By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Would a 360 update that fully enabled external hard drives be a big deal?

yeah you can read medias directly from an HDD already and you can transfer files with some soft from the xbox HDD to the computer....
but for movies I don't see the point you can't keep more than 12 hours once you started them..... it's more the DLC and the full games from XBLA and oldies from XB...
I don't see it happening for hack issues I guess...

Around the Network

@neoRatt
you mean I can download movies on my PC and save it to my external harddrive and see it through xbox360?

starcraft said:
I don't think it will happen. Too many piracy issues.
Modding and piracy are cool and MS should turn a blind eye to it and console sales would be boosted. External hard drives is a good idea. Cheap Third party hard drives would be a good idea, instead of crap MS only hard drives.

Coca-Cola said:
@neoRatt
you mean I can download movies on my PC and save it to my external harddrive and see it through xbox360?

yeap depends the format of the video though... even burned DVDs with movies on it lol :) it's more the other way the issue... stocking stuff from XBL on a external HDD...

Coca-Cola said:
@neoRatt

Yes, I do have my DVD movie library ripped to DivX and stored on the Western Digital Passport USB powered 250 GB hard drive.  When I want to play them through 360 I just connect the drive and choose the media source to the drive.

Around the Network
NeoRatt said:
I have a 250 Gb WD Pocket drive that is USB powered. You can connect to the 360 and play music and watch video from it (If you copy them onto the drive)...

The only thing you can't do with an external drive is put marketplace downloads and live arcade games on it. I do that with my 120 Gb 360 "rip-off" hard drive.

Unfortunately, this is what takes up the most space formost people.  20GB is ample for game saves, and most gamers don't stream the movies onto the Xbox.

Honestly, I expect thisfeature to be included in the Spring update--MS loves money, but we'll only spend so much of it in the Marketplace if we only have a limited space to put stuff.  I actually bought a 500-gb external drive, assuming it would be compatible with the 360.  Lo and behold it isn't, yet it's compatible with the PS3, which has FAR more space than I'll ever need...

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."