By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Game Awards Thread (2021) It Takes Two Wins GOTY

What excites you most about TGA?

The winners 2 4.44%

The tears of the losers 2 4.44%

Geoff getting visibly frustrated 1 2.22%

Game Announcements 26 57.78%

The guy who voices "world premiere" 4 8.89%

When the credits role 2 4.44%

Revealing viewership from last year to brag 0 0%

Josef fares... Anything to do with the man 4 8.89%

Live Music 0 0%

A rumored game once again not bring announced 4 8.89%

Total:45

Looking forward to the announcements.

Around the Network

I don't look forward to the biased shit show awards. Just hope for a trailer or two that interests me. TGA's have been a joke since inception.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:

I don't look forward to the biased shit show awards. Just hope for a trailer or two that interests me. TGA's have been a joke since inception.

You can say the same for just about any award show.

People only watch TGA for the reveals anyway.

It's like I said, it's Winter E3 with an award show attached to it.

Leynos said:

Then why bother posting here? Are you trying to convince others to not watch it?

There are a TON of trailers shown, many for games none of us knew were coming. It's live, like the good ole E3 days, which adds a flair of excitement. It always has ridiculous things going on and being said, which is amusing. I always am at least amused when watching it, and often times leave feeling very excited for newly announced games.

Nintendo and Xbox tend to be pretty big contributors to TGA as far as trailers and reveals, so I'm hoping for BotW 2 and Avowed trailers at the top of my list! Hellblade II is probably the worlds worst kept secret lol not a huge Sonic fan, but I'm looking to seeing what they cooked up. I imagine we'll get a final trailer for Elden Ring and maybe Horizon: Forbidden West

I'm also hoping that Obsidian's rumored Disco Elysium-esque detective rpg, Pentiment, gets announced!

Around the Network
axumblade said:

Hope you don't mind, I updated the title of the thread since tomorrow is now today!

Thanks!

I won't be able to watch it live but hopefully we get some good announcements tonight.

shikamaru317 said:

I'll be watching for the game reveals and trailers. Critics usually make awful choices on most of the actual awards.

Who are the ones that vote on the awards? Is it companies like IGN and GameSpot that have a vote?

gtotheunit91 said:
shikamaru317 said:

I'll be watching for the game reveals and trailers. Critics usually make awful choices on most of the actual awards.

Who are the ones that vote on the awards? Is it companies like IGN and GameSpot that have a vote?

Go to the website and click the jurors section, if I recall. I think there are over a 100 media partners that get to vote and IGN is one of them. Probably all the big wigs, if I had to guess. So I guess the reason that this is different than just going off of the highest metacritic score for the year, is that TGA isn't influenced by small potato reviewers trying to make a name for themselves by writing up a controversial score. Bigger reviewers don't need controversy to get clicks, so they can give an honest review. Smaller companies don't have the following, so to grow they could give something like Botw a 2/10 just to generate buzz. TGA won't have that problem as much.

Might be recency bias but having just beat Deathloop 2 nights ago I hope it wins game of the year. Loved Ratchet, Metroid, and Psychonauts but Deathloop surprised the hell out of me and is my favorite game of this generation so far.