By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Best movie opening?

Kill Bill 2, the discussion with The Bride and Bill, all in Black and White, a real love letter to cinema

Around the Network

When the title screen to The Wizard of Oz rolls and I hear the orchestra kick in, I am always instantly transported back to my childhood as if time has not advanced a single day. So while it's not technically what you're looking for, that gets my vote.

curl-6 said:

Star Wars: A New Hope - Leia's ship flying overhead, engaged in a furious firefight, followed by the gargantuan star destroyer that just keeps coming is still awe inspiring 55 years later.

Saving Private Ryan - The Omaha beach assault remains one of the most brilliantly intense and harrowing sequences ever committed to film.

Apocalypse Now - The living hell of the Vietnam war seen through the lens of a fever dream as This Is The End sets the tone perfectly.

Trainspotting - A barrage of pitch black wit and kinetic energy that catapults the viewer headfirst into the brilliant sage to follow.

I'm sure it'll still be awe inspiring in 2032 but Star Wars is 44 years old not 55.

Last edited by TruckOSaurus - on 17 November 2021

Signature goes here!

SKMBlake said:

Kill Bill 2, the discussion with The Bride and Bill, all in Black and White, a real love letter to cinema

What I also love about the scene is that because we already know what's coming there's a great tension filling every moment of it.

Signature goes here!

Scream (1996)

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:
SKMBlake said:

What I also love about the scene is that because we already know what's coming there's a great tension filling every moment of it.

Exactly. A small tender moment, even if we can see at Beatrix's reaction that she's afraid to see him, but also happy, somehow. And it all happens in an instant

TruckOSaurus said:
curl-6 said:

Star Wars: A New Hope - Leia's ship flying overhead, engaged in a furious firefight, followed by the gargantuan star destroyer that just keeps coming is still awe inspiring 55 years later.

Saving Private Ryan - The Omaha beach assault remains one of the most brilliantly intense and harrowing sequences ever committed to film.

Apocalypse Now - The living hell of the Vietnam war seen through the lens of a fever dream as This Is The End sets the tone perfectly.

Trainspotting - A barrage of pitch black wit and kinetic energy that catapults the viewer headfirst into the brilliant sage to follow.

I'm sure it'll still be awe inspiring in 2032 but Star Wars is 44 years old not 55.

This is what happens when I post late at night, when the caffeine has worn off and my brain has turned to potato.

Leon The Professional (1994) had an intense and well choreographed opening for a 90s movie. Also much more than just tooty shooty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a-rrDcdZEM

Team America: World Police
Southpark the Movie: Bigger, Longer & Uncut
Drive
The Watchmen
Night of the Living Dead (1990 Remake) "They are coming to get you Barbara"
Final Fantasy 7: Advent Children

Last edited by 00Xander00 - on 20 November 2021

I have (or have/had in the household): ZX Spectrum, Commodore 64, Amiga, NES, Sega Master System, Super Nintendo, Sega Megadrive, Gameboy, Playstation, Nintendo 64, Windows 95, Gameboy Colour, Windows 98, Sega Dreamcast, Gameboy Advance, PS2, Gamecube, Xbox, Windows XP, Nintendo DS, Xbox 360, Wii, PS3, Windows Vista, iPhone, Windows 7, 3DS, Wii U, PS4, Windows 10, PSVR, Switch, PS5 & PSVR2. :D

and I Don't have: Magnovox Odyssey, Any Atari's, Any Macintosh computers, Sega Gamegear, Virtual Boy, Sega Saturn, N-gage, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, PSP, PSVita & Andoid Phone. Plus any non-main-stream consoles/platforms I haven't mentioned.

Not the best opening of all time but the opening to Dawn of the Dead remake was fantastic...than the rest of the movie fell off.