though, I’m quick-replying this in mobile mode right now.

Must be a different type of ad that I’ve probably experienced and become desensitised too.

I wasn’t joking about that less than half a second thing either in case anyone wonders if I was exaggerating. It’s something that would have taken me a lot of practice to get my finger down on that button in time.

I’m presuming the idea isn’t to test whether we’re all elite gamers that can showcase our fast reactions and precision.

Around the Network

It's definitely one of the worst sites on the web if it comes to ad implementation. Even if you want to be nice and don't want to use an adblocker it's just not possible^^

I'm a paid supporter for two reasons:

1) This site is close to unusable because of ads, so I needed a way around that.

2) The supporter money goes directly to the people that make the site work. So, rather than propping up the bad business practices (among the worst add placement regimes on the internet) of the owner, I'm paying the people that make this place run in spite of the owner.

I'm a business owner myself, and I make a practice of not screwing businesses out of revenue. But, in the case of this site, ownership seems to be trying to make the site as unusable as possible. So, fuck 'em.

Anyway, get yourself bronze supporter status. It's cheap, the site becomes infinitely more usable, and you're helping support the people that support the site.

Yeah, I've seen the same problem on PC as well.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Thank you TrunksWD. I wasn’t aware of those things and bronze tier is within my budget when I choose to claim it.

trunkswd said:
VAMatt said:

I'm a paid supporter for two reasons:

1) This site is close to unusable because of ads, so I needed a way around that.

2) The supporter money goes directly to the people that make the site work. So, rather than propping up the bad business practices (among the worst add placement regimes on the internet) of the owner, I'm paying the people that make this place run in spite of the owner.

I'm a business owner myself, and I make a practice of not screwing businesses out of revenue. But, in the case of this site, ownership seems to be trying to make the site as unusable as possible. So, fuck 'em.

Anyway, get yourself bronze supporter status. It's cheap, the site becomes infinitely more usable, and you're helping support the people that support the site.

Thank you for being a Supporter. You are absolutely correct the money goes to the writing team and the admins who help keep the site running. The Supporters make a big difference.

We sadly aren't allowed to mess with the ads. I understand not everyone has the extra income to buy Supporter and how annoying the ads are, which is why people use Adblock. 

if anyone is curious here is the link to the Support page. If you just want to remove the ads and still support the site you only need the Bronze Tier, which is $2.50 for 1 month, $5 for 3 months, and $18 for 12 months.

I remember iirc it was a big issue around the time of the websites latest update with the unmoveable adds blocking the buttons, but it became better when Raven and the staff were finally given  permission to contact the ad supplier to work out any problems and since then i haven't had any problems besides the occasional  sponsored wallpaper ads but I should add I use a laptop for VGChartz.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot