By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Would a 360 update that fully enabled external hard drives be a big deal?

I'm just curious... Microsoft continues to push the core/arcade as an option to the premium...  I'm just wondering if technically it would be feasible to connect an external hard drive and derive enough performance through the USB port (is it USB 2.0?) to make it a workable alternative to the snap-on drive?  I realize there may be a bus issue, but it would be a way out for MS.  They could continue to sell a "premium" or "elite" and sell a core to those that want to use an external drive instead.  Enabling external drives to work the same as the snap-on drive would be HUGE IMO.

This would be an interesting tack to take since it would "allow" MS to finally admit a hard drive is needed for developers to get the most out of the console and won't be hammered (as much) for admitting it and abandoning core users.  I've got a 500 gig drive I paid 80 bucks for at Best Buy... Why not be able to use it for save games, demos, etc.?  I know Microsoft wants to nickel and dime their customers to death, but this would be a smart move in my opinion (assuming there aren't any real technical limitations).

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Around the Network

Oh man...that would be sweet but i don't think its possible. Xbox live is a controlled environment. And you could put lots of hack patches cheats and mods on an external hard drive. It would be a modder's dream but I don't think microsoft would allow it...

I do not see them releasing an "all" usb compatible HDD patch. Perhaps a patch to allow only MS branded HD much like they do with harddrives now.

yeh man that would be a big deal it would be realy good because then you would not have to pay so much money for a hd that is made just for the 360. And you would be able ti upgrade it yourself to whatever hd size would be nice.

disolitude said:
Oh man...that would be sweet but i don't think its possible. Xbox live is a controlled environment. And you could put lots of hack patches cheats and mods on an external hard drive. It would be a modder's dream but I don't think microsoft would allow it...

How would it be a modders dream more so than the existing hard drive?  Can't you access your PC's hard drive via media center as the system stands today?  I would think that with the right kind of security, it wouldn't be any different than the internal one.   I'm not into modding and hacking so I don't really know (or care) but I can't imagine it would be that difficult to lock down what type of access is allowed.  I guess I'm not seeing how an external USB drive would make it any easier to hack/mod xbox live than is currently the case...

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Around the Network
obieslut said:
yeh man that would be a big deal it would be realy good because then you would not have to pay so much money for a hd that is made just for the 360. And you would be able ti upgrade it yourself to whatever hd size would be nice.

Yeah, I agree. Then Everyone would just buy Arcades and get HUGE Harddrives. Also, People wouldn't need to buy a $50 device from Datel to change save files. XBL cheaters wold triple or quadriple. Just look at StripClubDJ On Xbox Live. He Got his GamerScore reset to 0 for cheating :D. Personally, After getting all skulls in Halo 3, among many others (Too Close To THe Sun, Pink Mist, ect.), THEN getting a Live account, I would have LOVED to transfer those Achievements over to my Live account.

There is already external storage available through the USB port. The 360 HDDVD peripheral has built in memory that can be accessed through the system. So in answer to the question yes it is technically feasible. Furthermore the device serves as a USB hub so for those technically inclined it may even be possible to abuse the player in some manner. I am rather shocked that some means to exploit this has not been devised.

Microsoft have to do this soon.
with all the movies and other downloads, 20gb is not enough.

I have a 250 Gb WD Pocket drive that is USB powered. You can connect to the 360 and play music and watch video from it (If you copy them onto the drive)...

The only thing you can't do with an external drive is put marketplace downloads and live arcade games on it. I do that with my 120 Gb 360 "rip-off" hard drive.

I don't think it will happen. Too many piracy issues.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS